Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 00 Buckshot Wad/Shot Cup combo?

Boolit Mold

00 Buckshot Wad/Shot Cup combo?

Ok, I cast up a bunch of 00 buckshot with a Lee mold (un-graphited at this point for testing). I tested it out using Fiocchi hulls and primers, Red Dot powder, and Win AA12 wads. I trimmed the petals off the AA12 wads so I can stack the buckshot (9 pellet) inside the hull, and used no buffer. Results are ok, similar to Wolf 00 buckshot pattern.

I also disassembled a Remington 9 pellet 00 round to see what they were using as a wad. Inside I found a taller wad/shot cup combo with thinner petals so the 00 can still be stacked in 3's. I've been scouring the internet for such a wad and can't seem to find anything. Anyone have any suggestions on getting 9 pellets of 00 buckshot into a trap wad?

The reason I ask is I'm wanting to add some buffer to 9 pellet loads for tighter groups and I'm pretty sure you don't want to overfill a shot cup with buffer because it can slide down between the wad gas seal and get into the powder.

Any suggestions?

Boolit Buddy
    Use the buffer as you wish, your not going to see problems with the buffer in the powder as the wad base will seal inside the hull. If your really worried though go to a tapered hull such as a AA as they will seal really tight.

For better patterns don't forget to try different chokes. I usually find with the bigger stuff the more open the choke the tighter the pattern. Not to mention that since you are making your own 00 try using a different alloy make up. This may just eliminate the need for buffer all together.

Boolit Mold
    some people use a .030 overshot card over the cup to help contain the buffer before crimping...and ive noticed when buffer is added to shot of all sorts the pressure is gonna jump significantly

Boolit Master
    If you are useing claybusters version of WAA12 wads the petals are thicker than winchester ones.

Boolit Master
    try using a steel shot wad and 8 pellets. 000 is better than 00. every barrel and choke is different. if you have choke tubes, try the different ones. I didn't load for pattern, I loaded for speed and power and one 00 if you drive it fast enough will put a deer down. I don't remember my load any more. It was herco and maybe 34 grains and 8 00. the tube I'm using now is supposed to delay the wad so it doesn't get blew into the shot as it leaves the muzzle. I think I had an adjustable choke back when I was loading buck and using it for deer. had it set on imp mod.

Boolit Master
    Measure the factory buckshot pellets used inside a shot cup. You will find they measure less than .33" The VOLUNTARY SAAMI standard calls for .33" + .015" Most will run from .317" to .323"
    Last edited by RMc; 12-11-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    ballisticproducts.com has all you ever need.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by legend View Post
    ballisticproducts.com has all you ever need.
    I've checked BPI, and couldn't find really tall wad/shotcup like used in the factory Remington 9 pellet loads. I ordered some Remington RP 12 wads. They have a much taller shotcup than the Win AA wads, but still the sides are still too thick to get em stacked in 3s (9 pellets stacked 3 high). I can get 8 pellets though stacked 4 high.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by hithard View Post
    Use the buffer as you wish, your not going to see problems with the buffer in the powder as the wad base will seal inside the hull. If your really worried though go to a tapered hull such as a AA as they will seal really tight.

For better patterns don't forget to try different chokes. I usually find with the bigger stuff the more open the choke the tighter the pattern. Not to mention that since you are making your own 00 try using a different alloy make up. This may just eliminate the need for buffer all together.
    Right now the alloy mix I'm playing with is a bunch of chilled shot I melted down and cleaned. It's a SAECO hardness of 4. Much harder than the stuff Remington loads. There 00 buck is really soft, I haven't tested it yet, but I can scratch it deeply with a fingernail so, I'm guessing they are using pure lead.