MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powder for 9mm and 45acp rounds

Banned
    WSF for 9mm. It's just about perfect for that cartridge. Meters well, burns clean, about the right volume for that casing, yields good accuracy. I've loaded & shot thousands of 9mm rounds, most with WSF. I've tried just about every powder suitable for that cartridge and I always came back to WSF. In fact, it's all I use now for 9mm. And no, I don't work for Winchester or Olin Corporation.
    45ACP seems to work fine with more options. WSF works as does WST. I've also used 231. Back when WAP was available (Ramshot Silhouette) it worked well at high pressures but was expensive. If I was going to only keep 1 type of powder on hand for those two cartridges I'd go with WSF because of it performance in 9mm. But why limit yourself to just type of powder?

Boolit Master

Gotta do my pitch for IMR 7625 - loads about the same as Unique. Good stuff. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Unique

Boolit Bub
    Has anyone used Ramshot True Blue?
    Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide.
    John Adams
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
    John Adams

For my rants on things important and not:
    http://commonmanandamerica.wordpress.com/

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    PowerPistol (my favorite) or Bullseye. Of course, just loaded my first rounds with Vihtavuori but have not been to the range yet and may be changing my opinion afterwards

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Westwindmike View Post
    I use Accurate #5 for both.
    I love AA#5. In 9mm, using jacketed rounds and AA#5, I can load ammo that easily beats any factory ammo for accuracy. I use AA#5 exclusively in my .44 Special handloads and have worked up a .38 Special +P load for 158SWC rounds that is beyond awesome in my 686.

As of late, I've been working up some loads for my .45 with a 200SWC HG68 boolit. Results are good, but the 4.6 Bullseye load set the benchmark for me and that is what I'm chasing. I'm confident I'll get there with the AA powder.

I just ordered another five pounds of it to add to the existing stock I have, along with another couple of pounds of AA#2.

Boolit Bub
    Bullseye, matter of fact I use the same charge for both.

Boolit Master
    If you want the 'best', you have to specify the parameters your testing... If you just want to K.I.S.S. (my personal preference), then Bullseye works for everything... Really... Just look through this forum, and you'll find guys shooting Bullseye in just about every caliber... There's a Bullseye recipe for every handgun caliber, tho maybe not the highest velocity recipe or most accurate recipe, but you'll find one... And it's commonly used for "mouse-fart" loads in rifles too... Gotta love that flexibility...

Boolit Mold
    I use Solo 1000 for 9 and 45.

Accurate #2 works for both and I have used it for .38 as well.

Boolit Buddy

Been having great results with Unique.

Boolit Master

Bullseye would be my first choice. If you can't find that, look for Green Dot, Red Dot, or Promo. I haven't tried 231 yet but a lot of people like it.
    Unique or Universal for full-power loads. Power Pistol, WSF, HS-6, or AA#7 for barn-burners.

bullseye 10k plus of 9mm and 45acp if my memory recalls correctly i changed to Bullseye because i used almost half the amount per round than i did using power pistol at the time i was doing 9mm and 40S&W so i got more reloads per pound of powder was my thinking , helped bring down the price/round a cent or 2

so do i, 4.1 gn i think great easy shooting round that cycles thru every gun i have shot it thru

Boolit Master
    Funny thing is you can use 4 grs and get decent results with it for 9mm, 40s&W and 45 acp.

Since my Lee discs measure one size at 3.8gr and the next disc is 4.2 gr the 9mm gets 3.8gr and the other two get 4.2gr.

Quote Originally Posted by astroskg View Post
    so do i, 4.1 gn i think great easy shooting round that cycles thru every gun i have shot it thru

i've used most mentioned except for the Winchester powders. My favorite for general use is 700x in place of Bullseye, much cleaner burning. For full loads in .45 I use Unique despite its soot and smoke. 7625 in 9mm has been very good at full power.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I prefer PowerPistol for my 9mm. After hearing so much about Vihtavuori powder, I decided to try some for myself and it just arrived. Bought N320, N340 and 3N37 to try out in 9mm, 38 special and .40 S&W.

Boolit Master
    Universal. Works well for my shotgun loads too. . I used to use quite a bit of blue dot, but accuracy tests show the Universal gave tighter groups for my loads.

Boolit Mold
    I use Bullseye for 45ACP and Power Pistol for 9mm both to great results. Have to be very attentive with Bullseye in 45ACP because you won't get overflow with a double charge. 4.9 grains don't that up a lot of space. Very economical though due to the low grains needed. Can use it in 9mm as well

If you reload shotguns, I've used both green and blue dot which you may have already around and at $105 for 8 lbs is pretty inexpensive also

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    AP70 or as sold USA, Hodgdon Universal, 9mm, 3.7 to 4.1, 25-50 yd target loads, depending on gun used & boolit weight.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast