WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IMR 4227...What Is Its Best Use?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Shooter View Post
    About 3 years ago, I picked up 4 lbs of IMR 4227 with intentions of using in some .44 Magnums with 240 grain cast SWC. I never did so. Well, now I am trying to find the best use for this powder instead of letting it just sit.

I reload for .38 Special (2" and 4" barrels), .357 Magnum (2 3/4", 4", 6" barrels), .44 Magnum (4" and 6 1/2" barrels), .45 Colt and .454 Casull (2 1/2" barrel). Would any of these calibers and barrel lengths be a good choice for IMR 4227? If so, which ones, what powder charge, what weight of cast bullet, etc.?

Thanks
    My go to powder in 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 32 Mag, 22 Hornet 357 SuperMag (all with cast) and good for 40 shot matches in IHMSA. I have not experienced, or at least noticed any drop off in accuaracy as the pistols heat up. I have however now noted this as an excuse for misses which I hadn't as yet used!
    I am just in the early stages of also trialling ADI2205 (H4227) in my 15" .223 pistol with 55gr boolits. So far looking promising. Peter

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ihmsakiwi View Post
    My go to powder in 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 32 Mag, 22 Hornet 357 SuperMag (all with cast) and good for 40 shot matches in IHMSA. I have not experienced, or at least noticed any drop off in accuaracy as the pistols heat up. I have however now noted this as an excuse for misses which I hadn't as yet used!
    I am just in the early stages of also trialling ADI2205 (H4227) in my 15" .223 pistol with 55gr boolits. So far looking promising. Peter
    Not an excuse with the .44. What you will see is shots will hit lower and lower so you need to add clicks. When I got to the last ram I was 16 clicks over normal and still hit 50 meters short.
    I went to 296 and won Ohio state with 79 out of 80 with my SBH, missed the last ram from being burned out! After running 20 turkeys and 19 rams, my mind did head games on me.
    I shot many 40's with 296 while those that used either 4227 cussed.
    Other calibers did not do that and I shot a 39 with a Ruger .357 max using 4227 WITHOUT SIGHT SETTINGS on my new gun.
    Something about the .44 even though I shot very small groups at 200 meters sighting the gun in but it did not get hot.
    Even reducing the load in the .44 gave me flat primers. Most guys used 25 gr with a 240 gr and I went down to 21.5 with flat primers.
    I actually looked at my gun several times to see what broke!
    I was shooting at a cardboard chicken at 200 meters with a pistol, took the last 2 shots with my .44 using 296 and this is what I got.

I've been using it for .30 Carbine for 40 years and it works great.. Don't think it would do well in a 2" pistol, though..

Boolit Bub
    I haven't put together a bad load using IMR 4227. use it in the m1 carbine, 32-20, & .357 rifle loads. hopefully will soon use it in 30-30 cast loads. was on the line once with hodgdon rep, & if i'm remembering correctly, h4227 are close enough to be interchangeable BUT PLEASE VERIFY THIS THRU HODGDON or maybe somebody else will chime in.

Boolit Grand Master

I think it is good powder for heavy bullet/boolit 357 mag loads, 170 to 195 gr for me.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    For me: .218 Bee, .44 mag., .454 casull, also reduced (breach seated) loads in the 32/40 and 25/20 single shot.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I use a lot of 4227 in .308, .303 British and .44 mag... but all in rifles.

I find it is quite versatile and gives me good accuracy.

I normally load up to 24 grs. under a 240 - 250 gr. .44 boolit and 18 to 22 grs. under a 170 gr. boolit in .308 or 170 to 225 gr. boolit in .303.

It works for me.

Longbow
    God bless you! For me it is excellent in heavy cast loads in 357 mag
    Charter Member #148

I t seems to me that there is a possibility of Funny things happening with 4227 in large cases, be it with higher pressure loads or 'reduced' loads. I found it necessary to use a semi-bulk filler to stabilize pressure (call that getting consistent primer flattening, muzzle blast, and velocity). I've heard a few reports of excess pressure symptoms from light loads and I know that insufficient pressure leaves lots of partially burned granules. I'm going to suggest for safety sake not to use it in rifle cases without a bulk filler and maybe not even then. Dacron (polyester fibre) is not a bulk filler. It is a powder positioner only - a good one at that. It is better to err on the side of caution.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I t seems to me that there is a possibility of Funny things happening with 4227 in large cases, be it with higher pressure loads or 'reduced' loads. I found it necessary to use a semi-bulk filler to stabilize pressure (call that getting consistent primer flattening, muzzle blast, and velocity). I've heard a few reports of excess pressure symptoms from light loads and I know that insufficient pressure leaves lots of partially burned granules. I'm going to suggest for safety sake not to use it in rifle cases without a bulk filler and maybe not even then. Dacron (polyester fibre) is not a bulk filler. It is a powder positioner only - a good one at that. It is better to err on the side of caution.
    303; I don't know if I agree with that, hell most of em have all their fingers and both eyes, who needs all that? life goes on
    Charter Member #148

True! But I'd like 'em all to stay that way - with both eyes and all their fingers and most imortantly, with all their guns!

I stopped using 4227 after you good folks warned me, for which I thank you. That's when I started really looking into it. Mind you, if I recall, I was getting a little worried about my observations with 4227 and actually posed a question on the safety of 4227 under cirtain conditions. Like I said -it is better to err on the side of caution! I'm only suggesting that things could go funny, not that they will. Just be carefull with the stuff.

Just because I've used it safely and others have used it safely does not mean the next persons conditions will also be safe. Conditions are never quite the same and it's worst case scenario we need to be thinking of.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master

True! But I'd like 'em all to stay that way - with both eyes and all their fingers and most imortantly, with all their guns!

