RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Advise on 98K

Advise on 98K

The problem I'm having is the last shell in the magazine. It does not get caught by the extractor claw, instead goes in the chamber and the bolt won't close. I have another mauser that has been sporterized and you can drop a round in the chamber and the bolt will close and extract it. The bolts hook the same. Is there a way to make this rifle work this way. Would save alot of aggravation. Thanks for your help....Old Arkie

Boolit Master

I have read about reconturing the hook, personally I wouldn't and would leave it as is and never push feed a round.

For the issue with the last round, I'd replace the magazine spring.

thanks moonie for the advise. that never crossed my mind , i will try to find a new spring after deer season,it starts hear in sw mo saturday.

Boolit Grand Master

I concur try a new stiffer spring first, or for a temporary fix strech the spring. Once a spring is streched it will never hold it's shap again but will last for a little whille.

Polishing the front of the extractor (as long as you don't remove a lot of metal - just shape it to slide out under pressure) won't do any harm. Don't weaken the edge that grips the case rim. Extractor can be bent a little to reduce force of grip. Obviously this has a point of being too much, maybe allowing extractor to drop ctgs, so don't overdo it.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

thanks for the advice fellas,i got a new spring yesterday,it works great ,problem solved thanks agin. oldarkie