Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: blueing vat/container

blueing vat/container

Was wondering if any of you gun smiths would be willing to post up some pics of your heated containers/ vat, or wherever you'd like to call it,that's big enough to do a barrel in. I've some ideas on how to build one but would love to see how others have approached the item.
    Thanks for your input

Boolit Master
    Hot caustic bluing, or rust bluing? I solved that dilemma for rust bluing by simply using a piece of 2" pvc pipe. Glue a cap on one end, and have a loose cap handy for the other end. Drop the rusted barrel into the pipe (I suspend the muzzle an inch or so up off the bottom), fill with boiling hot distilled water, put the cap on it, and wait ten minutes. Comes out as black as if it had been boiled in a long pan. Card, re-rust, repeat as necessary. Use a big funnel to eliminate water splashing on you (I use a cut off gallon milk jug), and size the pipe long enough so as to hold all the water out of a medium big sauce pan (a gallon maybe?).

I've done a bunch of guns now using the PVC pipe, even though I have since gotten a long boiling tank.

Boolit Buddy
    shop i used to work for i had a good set up
    3- heated steel tanks 6-7 in tall about 4 ft long 8 in wide
    3- burners 1 under each tank bluing salt tank --cleaning tank -rinse tank
    1-non heated tank full of oil for final dip after bluing
    adjustable gas burners worked very well turned out some good blue jobs
    they have since got rid of setup new smith didnt want to blue
    prep for bluing most important step.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Boolit Bub
    heres my setup
    short black iron tank for handguns, long black iron tank for, well long guns.. back stainless for heated cleaning/ boil out tank,, upper stainless tank , final oil dip

burners

hope it helps.....

Boolit Mold
    wow, I am going to make a small setup for hot tempering/bluing shorter parts (foot or less) I got stainless steel mud pans and a long propane BBQ replacement burner. This is probably too small for what you want to do though.

Is that the same Boris who built a 'Shovel AK'?

krit29-2 thanks much for the pics,I've a similar set up in my head that I'm wanting to build

Boolit Master

If Rust blueing here is a link to a post in another forum I frequent. I rebuilt and refinished an old hardware store double barrel a few years ago. The blueing tank for rust blue boiling was made from 26ga steel sheet, bent in a brake and the ends tack welded and RTV'd to seal.

For rust blueing it worked just fine. I did the boil on my gas range in the kitchen (I'm single, can you tell?) and laid the box over two burners to get it roiling.

I hope this link works, I don't think this page is "members only". If it is blocked, I apologize, and I will send pictures directly in that case.
    http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/...;t=22644;st=20

Bulldogger

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
    If Rust blueing here is a link to a post in another forum I frequent. I rebuilt and refinished an old hardware store double barrel a few years ago. The blueing tank for rust blue boiling was made from 26ga steel sheet, bent in a brake and the ends tack welded and RTV'd to seal.

For rust blueing it worked just fine. I did the boil on my gas range in the kitchen (I'm single, can you tell?) and laid the box over two burners to get it roiling.

I hope this link works, I don't think this page is "members only". If it is blocked, I apologize, and I will send pictures directly in that case.
    http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/...;t=22644;st=20

Bulldogger
    Link works,thanks for postin it. Sweet gun

That shotgun wouldn't happen to be a bp burner would it?