Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: How should I practice?

How should I practice?

I mostly shoot revolvers. My normal practice is to use paper targets to test loads then shoot at cans etc. at various ranges. I have every day medium power loads that I mostly shoot and then practice with heavier loads closer to hunting season. I also dry fire a lot.

So my question is should I keep doing things this way or change my ways of practice? I am more concerned with hitting what I shoot at than groups. I have never competed and really am not interested in competing. Any advice is appreciated.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

If you cane make a good group you will also hit the can but not sure that will work in oposit way.
    Start shooting groups ,it cant hurt....and that e+the way you can keep the track of your shooting skills progress

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...................

I'm a hunter, rather than a plinker or target shooter, and am also just interested in striking my target with my first shot (hopefully), than in any "groups".

The only other thing I can offer would advise against firing more than 50-100 rounds in any one day/session (even though practice makes perfect), since doing so usually results in a slight tiring leading to poor shooting methods, which often get re-inforced by the repetition.
    I gotten my best overall shooting results, over the last 45-odd years, by shooting after/while rested ILO shooting while tired/tiring. (Sometimes a shooter doesn't even realize their condition).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

If you ahve the ability to put out a life-size target or one of those archery-type replica deer, I would do that. It's funny how a lot of guys who are very good with iron sights all of a sudden have difficulty hitting the vitals on an animal when faced with a situation different from paper targets or tin cans.

I think some guys are all of a sudden faced with a larger target and trying to "hit a smaller target on a bigger backer" becomes dicey....

Of course, for others it ain't a problem at all. Otherwise, sounds to me, just like pietro, if it ain't broke......
    Good shootin'!
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Banned

Paper is only used to work loads and test groups by me. Then cans, bottles of water, even walnuts or old shotgun shells are shot at. Use your hunting positions a lot or off hand.
    You gain almost nothing by dry firing because your brain knows there is no recoil. Load a round and flinch big time! Hate to bust the bubble but it is true.
    Same when you shoot a .22 then go to a .500---GET REAL, your brain knows you are going to get busted big time.
    You need to take control of your brain when you shoot.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Your method sounds a lot like what I did many years ago . The best thing I did to sharpen up my skills as a tin can assasin was to start shooting competitively ...... for fun . I did not go into Bullseye shooting to spend more money or get glory . I did it to shoot a hunting revolver better . I will say that when you are setting up on the firing line and the wadcutter shooters on both sides of you see a model twenty-nine Smith laying on the bench , they get nervous . It's the compitition though that took all of my jitters away whenever I met a challenge shot .

I was never the best shot at the range , but I did OK for a guy that brought a heavy hunting revolver to a real pistol match ......................and beat guys who had more into their pistol than I had into everything including the truck that got me there .

Jack

Boolit Master

I try to vary my targets and distances as much as possible including shooting from various positions. Shoot sitting, standing, leaning, off sticks, freehand, etc... Trying to be prepared for whatever shot presents itself in the woods. Varying the target size, shape and distance helps me to know where to hold in relation to the where the shot will hit without having the paper target as a reference. I really like gong targets, but any active target will do.

I do vary the size of the targets. I mostly shoot on the 50and 100 yard berms. This year I shot a lot more heavy loads prior to season as I was advised by .44 man and it helped. I found out that three clicks up on my rear sight with hunting load with a 50 yard zero was pretty well on at100. At least minute of can. I also shot offhand mostly figuring that any steadier position would be more accurate.

Where do mid power loads figure in? Heavy loads exclusively? Not much fun. Mr. Stanley did you shoot heavy loads at bullseye matches?

I really appreciate the feed back I am getting.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

I would advise using paper targets. If you are shooting at a can and miss where did the shot go? Was it high.low ,left or right? A paper target will show you where the shot went. Repeated errors will give you a trend of what you are doing wrong. A target shooter can look at the back of his target a spot his mistakes. I would shoot paper targets to improve my skills and for recreation shoot at other targets.
    If you are at a public range please pick up your debris and dispose of it. I have seen much clutter on ranges. Cans, Water Bottles, Milk Jugs, Spray Paint Cans, Fire Extinguishers, Pumpkins, Potatoes and the list goes on and on.

Boolit Master

I need a high capacity 9 MM pistol.

