RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Sizing

Boolit Bub

Sizing

still new to the casting. but now new to the sizing also.a .308 180 gr gc being loaded in a .3006 eddystone is any rule of thumb with what size to size to?? my sizer seams to be going about .310 right now. slug and size?? or ??

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    .310 should put you in a very good neighborhood.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

If you can slug the bore but .310" would probably be a safe bet.

I always slug the bore just because curious minds need to know. That's a good thing with my 30-30, it has a great bore, clean sharp rifling from one end to the other with no loose or tight spots. It also has a .310" groove diameter from one end to the other. It shoots great as long as I pay attention to as cast diameters. Just goes to show ya that there are variations, everything is not always as it should be.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Bub

I would suggest you slug your barrel. With my 1917 30-06 Remington after I did this the bore and groove measured .302x.312. What I use for this rifle is Accurate Mold's 314299 that drops a 199 gr .303x.314 bullet.

Bruce

Have you tried to shoot them as cast? it might surprise you.