WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: buckshot loads with reduced recoil using standard components

Boolit Buddy

buckshot loads with reduced recoil using standard components

I am looking for loads using activ hulls with standard wads or cheapie hulls with standard 1oz or 1 1/8 oz wads I have Hornady, Win and Rem trap and skeet wads for 1 to 11/4 oz
    and using .310 dia shot (they weigh 44-46 grains each) in 2 3/4 12 ga using Unique, Greendot, Bluedot HS6
    Reddot 1000-1100FPS is the goal
    we want all the ladies and youngsters in the family to be able to practice with low recoil buckshot loads and if need be they will not notice the full power stuff if ever need to use it.

thanks

Gutpile

Boolit Buddy
    -----
    Last edited by ovendoctor; 12-14-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: no comment

Boolit Grand Master
    Would not recommend 6 pellets of shot weighing 44 grains each. Total load weight would only be 264 grains or barely over 0.6 ounce, well under a 3/4 ounce load and too light for correct powder burning and pressures to develop. This is too low for a 12 gauge and risks bloopers.

3/4 ounce is 328 grains and you're way under that if only 6 pellets are used. Not a good idea. There is such a thing as too light, and if you want to shoot half ounce loads pick a 28 gauge or .410. The very lightest loads for 12 gauge are 3/4 ounce loads, and many of these are challenged to get even 7,000 psi if velocities are in the 1150 fps range....and this with specialized powders like Extra Lite which are faster than what you have available. 264 grains is pushing things ridiculously low.

More shot weight is better, higher pressures are produced which make a more ballistically desirable and clean burning load, and recoil will be quite light enough.

Load 9 of your .310" buck in a WAA12, WT12, or low cost equivalent like Claybuster in three layers of three. Use Red Dot, 700X, Clays, Extra Lite, etc. appropriate for 1 ounce loads with this....for instance, 16 to 17 grains of 700X, Red Dot, or Clays will serve. This is between 7/8 and 1 ounce in weight. This is intended for tapered hulls only as it uses tapered wads, and is appropriate for Remington brand, Winchester AA and the inexpensive Universal, and similar shells. Not for straightwall hulls.

This is exactly what I do with cast buckshot of identical diameter. Have at it and have fun. Unless a single shot with no recoil pad, recoil will be tolerable even from shorty "home defense" type guns.

Since the most suitable powder you have is Red Dot, use that. The rest are too slow for the 9 pellet load I suggest. Green Dot is on the fence, so go with Red Dot.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is not a matter of me being happy, ovendoctor. It is about giving good advice.