I don't have a high capacity 9mm pistol. Want would you recommend? I would like at least a 15 round mag, At least a 4" barrel, Adjustable sights. My thoughts are Sig 226, CZ 75 , Browning High Power or Springfield-XD.
    The pistol will not be for concealed carry but I would want a holster. Of course it must like cast boolits. I am not really a Glock fan.

I would do both. I like to practice my 22 lever action/ hunter's silhouette's with paper targets.

When you practice on paper, there is no denying what has happened. It shows if you are holding good groups, or if your good groups just need a sight adjustment.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Grand Master

Cans are fun, paper provideds "grades" and actual measurement of effectiveness
    and progress. It is EXTREMELY easy to 'forget' about the misses on the can, but if
    the average group is 4" at 25 yds and then 6 months later it is 3", you ARE advancing.
    If you are "almost always" hitting the can, and then 6 months later you are still
    "almost always" hitting the can - what does that measure, or tell you?

You will never be able to quantify it by shooting at cans. I tend to find that plinkers
    substantially overestimate their capabilities, don't much like shooting on paper -
    can't ignore the bad hits.

I love shooting cans, but I practice on paper.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    If you don't already have one, find a friend to shoot with at least part of the time. He or she will challenge you and help develope your skills quickest and with the most laughs!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Thumbcocker , Normally at bullseye matches I was rather mild mannered and used a H&G 107b wadcutter with enough Bullseye powder to get about seven hundred fifty feet per second . There was a match that I attended near Ionia . The man next to me had his wadcutter gun tuned to eject cases right into the face of the man to his right ..... in this case me . He got off three shots slow fire while I tried to adjust my face to a place that would not make contact with his flying empties . Not finding any such place available , I opened the revolver and dumped the wadcutters onto the bench . Reaching into my duffle bag I pulled out a box of two hundred grain hollow points that were loaded with about twelve or thirteen grains of Unique .

I think he had just inserted his second magazine of five rounds and I was already on target and squeezing . As soon as his pistol was leveled the blast erupted from my revolver and he jerked his shot into the dirt ( I think because his case didn't hit me in the face ) . His next four shots weren't any better either but I didn't seen to have much trouble getting a ninety-something with the blasters .

He went and complained to the officials , team captains were called , he whined about my magnum not being department issue . My shift commander asked "I suppose your model 52 is ??" all with a smile I might add . His complaint was thrown in the trash and he went back to shoot next to me for the rest of the match . Timed fire wasn't much better for him , each time his pistol stabilized for the squeeze my S&W talked . By the time rapid fire came about his score was in pretty bad shape so I slipped my wadcutters into my cylinder and watched him shake . I dunno what it was but I never got hit with a case during rapid fire

Only other time I used "heavier" loads was during a qualifier match . As I was going out the door I realized I didn't have any wadcutter ammo available . So I grabbed the next best thing , two hundred forty-five grain semi-wadcutters at just under a thousand feet per second . The rapid fire stage with that was not fun but "front sight and squeeze" got me through it with a passing score .

I did normally use wadcutters and pay attention to sight alignment . My thought was Sight alignment in the field was what would make sure I didn't need a second shot . Being able to pull the hammer back and align sight rapidly should it be needed would be a real plus . Having the adrenelin pumping in a match and learning how to be in control of myself would help make sure I wouldn't need a second shot in the field . So for me bullseye shooting with a hunting revolver was a big help . Some of the guys here have forgot more about shooting a revolver than I'll ever know pick their brains all ya can .

Jack

Boolit Master

Is there a Like Button for Jack Stanley's last post Nothing I like better than giving a little back to inconsiderate jerks.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Mold
    I start out every trip to the range with paper targets at different distances shooting for accurrate small groups. After that I shoot what ever for fun.

canthit

Love Life
    The only thing I can really add has already been touched on briefly. That is a consistent grip. I learned that from 44 man when trying to figure out why I always got flyers. It took a bunch of practice to ensure I got a consistent grip from the positions I usually shoot at.

Boolit Master

To paraphrase somebody in the shooting world

Practice does not make perfect . . .

Perfect practice makes perfect.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on consistent grip. Absolutely critical with handguns.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I was surprised to win my club's comp last weekend with my S.A. and a mix of 38s and 357 ammo box droppings. Put it all down to the Accuracy Sticky and firing an airpistol down the hall (into a blanket). Trigger Control really is worth focusing on.