Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official Lyman 12ga Sabot Slug Mould 525 grain Load Data Thread

Boolit Buddy
    I have fiddled with some of these slugs and SR 4756 just to get a handle on velocities, haven't worried too much about accuracy yet, though it seemed promising. Point of impact was virtually the same with all charges. This data was collected out of a Rem 870 fully rifled 20" barrel. I understand that not everyone will appreciate the metric units:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12gaslugdata_zps51421380.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	71788
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

I just tried this slug it shot like a dream, I used 31gr of Herco, trap commander wad in a 2 3/4" Cheddie hull, 870 remington fully rifled barrel bench rest 50yds, also 8 point crimp, anyone have any of these slugs for sale I would be interested. HC

Boolit Buddy
    Best Load: Hull=Winchester AA hull, Powder WSF=30 grains, Primer = Winchester 209, Wad Winchester WAA12F114 with a 20 gauge 1/8" shot card hot glued in wad cup. Hot glue shot card greatly increases accuracy, shoot at 100 yards. Shot several deer last several years, great load. Shot from Remington 1187 & 1100 rifled barrel. Pedal from wad do tear off. Spend several months trying different load. I roll crimp and 8 point crimp.

Boolit Master

My Mossberg 500 seems to like the Lyman 525 with 42 gr of Blue dot in a Claybuster WAA12 replacement wad with a W209 primer. I have a rifled slug barrel on it. I havent had time to fully test it, but at 25 yards, I'm getting 3 shot cloverleafs less than 1 inch. I need to adjust the sights to that load then move back to 50 yards or further for more taesting, but it looks promising. BTW, the hulls are Rem unibodies with a star crimp.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lyman 525 hollow base slug a little.

Name:	Cast 12 gauge Slug.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	72680

Except mine weigh around 468-470 grains when cast from my Mono-type alloy. Because of this I used some of the data for the 475 grain Lyman slug instead.

I use older 2 3/4 Win AA hulls, and have also used Peters (Blue Magic) hulls, Win 209 primers, and both WAA12 and WAA12R red & white wads. The two loads I have used are 36.0 grains of Hercules Blue Dot, and 32.0 grains of Hercules Unique.

Unique 32.0 grains, Win 209, Win AA hull, Win WAA12 wad, Lyman 475 pure lead slug.

Blue Dot 36.0 grains, Win 209, Win AA hull, Win WAA12R wad, 12 pellets 00 Buck.

Both loads are from the Lyman Third Edition Shot shell Handbook 1984-1991.

The Blue Dot load is intended for 00 Buck, but I've used it for both buckshot and the Lyman slug.

I haven't put it on paper, or shot it past 50 yards. I use it for an inexpensive & mild slug practice load.

- Bullwolf

Banned

What alloys are you guys who load these generally using? I'm curious if softer or harder alloys work better.

Boolit Mold
    I mold mine out of pure lead and use the following:
    AA Hull
    WAA12F114 Wad
    209 primer
    29 gr Univ Clays

I get about 4" @ 100 yards out of a Mossberg 695 and my Dad's H&R Ultra slug. I can't describe the devastation on deer and hogs. I haven't shot one end on, but it will not stay in a deer. I have 2 recovered from hogs and they are huge flat disks.

The 525 is an awesome slug!

Boolit Buddy
    I just used air cooled WW. They work fine for me. I also fill back end of slug with hot glue.

Boolit Buddy
    I just used air cooled WW. They work fine for me. I also fill back end of slug with hot glue. Also now use cheddite 3in hulls. They have a beefier base wad that hold up better under the pressure of this load. I shoot it out of a H/R ultra slugger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3764.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
    I just used air cooled WW. They work fine for me. I also fill back end of slug with hot glue. Also now use cheddite 3in hulls. They have a beefier base wad that hold up better under the pressure of this load. I shoot it out of a H/R ultra slugger
    excellent idea filling the base of the slug with hot glue

Doc.

Boolit Buddy
    "I also fill back end of slug with hot glue", l thought l was the only one . But l use shoe goop. do it twice cause it shrinks a mite. TrippleA white wad, cardboard spacer and 24 gr. green dot.

