WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus warrenty is great

Boolit Master

Taurus warrenty is great

I bought a little 605 .357 a few years ago as a back up carry gun, started having problems with it not rotating the cylinder when the trigger was pulled so I mailed it in to Taurus and they fixed it all for free and it only took 2 weeks.
    They found and replaced a bunch of things on the gun, The hand was cracked, trigger had been reworked and was worn out, forcing cone was to small and shaving lead and all the springs were worn out. They opened up the forcing cone and retimed it after replacing all the worn parts and didnt cost me anything more than the shipping.
    Gun works like new again. I only use .357 125gr JHPs and 158 JHPs when I carry it but practice with my 130gr cast HPs at same velocities as the JHPs. its a comfortable little gun to shoot,

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Warranty may be good, but reading your description doesn't say much for the original product.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Was it purchased used? "found the trigger had been worked on" that statement leads me to believe it was a used gun. If so, the Warranty is a lovely thing to have available. The more Taurus revolvers I use and own the more impressed I become with the design, reliability and quality. I have a Taurus 44 Special and a S&W 44 Special, both stainless steel and only 6 years apart in age. The Taurus is a far better gun than the Smith, and I use them under identical conditions and ammunition. My other Smiths are good guns, but then my other Taurus guns are too. Dollar for dollar, the Taurus guns are a better value far beyond the difference in price.

Love my Taurus 454 Raging Bull that I got in 2000 haven't any problems with it. Glad to know that there warranty work is good.
    Judan

Boolit Master
    I used to have a Taurus 44 Tracker 5 shot. I loved to shoot that thing. I mean it was my favorite all around. Only thing is I only shot it at the range with muffs on. I wore that thing out 4 times or so and it was always made right, but Dang if I only got about 300 full house loads out of it before it started messing up. Then I shot it without plugs one day while coyote hunting. That ported barrel is a blessing on the range, but a pain in the ear without protection. I sent it back again and when it came back, I just got rid of it. Traded it in on a Ruger redhawk. A lot more weight, but no gas blast.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've a Ruger Redhawk for heavy load shooting and a Taurus Tracker that get's the nod for carry. The tracker never sees anything hotter than factory 240 grainers, and truth to tell, damn few of those. It does see a fair few 44 Specials, though. The Taurus REVOLVERS are excellent buys for the money. I remain to be convinced on their pistols.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

In Remembrance

Yes, they honored their warranty for my pistol - eventuality. However the problem arose in getting an operator that spoke English and not Spanglish. Also, an operator that understood what the parts I was trying to get were for, a REVOLVER and NOT a fully automatic weapon that she insisted I had! Haven`t even looked at a Taurus of any kind since that incident.Robert

Boolit Bub
    I purchased a PT99 used (years ago). I don't recall how many thousands of rounds I put thru it. The trigger would slip every once in a while. Brought to a deal near me and they sent it out. Taurus paid for the shipping, repair - no charge and then sent it back with an extra mag and a lock.

I don't have the gun anymore but Taurus stands up to their warranty.

Taurus should have the best warranty service in the industry considering it has the busiest warranty shop by far.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post
    Taurus should have the best warranty service in the industry considering it has the busiest warranty shop by far.
    Not sure if this a top notch marketing ploy. Do it right he first time, might work better!

I've got a Taurus tracker .357 mag. I bought about 15 years ago. I love this gun. Never had an issue with it. Very accurate. Fun to shoot. Solid all the way around. I know lots of you have had problems with them, and that's unfortunate. I guess I got a good one.
    Waco.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Me to...........

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Production numbers and international marketing numbers are currently unavailable and for that reason all the speculation is just that; speculation. The speculation that I read and hear about Taurus is that world wide they build and market far more units that any of the american based manufacturers. Taurus is also a major designer and builder of modern machine tools; think CNC machine tools and tooling. Taurus does a lot of contract component production also. Look for the "brazil" on Springfield Armoury products. Smith out sources; Smith denies it and Taurus won't say. HHHMMMM?????

Apparently no one looks inside these revolvers........

Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post
    Apparently no one looks inside these revolvers........
    tek,
    I have and I've got to admit that the machining on the side plates was a little rough.This was on a 605, like OP has. The single action was not to bad but the double was rough and had a bad stacking point in the pull. I did a little stoning on the high points, sear engagements, etc and traded out the springs (Brownells) and now it has a pretty sweet single and double action(not S&W smooth). I usually do a little stoning on any new gun I get anyways as there usually are burrs on all new guns including Ruger and S&W.
    This is my wife's primary CCW and it has never given her or me a bit of trouble. My wife got a pretty good deal on this gun new, $300.00 for the pistol, extra set of grips, nylon holster and a box of .357 magnums. This was back in 2006 or 2007 and we have probably shot 8000-9000 38 Spec. rounds and a couple hundred 357 magnums through it. I have heard some people have had reliability from Taurus guns but we haven't (we've got 3).
    I don't know much about their auto loader line up besides the PT1911. I did have to do a lot of work to get my PT1911 to group well but as the gun came from the factory it would fire and cycle anything that we fed it. In fact I can't remember a FTF or FTE in my PT1911. My biggest complaint was the ambi-safety that came on the gun. It was always coming loose and I was constantly working to keep it together. I finally just put a single paddle safety on it.
    jmsj

Banned
    Just to add to Thomas' post, he worked on numerous Taurus revolvers, for a gun shop. He is speaking from a standpoint of his actual observations. Thomas knows 'gunsmithing' , on that you can sell insurance. . . Certainly it would NOT discount the possibility of good ones being produced or perhaps major improvements in more recent Taurus offerings, as well.

I sure hope no one took the accounts of my experience with Taurus products as an insult or demeaning to their experiences with Taurus products.
    If this did offend anyone, I do apologize.
    jmsj

Boolit Master

That is all and good that he has experience with them, but the Two Taurus/ Rossi guns I have are well built. The only issue I have with Rossi is their sights are not very well regulated to their long gun's but that is a easy fix. Should we start now with all the complaints about Ruger and now Remington with their Marlin guns and theirs? How about Savage? There is not one gun company out there that does not make a few bad guns at one time or an other.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Banned
    I don't care what anyone complains about or brags on.

My post was simply to back up Thomas' post. He knows guns and he has worked on scores of Taurus revolvers.

It is all and good that the two you have are well built, but I posted to validate that Thomas is a truthful man and knows 'smithing.
    Last edited by Gibson; 12-15-2012 at 07:30 PM.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    A friend found an M-85 in the back of a junked car. It looked like someone had used it for a hammer. The cylinder would not turn, hammer would not cock. We sent it to Taurus and it came back running smooth as silk, and no charge. I put a set of grips on it and it shot like a dream. It's still one of my favorite pieces. It's no S&W but I like it none the less. The experience gave me a lot of confidence in the Taurus Co. They have stood behind the guns I've owned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast