Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloader7 and the 45-70

Boolit Buddy

Reloader7 and the 45-70

Is anyone using Reloader7 powder and cast boolits in their 1886 45-70, and would you list some loading information? I've used Reloader7 with the 300 gr JHP and had great accuracy. Going to buy some cast 300gr and would like to finish off a couple pounds of Reloader7.

Boolit Master
    Short answer is yes. It is listed for every cast bullet weight in the 45-70 in the Lyman Reloading Handbook within the "Trapdoor" category. But, it is not as versatile as some of the other powders like 5744. It has a narrower range of recommended charges so it is not as forgiving-- which means use caution and pay attention to the recommended loads as listed in the Lyman manual.

Lyman 48th edition:
    Starting load for 330 gr. cast- 40 gr. Rel7---- Max load 42 gr. Rel7
    Starting load for 292 gr. cast- 50 gr. Rel7---- Max load 55 gr. Rel7

Given the above data I would lean toward the 40 gr. starting load as listed for the 330 gr. Lyman bullet if loading for the 300 gr. RCBS FN GC.

I use Rel7 in some cartridges with cast bullets but it seems better suited for cases of smaller capacity than the 45-70
    Last edited by fouronesix; 12-29-2012 at 01:43 AM.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Banned

No, but I use Reloder 7 quite a bit!

I also use it in 45/90, and found that I generally get better accuracy/consistency in lighter loads with heavy boolits (500+ grains) than I do with Accurate 5744 or IMR 3031. I also use it for .45 Colt rifle loads under 340-grain boolits, a compressed load gets trapdoor-level performance in that boolit weight. I've seen no disadvantage to using it in the large-capacity cases in either light or heavy loads, although using Dacron to fill the empty space (or cornmeal, grits, COW, etc.) and adjusting the load appropriately has always helped make it shoot better in my guns.

Gear

Boolit Master
    double8,
    Confused yet?
    Do you have a 48th or 49th edition Lyman Reloading Handbook?

If not, instead of fishing around cyberspace trying to find an answer you want to hear, you should get one and study it. The reloading manuals, are products of controlled lab testing of components using pressure test equipment and industry standardized analysis simply not available to the average cyber loader out here.

As to experience with Rel7 powder- yes I've shot it quite a bit in the 45-70 using both cast and Jbullets. It is one of the go-to powders for some high performance Jbullet loads. My mileage may vary, but I found it a little squirrely for lower pressure cast bullet loads in the 45-70. If you study the pressure data and min-max loads in the Lyman handbook you'll see those oddities in some of the trapdoor type, lighter bullet cast loads. Obviously the lab detected some odd pressure excursions with Rel7 in those applications.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I thought this forum might have been the place to start for some info. I really wasn't "wanting to hear" anything in particular. I'm just getting back into some reloading after 30 years or so, and never shot cast boolits. I have an old Hornady Handbook from 1972, but it does not show any info on cast bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    I like and use RL-7 in the 45-70 & 38-55 and alot of others

I use rx7 for a NOE 405 gr 45-70 bullet. The bullets actual weight is 390gr. ,starline brass, WLR primers, 48gr of rx7. This is a stout load but accurate. As always work up to heavy loads. Reference all loads in a manual.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by double8 View Post
    Well, I thought this forum might have been the place to start for some info. I really wasn't "wanting to hear" anything in particular. I'm just getting back into some reloading after 30 years or so, and never shot cast boolits. I have an old Hornady Handbook from 1972, but it does not show any info on cast bullets.
    Buy a Lyman 49th and study the three levels they list for the .45/70 before you attempt any of this. This forum is a good place for general recommendations, such as how Reloder 7 does in the .45/70 in other people's guns with "X" weight boolits or at "X" load level, but internet forums are NOT the place for getting specific load data if you do not own at least one published source of valid data for comparison. Two or three load books with cast data and one or two powder manufacturer's load data websites is much better.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

Personally I like to peruse Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook for a bit more detailed (and relevant) info. IMHO RL-7 is a bit slow for the lighter 45-70 boolits but really shines when it's pushing a 350 gr RD boolit @ about 1900 fps, that's my hunting load in a Guide Gun. Does well with the 405 grn projectiles as well, even the ones with full-length gas checks.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Man
    Alliant, Hodgdon and Accurate all list their complete data online...probably others as well, but those three alone cover a lot of the more common powders. I am also a fan of the Lyman handbook. It is the best source IMO for cast bullet info.

Take any load info found on any internet forum with a grain of salt...and do not use without checking with a reliable manual. Be aware that you are going to find conflicting information even from printed sources. Especially if any of those sources are older, as current data is more conservative. I prefer to err on the safe side...it is easier on me and the gun, less expensive, and as far as I can tell neither my paper targets or the deer around here are armor plated. Frankly deer don't take much killin' if the shot is in the right place. Even a mild load with a light bullet in a 45/70 is plenty.

Best...........John

Moderator Emeritus

Before I bought cast boolits I would slug the bbl and specify that you want boolits larger than that bore size or they wiil be returned. Generally the bore will need at least .459" diamater, .460" prefered.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I use Reloader7 pretty much exclusively in .45-70. I've gone down safely to 34 gr. and a 350 gr. J-word bullet for true trap door level loads. 38 gr. gets close to .45-70 express load levels and low 40's is super nice. If I'm going to want to reach out a bit, I use 49 gr. and the 350 gr. bullet and get 6-8" 300 yard groups with iron sights and that load.

45 to 50 grains RL 7 for any gas checked bullet from 300 through 440 grains in modern strong gun.
    Stout but accurate, and brutal on heavy hogs.
    Last edited by pls1911; 01-06-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Banned

I've had good results with RL10.

I've used it, but not very recently or very often. When I first started reloading, back in the early 1970's, I acquired an RCBS kit with a Speer manual. The data for 45-70, with their J-word bullet at 400 grains included some RL-7 loads. When I bought my Marlin, around 1981, I did my 45-70 shooting with the Speer bullet and data. Since then, I matured, and j-word bullets have been replaced with boolits of my own making, in most all calibers that I shoot. With boolits, I mostly use 3031, or 5744 these days, in the 45-70. There's data available for RL-7, but there's also data available for IMR 4198, too. I like to keep some RL-7 on hand, but it's not my first choice for 45-70.

Boolit Mold
    Is anyone using Reloader7 powder with their cast boolits in their 44-40, and would you list some loading information? Working up a load for the new Ubertie 44-40 rifle. Found some interesting things about different types of brass for the rifle. It hates Winchester brass, had a seperation after the fourth shot. Hornaday and Starline brass work great and cycle excellent. Winchester brass is way to thin and junk, not worth the money you have to pay for casings. I know you folks out there have some grat input on this subject, would love to read the comments. Thanks, FLSTF_2000

Quote Originally Posted by flstf_2000 View Post
    Is anyone using Reloader7 powder with their cast boolits in their 44-40, and would you list some loading information? Working up a load for the new Ubertie 44-40 rifle. Found some interesting things about different types of brass for the rifle. It hates Winchester brass, had a seperation after the fourth shot. Hornaday and Starline brass work great and cycle excellent. Winchester brass is way to thin and junk, not worth the money you have to pay for casings. I know you folks out there have some grat input on this subject, would love to read the comments. Thanks, FLSTF_2000
    What is the model year on that Uberti? The reason I ask is being 44-40 I think with the Uberti I would stick with pistol powders and not use RL-7. Uberti are fine guns but can't handle the pressure levers of some other guns out there due to the fact they copy the original design as close as possible.
    Joe

Boolit Master
    RL-7 is my "go to" powder for the 45/70 from 330 gr Hp. to 550 grain WFNs, AA2015 is in that burn range and works well, I would not even experiment with these powders in the 44/40, they are too slow and will result in squib loads and much unburnt powder. For mild loads in the 44/40 I'd def. try Trail Boss powder.

Since everyone knows this powder, have any of you played with it in a .44 mag rifle? Does it do any better than h110?

Banned

reloader 7 is my favorite staight walled large capasity rifle powder. Its to slow for 4440s and 44 mags though. About the only pistol rounds it works well in are the 500 and 475 linebaugh maximums and the 460 and 500 smith. 110 is about as slow as you want to go in a normal mag handgun and 4440s arent magnums and do much better with powders like unique and herco.
    Quote Originally Posted by flstf_2000 View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast