Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee 113f soup can in a 30 carbine

Boolit Master

Lee 113f soup can in a 30 carbine

I picked up a 30 carbine and made up some dummy rounds with the lee soup can boolit. I tried different OAL rounds and they jam against the barrel/chamber opening. It functions fine with ball and softnose bullets.

Any ideas?
    I tried several magazines, no difference.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    When the round gets bounced out of the mag, the nose flies upward, striking that spot. An ogive deflects off, a flat nose lands head on and jams. At least, that's what has happened in every slow motion video of semi-automatics I have seen. That, or the nose does manage to bounce off the top of the entrance to the chamber, and then jam the bottom of the entrance .
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Try this one... This was designed for the m1 little 30

Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold C309-120-R 30 Caliber (309 Diameter) 120 Grain 1 Ogive Radius Gas Check
    High Hook

Boolit Grand Master

Use a cast bullet with a more rounded nose profile such as the Lee mould High Hook suggests. There's realy not much room in the action of the M1 Carbine to "throat" it to reliably feed a bullet with that WFN. Many won't even feed the FN 32-20 bullets reliably.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Well, I studied a magazine and figured something out. I took some pliers and bent the forward feed lips together just a bit. This allowed the cartridge to angle more toward the center of the feed ramp just enough to bounce up into the chamber opening without hitting the edge. I fired 12 rounds without a jam. Soupcan with hornady GC, speed lube,(120 gr total) over 10.5 of alliant 2400.
    Attachment 55532

Boolit Grand Master

I have one carbine that won't feed the 113gr but 2 that had no problems, even with the same magazine. I had gone to the Lee 120gr RN and they fed in all of my carbines.
    I recently bought a SAECO 120gr RN in a 4 cavity block. This is an excellent carbine boolit and very accurate, but pricey. The boolit has a bit of a shoulder on it.
    Glad you figured out a way to make the 113 work.

Boolit Grand Master

NSP64

My bad, I had pictured in my mind the Lee Soupcan having a WFN similar to the WFN pictured below. Your soupcan nose is very similar to my GC Lyman 32-0 bullet. I get it to feed with a similar mod to the mag lips and polishing the feed ramp. Good going on the fix.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    I had the same feed problems with the soupcan in my m1 until I started polishing the front of the loaded round with steel wool. I hold a piece of fine steel wool and turn the loaded round into it with mild finger pressure. This rounds the sharp edges of the point and the top band. I seldom have a failure to feed after this modification. The mag and feed ram mod will also work but was not needed after polishing the nose.

Boolit Master
    Yep wanted to use them in my 300 Blk but it was a no go! Jammed no matter the OAL or type of mag used! But they shoot very good in my levers!
    Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 12-16-2012 at 11:34 PM.

I have had very good luck using NOE 311, 314008 115Gr. FN in my 30 carbine as well as my Marlin 1894CL 32-20.
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?

Boolit Master
    Instead of making a new thread, I was wondering what sort of loads folks were using with the Lee 309-120-R. I was gifted one for Christmas, and man, did it cast some beautiful boolits- threw back the first cast and it was perfect after that for over a hundred straight. Gotta love when it comes together right away!

I'd really like to use 2400 but I've never loaded for the .30 M1 before. I'll head out to the fun shop tomorrow if somebody has a better choice, though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Echd View Post
    Instead of making a new thread, I was wondering what sort of loads folks were using with the Lee 309-120-R. I was gifted one for Christmas, and man, did it cast some beautiful boolits- threw back the first cast and it was perfect after that for over a hundred straight. Gotta love when it comes together right away!

I'd really like to use 2400 but I've never loaded for the .30 M1 before. I'll head out to the fun shop tomorrow if somebody has a better choice, though.
    I would start at 10.0 gr and work up from there, with. Srp.

Boolit Master

With the Lee C309-120 I use 13 grains of 4227 with aluminum gas checks I stamp from Amerimax flashing. Works pretty darned good.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    10.5 gr 2400 and the 309-120r work for me.