Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Need advice please

Need advice please

My problem:
    I use Carnauba Red in my Star on my 45 ACP boolits, it works fine, no problems, in winter. In summer time, the sized boolits gets all messy and messes up my reloading dies.

My question:
    Could I add some beeswax to the Carnauba Red to make it harder, and would it still be an effective lube for my 45's? I do have a heater with my Star, so making it flow should not be a problem.
    Also how much beeswax per weight should I add, any suggestions?

Boolit Master
    I found just about any lube to be ok for 45, that was when we were allowed to own them. Yes a little beeswax will help stiffen it up, how much to use will be trial and error depending on the temp in your area. Parafin can also be used but is not my first choice.

After lubing with carnauba red I put my boolits in a sandwich bag and put a small amout of mica in and roll them around to coat the boolits, a small amount goes long way. It makes a world of difference in the sticky factor. Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    I found just about any lube to be ok for 45, that was when we were allowed to own them.
    Don't you feel safe now?

Perhaps a better question would be . . . How much did the crime rate go up once they were illegal?

Sorry, hearing that is like finger nails on a blackboard to me.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

I found CR to be a little soft & tacky so i tried it 50/50 with magnma hard lube , ive used it on over 20,000 bullets so far with excellent results.
    I belive that white lable lubes are making a CR commercial which is harder, i havent tried it as i have several 2x6 soild sticks left of both lubes + what left from the last mixed batch.

Boolit Master

I found CR to be a little soft & tacky so i tried it 50/50 with magnma hard lube , ive used it on over 20,000 bullets so far with excellent results.
    Exactly my solution to the CR "stickies"!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Yes cbrick, are all criminals are so safe now that law abiding handed in their guns.

Banned

CR too soft and sticky. That's never been the case at my house, that stuff can be used to hold bricks together.

Gear

Banned

he's a little closer to the sun than you are gear...
    i use c.r. as a hardening agent to other lubes,,, so what do i know.

Yes Gear, as Runviferun mentioned, the ambient here in summer can get up in the mid 90's for days on end. So the CR does get messy and sticky. I bought a lot from White Label some time ago, and I am just going to add some beeswax to it to see if it can become a little harder. In winter time, it works fine, no problem.
    What is interesting also, is that the boolits that were lubed in winter, with a heated base on the Star, is fine, even in summer. But when I lube them in summer, they seem to stay sticky and messy on the boolts, even long after the CR have cooled down to the ambient temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    Yes cbrick, are all criminals are so safe now that law abiding handed in their guns.
    I'm ignorant to Australia's laws, What (if anything) are you allowed to own?

Banned

We often have 50-70 days in a row with daytime ambients over 100, usually no more than 107 though, unlike some of those in the SW USA desert regions where it gets into the "teens". I've had plenty of lube failures in the summertime, even when taking ammo to the range in a cooler. The chambers and barrels get so hot so fast it really gets runny very quickly.

I'd say that if the lube being sticky during handling is the issue, either store the lubed boolits in a refrigerator, or dust them with Motor Mica or really fine powdered graphite. Talcum powder works too. The disadvantage to chilling the boolits is that moisture condenses on them instantly when you take them out and let them sit in a warm room. Switching to a lube with a lot of metal soap grease in it can raise the melt point, but it still gets soft above about 100F due to the nature of the wax. Adding 180F microcrystalline wax to CR will de-tack it considerably and raise the melt point some, so that's an option too.

Gear

Banned

i de-tackify the c-red with a mist of rubbing alcohol.
    but yeah adding a little micro-wax or b-wax should raise the melt temp.

Banned

I forgot about your alcohol trick, that may be all he needs to do to kill the stickiness if he doesn't live next to the gates of hades.

Gear

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryokox3 View Post
    I'm ignorant to Australia's laws, What (if anything) are you allowed to own?
    With long guns, any semi-auto or pump actions of any calibre are banned.

In the handgun department. we can have auto's, but nothing above .38/9mm unless you are prepared to go to the added considerable expense of acquireing a special licence which enable's you to shoot silhouette & some of the black powder comp's.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wal' View Post
    With long guns, any semi-auto or pump actions of any calibre are banned.

In the handgun department. we can have auto's, but nothing above .38/9mm unless you are prepared to go to the added considerable expense of acquireing a special licence which enable's you to shoot silhouette & some of the black powder comp's.
    When those restrictions went into effect how much did the crime rate go up?

A simple philosophy to live by . . . Never trust any gubment that doesn't trust you being armed. Just what do they have in mind for you that they feel they couldn't do if your armed?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Freedom....how much can a person give before too much is too much and it's too late.

Cbrick hit the nail on the head.

Boolit Buddy
    Switch to White Label's Commercial Red 160 degree. I bulk pack, handgun bullets all year long with this.

My thread has been hijacked somewhat by the Aussie gun laws here, I live in South Africa, and over here, if you can motivate your need, you can have any firearm you desire, even a Colt AR 15 Semi Auto assault rifle....but I have had some very good advice on my messy summertime CR lube.
    Gear, thanks for the tip on adding the 160F Microcrystalline wax, I have absolutely no idea what it is, or where I can obtain it, but I will find out.
    870TC, thanks I will contact Leah and Glenn and ask about your suggestion, their products are always top notch at a very reasonable price.
    First prize for me would be to just use a lube that is hard enough to stay intact during the hot summer days, I do shoot very high volumes of 45ACP's in IPSC competitions and practise for matches, so I would like to handle them only once before loading them.