RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Question about cast wheel weights running light?

Boolit Master

Question about cast wheel weights running light?

OK I have been shooting my 45/70 Roller Origional Number 5 Receiver and a Green Mountain Barrel. my load was 43 grains of 3031 for what I was guessing was around just over 1500 fps as I felt my bullet was as cast in the 405 range. Mould is the Lee hollow based one that drops them at .459. I run them through a Lee .459 sizer and lube with Lee Liquid Alox. I was shocked to find out after I weighed them that they are running around 375 grains? Now I guess I do not have an issue with the weight but now I know I will have to pull them and try a new load as I am sure these were probably going too fast for that bullet design. I will now have to figure out a load that is below 1500 since the bullet is lighter. Probably get better groups now too as they were about 4 inches at a 100 yards. I know I should be able to do better with a Green Mountain barrel. Now finding out the bullets are light I think I was pushing them too fast. What do you guys think what would 30+ grains difference make speed wise?
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd shoot them up and adjust the future loads if you desire. I think 4" 100 yard groups is acceptable using iron sights in a 45/70. Apparently you are not pushing that boolit too hard.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

My guess too (same as 454s). I'd experiment with different charges for accuracy. No reason why 1500 fps is magic, or that exceeding it would be a catastrophe. However, what is your groove diameter (size boolits a bit larger than groove diameter)? Do you seat your boolits' noses against the rifling? You could even try thumb-tite-only seating in that single shot if you wanted. What alloy are your boolits made of? I'd get a better lube while I was at it!

Boolit Master
    If you haven't already, I would try another lube. Since you aren't really sizing them, you could just hand lube them, assuming you don't have a lubrisizer. This will only cost you the price of a stick of lube. I have handlubed lots with Lyman super moly, and get great results. This is just one example of a good, readily available lube. Some really like the alox, but I would bet on a more conventional lube outshooting it. It may be worth a try.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
    OK I have been shooting my 45/70 Roller Origional Number 5 Receiver and a Green Mountain Barrel. my load was 43 grains of 3031 for what I was guessing was around just over 1500 fps as I felt my bullet was as cast in the 405 range. Mould is the Lee hollow based one that drops them at .459. I run them through a Lee .459 sizer and lube with Lee Liquid Alox. I was shocked to find out after I weighed them that they are running around 375 grains? Now I guess I do not have an issue with the weight but now I know I will have to pull them and try a new load as I am sure these were probably going too fast for that bullet design. I will now have to figure out a load that is below 1500 since the bullet is lighter. Probably get better groups now too as they were about 4 inches at a 100 yards. I know I should be able to do better with a Green Mountain barrel. Now finding out the bullets are light I think I was pushing them too fast. What do you guys think what would 30+ grains difference make speed wise?
    If I could shoot 4 inch groups at 100 yards I'd be VERY VERY pleased. Seems to me that this is a VERY good load. As to the weight, probably the stated weight was for a pure lead bullet. Switching to pure lead should, I think, add about 30 grains which would put the weight at 405.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replys I am sizing them using a Lee push through sizer .459. The bullets drop at .460 to .461. When the gunsmith put the Green Mountain Barrel on my number 5 action he slugged the barrel and recommended .459 bullets. Yes I am seating the bullets out so they just touch. I started a bullet and put the cartridge in the chamber and seated it with the bullet out just so I could close the action.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

Might have to try an other lube though I have had good luck with the LLA using 30 cal bullets in my 30/30 and K31 and 308. I see nothing wrong with it why do you guys think an other lube would work better? Not doubting ya just wondering?

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW - I'm using the Lee HB 405 grain mold and using pure wheel weights (with 2 % tin added) I'm getting about 385.5-386.6 grains. I did have a few that were lighter but none that were quite as light as yours. My guess is it could be a regional variation in ww composition or something.

Just my .02

Regards,
    Dave

Boolit Master

I am thinking I may have added some 50/50 solder to that batch and it lighted it up somewhat as my 30 cal bullets are straight wheel weights and they weigh 185 grains with a gas check and lubed and they are supposed to weigh 180 grains cast so they are right in the ball park.