Boolit Bub
    This load works well for me:

Federal 12ga 2-3/4" new/primed/clear hull
    Win 209 primer
    WAA12 wad
    1/8 inch 20 guage card wad under the slug
    Lyman 525 slug
    25.0 grains of Herco
    8 fold crimp
    Dead on from my Mossberg 500 with rifled barrel and scope.

Boolit Master
    Why fill the back of the slug if you're using a shotcup-type wad?
    I'm just starting to try this slug with Fio. white 2-3/4" hulls 12s3 wad over blue dot, HS-6 & 4759.
    Having to use 2-0.125" cards as shims to make a good fold crimp.

No accuracy testing yet just finding out what powders/charges will work with what I have on hand. Tried RL17 but can't get it to light.
    Last edited by CHeatermk3; 09-20-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    "Why fill the back of the slug if you're using a shotcup-type wad?"
    l Would have never admitted to doing it if someone else hadn't said they did it first. Long answer is this, spent a lot of time trying to outshoot the 100 yard novices with a shotgun, Yes I cheated some, Rifled barrel did better and a tube of mercury added in the stock dampened recoil some. Picture some 1,000 dollar plus gun whose owner can't hit the target getting to watch a guy shooting a 12 gauge next to him do it. Anyway what worked for me was goop filled slug (watch for air bubbles). Triple A hull(2 3/4),wad , white , also added a corrugated cardboard spacer under slug for added height. Now nowhere will you see this and I don't say its safe, just worked for me. the charge was , and 20 years later still is, 24 grains of green dot.
    Short answer, Darn it was accurate. Problem I had is (in my opinion) shot guns have thin barrels and flex with heat. I could build a snake going up the target . it could be compensated for if you paid it mind. Plus side I got free range lead and green dot was cheap. I punched my spacers out with a 1/2 inch socket I ground to a bevel edge. Another answer could be heavy is better for elephants. When recovered those slugs still were filled with goop. It really is quite the fix it glue.

i spent

Boolit Bub

Used the 525 gr Lyman slug to harvest 5 whitetail.
    Fired in a Rem Express pump with a screw on Hastings rifled choke tube.
    Accuracy was about 3" at 50 yds and 6" at 100 yds. Zeroed at 100 and 3"-4" high at 50.
    Beyond 100 yds accuracy and drop made me call it a 100 yard gun.
    Iron sights fit to ventilated rib.

Winchester AA Blue Dot 44.0 Win 209 WAA12R 1474 9,200

Kicked hard, killed well.
    Last edited by Lon246; 09-24-2013 at 12:15 PM.

32 gr Longshot, Grey Claybuster (7/8 oz AA clone) AA hull shoots; 3" at 80 yds, can hit gong at 165 yds w/ 30" of holdover. Can not hit large sheet of card board at 180 yds. They destabilized after 165 or so and flew into a 15 foot pattern. At this range they still made pretty good sized holes in the prairie grass root structure.

I would agree about a 100 yds for hunting.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Lon246. I have a 12G 870 Rem and a Hastings rifled choke I have never used. Now to use it.
    Most of my use with the Lyman slug has been in the under barrel of a Bretta 12G. Also also used the 20G slug in the under barrel of a Browning Citori.
    Both shot to the sight which in both cases which were Lyman 3mm light pipes. Maximun group size a 50 yds was 2 inches off a bench. Of course only the lower barrel in both cases would shoot(regulate) to the sights. The over barrel in both cases shot high and to the left and 2-3 inches high
    and about the same left.
    The 20G performed best on paper at 50yds as shots were cutting each other occasionally. Have not shot at longer ranges.
    Both are used on hogs with buckshot in the over barrel.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Ive been casting and shooting this mold for years, mostly out of pump guns with great success.
    current load is winchester w.209 primers
    AA shells and WAA wads
    with a charge of 36 grn blue dot powder
    I just use a standard crimp.

Now there is a load that looks familiar.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-NEF-UltraSLug

Quote Originally Posted by Beagler View Post

Name:	target.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	96129 This is what works for me.
    Cheddie 2 3/4" Hull
    trap commander wad from BPI
    42.8grs of Blue dot

The target was 50yrds bench rest 870 with a 20" rifled barrel, bored sighted nikon scope. Good luck let us know how you do... HC Forgot to mention 6pt crimp.
    Last edited by hatcreek; 02-08-2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: crimp

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast