Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Sizing question with my 44 Mag.

Boolit Bub

Sizing question with my 44 Mag.

Re-sized my Laser Cast bullets from what they say is .431 to .430 in my Lyman Lubr-sizer die. I was peeling lead quite bad before in the cylinder and forcing cone. Just tried two that I re sized and they now drop right through my cylinder. They don't in the forcing cone or barrel. Being new at this, I was concerned about the cylinder and how they just make it through unlike before they stopped and would not go through. Measured two that I did and I get .431 after sizing. I guess my question is: even though they just make it through, is it alright if the bullets drop through the cylinder?

Boolit Master
    Idealy, the proper sized bullet should just slip through the cylinder throats with light finger pressure. Any bullets bigger than that, upon firing, will get sized in the cylinder throats anyway. If the bullets are much smaller than cylinder throat size, and if they don't they slug up to cylinder throat size in firing, you run the risk of gas blow by, and will get leading.

Boolit Buddy
    They are OK to shoot at 430 but it sounds like you should be using them at 431. It is no problem to use boolits that are 1 or 2 thousands over throat size.

Boolit Bub
    Are there any problems associated with shooting a bullet that just drops through the cylinder? The bullet and cylinder measure the same.

Boolit Grand Master

Throat diam, which will NOT drop through, or even .001 or sometimes .002 larger seem
    to work the best, assuming groove diam is same or larger than throat diam.

Mr. Target knows the answers and is always right.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I don't think you had a leading problem cause the bullets were a little big.
    Depending on powder charge ( pressure ) and hardness of bullets, they don't always bump up.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Banned

i'll go with they were 430 when they come out of the cylinders before you sized them down.

you'll be fine with the 430's in the 430 throats.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies. I've loaded up some as cast, and some, sized to .430. See what happens.

Boolit Master

I was peeling lead quite bad before in the cylinder and forcing cone. Just tried two that I re sized and they now drop right through my cylinder.
    Just sayin, it sounds like the throats are not .430
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Kaiser View Post
    Are there any problems associated with shooting a bullet that just drops through the cylinder? The bullet and cylinder measure the same.
    IMO, a bullet that "just drops through" is too small and will cause leading. I use a bullet that measures the same diameter as the cylinder throats and is a snug push-through. I use a micrometer to measure bullets and pin guages to measure throats.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Can't beat the pin gauges for accurate throat measurement. In the end though, as Bill said, the target & gun will tell the truth. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    IMO, a bullet that "just drops through" is too small and will cause leading. I use a bullet that measures the same diameter as the cylinder throats and is a snug push-through. I use a micrometer to measure bullets and pin guages to measure throats.
    ^^THIS^^
    It's pretty diff to get good measurements using a cast bullet vs machined pin gage. If the bullet falls thru the cyl, IMO, it's too small. If you can just force it thru, it's probably fine. Smaller throats are bigger problem with leading IME than larger throats. Smaller bullets almost always lead someplace in the bbl, ususally sooner than later..
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    Just a follow up. Had everything measured as follows: Laser Cast bullets 200 grain ordered .431.-they measured-.433.- Sized them to .431. 300 grain measured -.432- and sized them to .431. Measured cylinder throats and they measured-.431.- Loaded all and took to the range.
    After 55 rounds I was pleased to see very little leading with none to speak of in the forcing cone. I am mainly a rifle shooter so this was all new to me. I'll do this all over again to make sure, but I believe I've solved my problem. Thanks all.

Banned

Just a follow up. Had everything measured as follows: Laser Cast bullets 200 grain ordered .431.-they measured-.433.- Sized them to .431. 300 grain measured -.432- and sized them to .431. Measured cylinder throats and they measured-.431.- Loaded all and took to the range.
    After 55 rounds I was pleased to see very little leading with none to speak of in the forcing cone. I am mainly a rifle shooter so this was all new to me. I'll do this all over again to make sure, but I believe I've solved my problem. Thanks all.
    Good deal!
    There is no sense using throats as a size die.
    I shoot my most accurate boolit that measures .429" to .430" from throats that are .4324". My best group was 1-5/16" at 200 yards from my SBH and just yesterday I shot three touching at 50 yards from Creedmore position. The group was 5/16".
    My groove size is .430". There is never leading in my guns and this .44 has not been cleaned in a year. I do not and will never believe in "bump up." I still think most problems are from boolits too soft. Yes I am contrary!
    My last deer was shot around 100 yards in the thick. I hit low chest, took out a leg at exit but wanted to get the deer before dark so I went to it quick without waiting. It kept ahead of me by 40 yards so when I could barely see the head in high weeds I pulled the gun and shot it in the head. Accuracy plus from a way undersize boolit.
    Fit is good but more problems are posted with boolits over throat or too soft with slump.

Boolit Grand Master

Yahoo! This method had always worked for me; size bullets same size as the throats (in all my revolvers, .44 Ruger SBH, S&W 629, Dan Wesson 44H, Taurus Mod. 85 and 685).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    Went to the range again and same results. Sizing the bullet to throat size cut my groups in half. Unbelievable! I don't know if this is true of all cast bullets, but it sure helped me with the Laser Cast.

Banned

Went to the range again and same results. Sizing the bullet to throat size cut my groups in half. Unbelievable! I don't know if this is true of all cast bullets, but it sure helped me with the Laser Cast.
    I got free samples of those boolits once and they were too small for my 45-70. It is good you were able to fit them.
    All of my molds cast throat size except for the .44 because I screwed up making the cherry. Yet it still shoots tiny groups and will average 1-1/4" at 100 yards.
    I do believe in fit but this one still works. However I did make the ogive at the same angle of the forcing cone.

Boolit Bub
    I had the same problem with my 45/70. They Key-Holed, and just wouldn't shoot. I've always had good luck with my pistol bullets though.