Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just can't find a good pair of boots.

Boolit Grand Master

I just can't find a good pair of boots.

I know this is totally unrelated to shooting, but seriously, I would really appreciate some opinions on who makes the best work boots.
    I used to wear Redwing boots, but about ten years ago, I found out that the soles don't hold up and the heels wear out too soon. I only got 8 months out of that pair.
    Then I tried Justin boots. I got a good pair that lasted me almost two years, so I bought another set. The new set didn't last because again the heels wore out. I was told that Justin is not holding the standards of quality that they used to. I asked around and was told that Timberland Pro makes a darn good lace up boot, so I bought two pairs of those about 9 months ago. Now the tread is peeling off the home pair (non steel toe) and the sole is cracked in two on the work pair (steel toe).
    All I want is a good pair of pull on or lace-up steel toed boots that give good support and will last me two years. Seems like I used to buy a pair of boots and I would get more than 3 years out of them, but now, I am just dumping money on junk that doesn't hold up.
    I would appreciate any input from you fellers.
    I am a machinist, (employed and business owner) so I am standing on concrete for 12+ hours a day.
    Do any of you fellers wear the same boots you bought two years ago, and still like them?
    Thanks
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Hey, Tim... can't really help you out with the two years thing... I work construction, and am constantly on my feet, up and down stairs and ladders... I personally feel that if I have my heavy boots last 2 seasons( I wear lighter boots in the summertime) then I have got what I paid for... the key is, you have to pay for it!

I am wearing Georgia boots now, and like them a lot. I wore Cats for years, but they made the shafts smaller, and I can't get my big feet in them anymore! Justins seem to be very comfortable.

Comfort is the key. If you hurt, you won't be as efficient. Pay for the comfort and replace as needed.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

IF your heels are wearing out from dragging your feet or striking the heel first on the concrete is causing the heels to cup up, than purchase some heel plates and tap them onto each of the heels. Better to have to replace the heel plates than to replace the heels every 3-6 months.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy
    I wear Wolverine Durashocks.

I have two pair that I bought in 2005 that I rotate in and out about once a month. I recently put in some gel inserts, but they'er still going strong at 4 on 4 off on concrete 12-18 hours a day.
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Boolit Master

When I worked on concrete all day I wore Wolverine Durashocks. They don't have deep treads, but are very slip resistant. I'd have to say they were the most comfortable boots I wore to work.
    They sucked in the outdoors, not enough tread on leaves and stuff. I'll get you the model #.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats great, Thanks!
    I don't mind paying, and I don't mind if I honestly wear them out, but the failures that have been happening are just poor workmanship! I used to think that I might drag my heels but with this new pair of boots, the heels are wearing just fine. I think what I do is put my heel down first, and it rotates a little as I follow through the step. Some of these boots sole's are so soft they just wear out too soon. So, I buy a new pair of Redwings for $180 and go through the week and a half of foot pain until they are broke in, then I have to do it all over again 8 months later? No bueno! At least with lace up boots there is no "break in" but I fight athletes foot constantly because they don't breath like a pull on boot.

Boolit Master

W03120 This is the safety toe model. I know they have a non safety toe, or at least they did. I ordered one off the boot truck at work and they sent me the non safety toe and had to exchange them.

Boolit Grand Master

I just looked up the Durashocks, those are cheap! Seems like a had a bad experience with wolvarines once but that was many moons ago. Maybe I should give em another go.

Boolit Buddy
    If you like the uppers and foot support of something you have but are wearing out the bottoms, consider getting new soles. A good shoe repair shop may save you money over buying new and at the same time give you a combination of the best uppers and soles. If foot beds can be updated with inserts that can be a low cost but effective fix when needed.

Boolit Master
    I've had a pair of Wolverine Guardian Carbonmax just shy of 2 years now, have worn them everyday except Sunday morning. They need replacing now. The soles show wear but are not worn out, there's still a few miles on them. The stitching on the uppers has let loose in a few places. I'd buy another pair but maybe put some superglue on all the seams to see if it stretches the life a little. In all fairness though, I abuse my boots. Dungarees is a good online retailer.

I'll tell you though, I had a pair of Sketchers steel toe sneakers once that were real comfortable and durable. I know they lasted at least 2 years, IIRC more like 3. I've been thinking about getting another pair of those, but I'm a little torn at the moment because I like an 8" boot.

May not have helped but that has been my experience.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/ these are made just north of me Tim
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

I've had very good luck with the Rocky Line of IronClad Boots http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-De...Pull-On-Boots/ very comfortable and rugged. I prefer the slip on Wellingtons.

Moderator Emeritus

Another vote for Rocky's. Great boots, comfortable and well made. I've had mine one year so far now and still going strong.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Re: I just can't find a good pair of boots.

I have a real nice pair of Ariat steel toed work boots that have been going strong since 07'. They are a western not company, but they have great support, lace up and the soles are just starting to wear a bit.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Boolit Master
    Whites and Nicks are two of the preferred brands for Loggers and firefighters in my part of the world.

I wear West Coast and like them.

http://www.whitesboots.com/

http://www.nicksboots.com/

http://www.westcoastshoe.com
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks fellers. I value your advice. That certainly gives me something to go on.

Boolit Master
    Tim, the factory I work in has only a Stone Hard floor and we are required to wear safety shoes.
    The most comfortable that I have worn look like sneakers and are made by Durham, and I bought them with the orthotic insole. They are without doubt the most confortable safety shoes I have worn, and the soles hold up.
    They are a lot more confortable when it gets hot.

Boolit Master
    I have been wearing redwings for some time now and the newest pair I have better than other I have had the model # is 2491 and they have a unique ratcheting mechanism for the laces which are vinyl coated steel cables. Made in USA, with imported materials. So far I like them. They are also lighter that other boots I have had.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

Well, I could say my Corcoran Jump Boots are my most comfortable boot for all day standing...but I'd be lying. Since we've went to Suede Boots in the Army and I've been assigned away from the 82nd and 101st Divisions those boots of mine have been laying in the closet collecting dust...Might have to dust them off to retire out in them in a few months!
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    So, I buy a new pair of Redwings for $180 and go through the week and a half of foot pain until they are broke in,
    If you are like me, you probably know exactly what size boot you need.
    If you let the Red Wing shoe salesman decide what size you need, the boot might fit you better.

The size of the Red Wing boot I wear today is nothing like the size of the boots I wore all of my life.
    And, I (too) spent half of a lifetime just 'breaking them in'.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.