A few months ago I bought a sporterized Peruvian Mauser Modelo 1932 (VZ 32 BRNO made action ) and it had been re-done many years ago. The original stock removed and a walnut Fajen commercial stock was added, it's ancient hard rubber but pad had gotten solvent on it at some point and is partially melted. The original military barrel was countoured/turned-down to a light profile and a set of Williams sporting irons sights were added to the barrel. The bolt handle was extended and bent down and welded with nickle rod,its tall stripper clip guide was ground off and the receiver was drilled and tapped for an unknown and now missing set of rings. Add to that a light layer of rust and 7.65Argentine chambering and you have a $100 dollar donor rifle.
I also found a 1896 Swedish Mauser barrel that had a broken receiver still attached dated 1899 and made at Carl Gustave. Though the Receiver was totaled but the barrel was in EXCELLENT condition!!!! So for a $100 dollar bill I got both the rifle and the barrel!!! And since I new the 1932 Peruvian is a 98 but a small I ring I knew was good to go with the older Swedish Mauser barrel...
Despite deciding to re-barrel the rifle I have been holding out for a box of 7.65x53mm ammo to turn up just so I could shoot the rifle before re barreling it. And eventually this week I came across a partial box of 150 grain Norma factory 7.65ARG.
Just perfect....Or so I thought....
So I headed to the range with my 6 rounds and a shoot and see target and my spotting scope. I found a spot at the 50 yard line set up my target. Got into sitting position and fired a single shot.
The rifle made a strange sound almost like a clang and had very little recoil. I ejected the spent casing and it looked very strange...the case had a shoulder but no neck... there was a deep ring (almost a a crack) half way around the web of the cartridge case (thank goodness for Norma Brass) also the primer was flattened and had spread deeply into the pocket. The 7.65 Argentine had fire formed into another cartridge.
I did not fire another round...I headed home to do some comparative inspection. I compared it to the .308 and it was far too long....so I compared it to a .30-06...Bingo...the chamber had be re bored. Next I attempted to chamber a .30-06 case and it was super tight, I had a hard time opening the bolt when I did a un-bulleted cartridge came out! I took a metal cleaning rod and punched out the stuck bullet. So not only was it re chambered to .30-06 this had been done rather poorly and was too short.
Looks like my idea to re-barrel it to 6.5x55SE was a correct choice....as soon as I get an action wrench that .31-06 wildcat barrel is coming off and getting cut up.
So a word to the wise always pour a chamber cast.