Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Trade in Ruger SR9c for Sig P239?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Trade in Ruger SR9c for Sig P239?

The local fun store has a like new Sig Sauer P239 in 9mm for $490.00. I have a gently used Ruger SR9c with a few hundred rounds through it. I like the SR except for the trigger pull. I like everything about the Sig except for the high price, I had a P6 for awhile and it was a great gun, very accurate. I'm teetering on the edge here. Should I trade the SR9c on the Sig? I do business with this shop all the time and they will probably give me close to retail for the Ruger. Any advice yay or nay will be appreciated!!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm inclined to say 'nay." I'd do it for a P6 or a 225, but I'm no fan of the 239--just doesn't feel right to me, not worth the extra 140 bucks to me. I'd druther put the money into ammo and shoot the Ruger.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I'm kind of leaning that way because I don't have the cash right now. I actually like the way the P239 feels and would make the trade as an even swap. I recently sold my P6 to my best friend. Its a really nice gun and he has wanted it ever since I bought it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

If that 239 is anything like my German made 220, you will be taking a HUGE step up in quality.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master
    I have both the P6 and the P239 (9mm and shorty 40) and love the both of them. Never had problems with either of them. I can get the surplus P6 mags for about $20 each but the P239 mags here cost close to $50 a piece. The P6 is of course an old police turn in from west germany and has wear mostly on the finish of the slide. I like it as it gives it character. Frank

Boolit Grand Master
    If they'll trade staight up, then I'd consider doing it, but, if money is tight, and how often is it not, then you have to consider a holster, spare mags, maybe new sights...not mention any tax or transfer fee. Here in CA it's 35.00 bucks even if they give the gun away
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

P6 factory mags for 20.00? Everytime I see them they are at least $45.00. Here in KY there is no transfer fee or any thing like that. I like the P6 a lot but it flings brass everywhere due to the slide stop mounted ejector and its a little thick for CCW. The 239 addresses both of those issues as far as I can tell, also the slide is blackened stainless which is good for a carry gun.

Boolit Master

I really doubt that they'ed take you seriously if you offered to trade straight up, but the Ruger and $100 boot might get it. I just sold a P239 SAS on GunBroker for $700, and the guy used "Buy It Now", so that offers a little bit of indication of relative market values - even if you factor in some extra for the anti-snag.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

I went in to the shop at lunch and realized I had left the SR9c at home. I saw they finally got in a Kel-Tec PF9 so I put it in layaway purgatory. I have a Kel-Tec P32 and love it, the PF9 is pretty much a larger version in 9mm. I still may try to acquire the Sig P239 after I get the PF9 out, it's been there awhile and the lack of a hicap mag turns off a lot of buyers.