Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee swaging tool

Boolit Bub

Lee swaging tool

Ok this is where I need some help, I paid 10 dollars for a 458 swaging tool to size cast 458 for 45-70 etc.
    It did not have instructions so before I start using brute force I thought I would ask kindly for some info.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	55769
    The hardened steel top punch fits nicely into the top of the part marked 457.
    The 45C part is more of a mystery.
    Thank you , Ray

Boolit Master
    The 45c part is a cake cutter for cutting the boolit out of a lube cake after pan lubing.
    It might be to a different set for 45 colt

Boolit Bub
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy

These are the most important parts of an old-style Lee Lube kit. Missing are a small shallow round pan for the melted lube and the stick of lube. all of these came nestled in a box. I still use my kits when I want to lube and size a few bullets right away while experimenting with loads.

Boolit Bub
    the brown paper to the right contains the lube
    But this will not size?
    just lube?
    Thanks for the info

it doesnt actually lube , you have to pan lube the castings , then use the kake cutter to cut them free of the lube cake , then you use the sizer and ram to size them , as stated the cutter looks to be for a 45 colt , check the inside dia. if .452-.456 it's for a 45 colt only , it needs to be at least .457 for a 45/70 and larger would be preferred or in essence it'd be sizing instead of the sizer ( making pan lubing indeed more of a pain ) in essence the sizing part does work on "brute force" the blow of a hammer or rawhide ( etc ) mallet to be exact tho i'm sure a industrious fellow could make them work with an arbor press or some such ...look up pan lubing on how the lube part works and you may need to fashion a more properly sized cutter ( or maybe not if it's large enough to cut your 45/70 boolits out )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Bub
    Excellent, I will do the measurements before anything else, but it is good to hear that I can press the cast boolits thru this device without splitting it. does it matter nose or base to push and I will be using the Cu gas checks.
    Thanks again for the great info.
    Ray

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boneguru View Post
    does it matter nose or base to push and I will be using the Cu gas checks.
    Thanks again for the great info.
    Ray
    Put on the gas check, drop the boolit in the die nose first, install the plunger against the base, whack with a stick.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Bub

Directions for Lee Molding and Bullet Resizing

Here is a scan of the old directions for the Lee Bullet Resizing. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee Mold and Bullet Size.pdf 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	55933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee Hand Bullet Sizing.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	55932

Boolit Bub
    that is spectacular, thanks.
    I did get the pan as well but the box was destroyed so i used the box in the picture.
    I have been reloading since 84 but just got the bug to cast and try swaging, so all of the great info that is available here is incredible.

Boolit Master

One should probably clarify that sizing a boolit (which this Lee kit does) isn't quite what's normally called swaging (which involves forming the bullet from lead wire or a cast core, by compression, in dies); technically, in fact, it's a drawing operation (like that used to make wire).

Boolit Bub
    Got that, actually thinking to get a set of the dies that BTSniper is selling for the 458 Socom, they sure do look nice when they pop out of there.
    At the moment I am learning and starting with casting some lead and gas checking the results to see if there is any kind of accuracy to be had at all. 350gr+ per pull of the trigger gets expensive and I would like to also be able to actually hit things with some accuracy.
    The forum here is a great resource and I am enjoying all of the threads I have found so far.
    Thanks all

Boolit Master

Casting and paper patching is the cheapest way to go (beyond naked lead velocity limits); you can shoot as fast as jacketed bullets once you get the learning curve behind you. A good source of scrap lead is the best saving method there is...

Boolit Bub
    i gave been reading the thread on Powder coating as well and find that interesting, baby steps. I cast my first 458 last night with a lee pot into rcbs single cavity, rather satisfying to finish and have several hundred rather pretty 458's. now to lube, gas check and size. I have shot similar in my 45-70 with great results but these are intended for the Socom. Velocity will be around 1800 FPS so well within the capabilities of the checks.

Boolit Buddy

If the cutter will fit over your bullets enough that you can cut them out of the lube, your are in business. Melt the lube in a small enough dish or plan that the lube grooves will fit. (I use a heat gun for this) It will melt, then set up pretty fast. Experiment with the lube, try cutting the bullets out before the lube sets up completely; that way it will be much easier to do. Then use a mallet to drive the lubed bullet nose-first through the sizer, using the black pin to knock it through. It works well, just slower and a bit messier than the new generation lube kits.