Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Gas Checks?

Boolit Master
    Some checks have such a tight fit that I can’t pop them on as I’m sizing (with my push-through sizer). This is usually because the GC shank is a little fat. In these cases, I apply the gas checks as a separate stage to sizing/crimping then on. I use a piece of leather tacked to a piece of hardwood as a base and a small brass or plastic hammer. This ensures I don’t deform my boolits tapping the checks on. I also lube all my GC boolits with 45-45-10, apply the GC then pan lube after the check is on. Saves a mess in my sizing die.

Boolit Master
    I use NOE's gas check seater for the tough ones. Uses top punches from Lyman or RCBS.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    First, Gas checks come in boxes not bags. Two ways I put on gas checks. First , if they fit slide them on and then size the boolit. Check should be crimpedon. Second method if checkdoesn't readily go on boolit is to place over holein sizer then place boolit on the check. Size everything. If check doesn't stay on superglue it on.Hornady's crimp better than Lymans. Have some Sierras but don't remember how they go on. Don't over think the gas check installation process. You want them to fit over the base of the boolit and stay on at least until things go bang.
    I have some in boxes, zip lock plastic bags and round metal tins with a slip on metal lid.... All depends on from whom and when you bought them.....not just boxes.

If you have checks that fall off a boolit base just place the check in the sizing die opening, set the boolit base in the check , size and lube. The check gets crimped on during sizing.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Funny all of mine came in bags, must not be buying in large enough bulk.

I had a problem seating checks on squarely and after pondering the cost of the Lyman Gas Check seating tool, this is what I came up with.

I take a 7.63x 39 steel case. they are lying all about at our range. Cut the base off with a dremel tool and section it vertically enough to snap around the adjustment screw then using a file, trim so you have maybe an 1/8th inch of up down play. Be sure you use the correct nose punch to fit your projectile. Works just like the commercial one in most respects, every bit as good as the commercially sold ones and if you ever lose one or use too much force and bend one .... With all the steel AK casings lying about, just make another.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12