I stopped using 4227 after you good folks warned me, for which I thank you. That's when I started really looking into it. Mind you, if I recall, I was getting a little worried about my observations with 4227 and actually posed a question on the safety of 4227 under cirtain conditions. Like I said -it is better to err on the side of caution! I'm only suggesting that things could go funny, not that they will. Just be carefull with the stuff.

Just because I've used it safely and others have used it safely does not mean the next persons conditions will also be safe. Conditions are never quite the same and it's worst case scenario we need to be thinking of.
    303:I agree with what you said completely. I do believe this this powder is the odd man out, so far as I've found, but then what do I know, I don't spend that much time on the internet. so I'm not an xpurt
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Where the heck is Smokin joe when you need a real xpurt?:
    Charter Member #148

This is a concern - I actually purchased a canister of AR2205 (H4227) today with the idea of using it for 30-30 cast loads. What led me to consider this is actually semi-published data from ADI.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ADI30_30_AR2205info.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	55780

This data was emailed to me by ADI from their reloading inquiry service (great service by the way). In terms of reduced loads - what do you consider a reduced load? 15grains? (their starting load). I have put 15grains in a case and it probably only fills 2/5 of the case, less than I was expecting.

Do you think their loads are safe? Pressures seem reasonable, equivalent to Trail boss at listed maximum loads (other ADI information sheets give 29000cup at 9.0grains TB with 160grain cast)
    Last edited by sthwestvictoria; 12-12-2012 at 07:34 AM.
    ars longa, vita brevis

This last year I bought a mold from Tom at Accurate the 31-170E, I use 17grs of IMR4227 under it for my wifes 788 in 30-30. For now I can't see shooting anything else out of it and she agrees.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    100% load density in .32-20 with a 115gr GC boolit and a crimp.
    I'll second that.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.

Boolit Grand Master

sthwstvictoria

Those listed velocities and psi are averages. Also in testing the ballisticians load each round in the test barrel in a consistent and specific manner which positions the powder pretty much the same for each test shot. Most all shooters do not do either at the bench or, particularly, in the field. Thus the psi and velocities can vary greatly with such loads depending on "powder positioning". I have measured very large extreme spreads of velocity and psi in cartridges when using reduced/starting loads of 4227 (I have both makes of 4227 and it is the same with both....2400, 5744, H110/296 and 4957 also) with lighter weight cast bullets (like a 150 gr in the 30-30) with out a dacron filler. Those powders do not begin to burn efficiently until a certain psi is reached. Many times by then the velocity is too high when that efficient psi range is reached and accuracy suffers. BTW; I have measured as much as 200 fps ES or variation between the powder being against the primer or against the bullet. Obviously the psi varies a much larger amount also. "Pressure spikes" are common with such loads. Whether or not those "pressure spikes" are dangerous depends on the load and the conditions of the barrel and throat. Have the wrong conditions with the wrong load and an SEE is very possible.

As noted also in earlier posts it is very easy with such reduced loads to double charge a case. Consistent loading procedures are needed to prevent such. I have developed a simple yet effective rule for such loads. The rule is; the only cases in a loading block/tray are charged cases. I do not use a loading block to hold the cases during any other stage of the loading; small plastic bins are used or small boxes. Thus onece a case is in the loading block I know it has powder in it. After charging each case I also visually check the powder level before putting the case in the loading block. I developed the above after double charging cases too many times that were already in the loading block. Fortunately I caught all such double charged cases before seating a bullet. However, I learned a lesson.....

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 12-12-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Banned

Good observation Larry.
    As I said it worked fine until my gun got hot and it worked fine in other calibers. I got it to shoot so good in the .44 when working loads I thought I would win every time but it was not to be. Guns get HOT shooting IHMSA. Many guys had battery fans blowing through barrels during target setting, some sprayed water with alcohol through barrels.
    Two minutes for 5 shots was enough to see the POI going down with each shot. That means the velocity is climbing. I had good load density to start but started to reduce the load from 24 gr to 21.5, no change, did the same thing.
    The powder seems to be more caliber and case specific then any other.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I used to shoot a lot of the Hodgdon version under a 158 grain J-word in my Marlin 1894 .357 carbine. Good accuracy and velocity around 1700 fps. These days I put 19 grains under a gas checked 115 grain boolit in my Marlin 336 .30 WCF for an accurate and fun load with same POI as my 150 grain hunting loads. I wouldn't hesitate to try the IMR version in either one but I wonder if H110 might be better in these applications.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I have measured very large extreme spreads of velocity and psi in cartridges when using reduced/starting loads of 4227 (I have both makes of 4227 and it is the same with both....2400, 5744, H110/296 and 4957 also) with lighter weight cast bullets (like a 150 gr in the 30-30) with out a dacron filler. Larry Gibson
    Drat. Well I may just have to hold onto the canister of AR2205 and not use it in the 30-30. I suppose this in a sign from the gods that I need a .357 lever. I have some AP70N (Hodgdons Universal) ordered and will use that instead. Same information about care with double loading is useful however.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Buddy
    Since I have 2 revolvers in .357 Magnum with 6"+ barrels and a Marlin 1894c, and from the input here, I think that I will designate that 4 lbs of Australian made IMR 4227 primarily as my .357 Magnum powder.

When I use it for .44 Magnums, it will be for when just firing off a shoot here and there or when I am in very cold climate.

For the these two calibers and the IMR 4227, would these two bullets work well?

Name:	Lee 358 TL 158.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	55805
    TL358-158-SWC

Name:	TL430-240 SWC.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	55807
    TL430-240-SWC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TL430-240 SWC.GIF  
    Last edited by Southern Shooter; 12-12-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast