Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to verify powder charge in 5.56

Boolit Buddy
    bradh has is correct. When the 50 are charged and in the block, I tap the cases and the LOOK. If you are using the indexing type of press, after the powder is dropped, and prior to placing the bullet, have your loading light set so as to be able to see into the case...you should be able to rapidly develop the ability to see if there is a powder discrepancy. Has worked for over 70 years for me, and I am currently using the indexing for handgun, and remove the indexing rod for long-gun loading..
    Best of Luck

May the Peace of God Be With You!
    and to ensure it, Keep Your Powder Dry!
    NRA Endowment Member
    Life Member 1957
    NRA Member since 1954
    NRA Training Counselor: Rifle . Pistol. Shotgun. Metallic Reloading. Shotshell Reloading, Personal Protection In the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief Range Safety Office
    DrBill33
    castmine:
    "Where is John Gault?"

Boolit Grand Master

Varget will "bridge" in the smaller drop tubes and keep the full charge from entering the case as you have found out. Suggest you stick to ball powders such as H335, AA2460, AA2230 and BLC2 for an automatic press. Also give some thought to mounting the press lower or use a foot stand so you can visually see the powder before putting the bullet in. That is what I do when loading on my Dillon 550B. I'm not sure if the RCBS powder check die will work on the LNL press(?).

Hopefully your son has learned that when the rifle doesn't function make sure by opening the upper and removing the bolt that the bullet is not lodged in the bore. Glad he was not injured.

Larry Gibson

I don't understand the dislike of Varget in .223: a nice mid-level charge (25 or 26 grains) is just enough to fill the case up to the neck. It is easy to look in and see if you have a charge or not.

I find that very convenient.

Boolit Master

Best way to verify powder charge in 5.56

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    I'll bet the next time the rifle fails to cycle he'll stop and take a closer look!

I always do...

I would switch powders to help prevent such things. Only real suggestion I have.
    Blammer,

He should pay attention if there is a next time. Youth only wakes up when shaken, I know this from personal experience.

My bad was using a powder which I was unfamiliar with because the regular was not available. The other human failing, impatience. I gave him the wrecked upper as a reminder to pay attention in future. My lesson was not so easy, we buried my friend.

Bliksem
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    varget is great stuff (it is made in Australia!), but I'd be hesitant to use it on a progressive press without a powder cop die when I couldn't see into the case. Hornady makes one, as does RCBS. The RCBS one has nylon internals, but still should be good if they are still available. The Hornady P/cop will be dearer, but the Hornady stuff is well built (if you can wait for the stuff to arrive if you live in Australia. I got so sickand tired of waiting for bits, I bought a used RCBS Ammomaster and the LnL is still in the box cluttering up my shelf.

The idea of pulling each round off and checking it sorta defeats the purpose of having a big dollar AP I reckon.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    varget is great stuff (it is made in Australia!), but I'd be hesitant to use it on a progressive press without a powder cop die when I couldn't see into the case. Hornady makes one, as does RCBS. The RCBS one has nylon internals, but still should be good if they are still available. The Hornady P/cop will be dearer, but the Hornady stuff is well built (if you can wait for the stuff to arrive if you live in Australia. I got so sickand tired of waiting for bits, I bought a used RCBS Ammomaster and the LnL is still in the box cluttering up my shelf.

The idea of pulling each round off and checking it sorta defeats the purpose of having a big dollar AP I reckon.

One of the things I really like about the L&L AP is it has lots of room in it. Boolit seating station is right at the front where you can see into pistol cases easily.

When loading rifle, I leave the station just before the bullet seat empty. When the ram is raised the case sticks up through the empty hole and I can see into the case to verify the powder level.

You're right, it's a real pain to remove each case from the press to see the powder level. That's the situation I deal with loading 38 Special on a Dillon SDB. There's no way to see 2.7 gr. of Clays in that tall case so the only option is to pull every case out to check it. Yes, it's a pain but that's what I prefer to do rather than not check at all or depend on a mechanical device to do the checking for me.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Grand Master

I've no qualms about Varget in the .223 either as it is my LR target load powder of choice also. But as with Four Fingers, I wouldn't use it in a progressive unless a visual or quality mechanical powder check was used. It just bridges too easily in small drop tubes.

I load my .223 LR match loads on a single stage anyway because of this and use a Lyman 55 to drop the powder charges. Two solid raps with the knocker unclogs any bridging and all the charge goes into the case. A visual inspection for powder level is done on each before the charged case goes into the loading block.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Mold
    Weighing the cases is too late, if they are wrong you have to take them apart to start over. I have used a long golf tee with the head circumference filed down to easily slip into the case mouth.

Since you are looking for no charge or double charged the tee will tell the tale, till the COP die shows up.

When setting up my Metal Matic II to load .223 I started with 5744, it didn't meter consistantly. Then I went to Varget. It would run fine for a few rounds then it would bridge and charge short, then the next round got way too much. at that point I was check weighing every charge so this is how I found out. I also had a little dowel that I was using to check powder. It was a PITA so I changed powder.

I switched to BLC2 and it runs perfectly. I use a Dillon PM on the Metal Matic II.

Weighing loaded cases is not a valid check guys. There is so much difference in the weights of the cases themselves that you can't tell anything meaningful from it. If your charge is 2gr light or heavy it won't show up because the difference in each rounds total weight is too big.

If you are going to weigh every round, you might as well just weigh every charge. It is much more productive.

Changing to a powder that runs right is a better option.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I load my .223 LR match loads on a single stage anyway because of this and use a Lyman 55 to drop the powder charges. Two solid raps with the knocker unclogs any bridging and all the charge goes into the case. A visual inspection for powder level is done on each before the charged case goes into the loading block.

Larry Gibson
    I bought myself a Lyman electronic powder dispenser earlier this year, but before that i used a similar set up for my rifle reloading, firstly with an RCBS and more recently with a Redding powder measure, both on a 1981 vintage RCBS Rockchucker press. I loaded the cases into a tray as I seated primers into them. The die was screwed into the RCBS plate and the other end was screwed to the press, using a spare die to hold it down. I lost the RCBS plate when I sold the RCBS Uniflow, so I bought a stand for the Redding.

Then I took the tray and charged all 50 cases in the tray using the measure and gave the handle a hard flick downwards so that it shook the measure consistently between drops. I then took the filled cases in the tray out into the sunlight (or directly under the light to check levels and picked 5 from the 50 at random around the tray and checkweighed those, returning the powder to the case if ok. I once got a few difference, dumped the powder from all of the cases, packed up, went to bed and had another go the next day. As my Irish ancestors used to say, 'To be sure, to be sure!'

More recently I have been using a Lee classic turret press and the Lyman electronic dispenser. Pistol cases use a Lee auto disk in one of the stations and I just eyeball the slide as it comes across and dumps the powder into the case. Rifle case get sized and primer seated, then removed and I eyeball the primer while I wipe away the lube. If all is ok, I pick up the powder funnel with my left hand, open the cover on the dispenser,remove the tray/dish of dispensed powder and drop it into the case. Return the tray/dish to the scale, lower the cover, press the button, place a bullet/boolit into the case and return it to the press for sizing. Sounds complicated, but is pretty quick, efficient and safe.

I am about to go to progressive for some (read most if it works out) of my rifle reloading, so I will probably look at changing powders for those.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

My solution is that I don't use a progressive loader, period. Wouldn't take one if it was a gift. I also follow the policy of charging a case and immediately seating a bullet. Call me antediluvian, but there it is.

My powder measure is an old RCBS. It has never bridged when using Varget. I'm very sure of this because I weigh every charge. Varget is an ideal powder for the 5.56x45 - best accuracy loads are compressed, gives very low SD over the Chrony, and is clean, clean, clean burning. I will never go back to ball powders in the 5.56x45.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I load all my rifle on single stage. Cases are made ready to prime before hand. Priming with hand tool takes about two minutes. Throw light and trickle to weight. Check powder levels in tray with a strong flashlight. Seat bullet and not worry. I can do two trays, 100 bullets in about 30 minutes. 700 a week.

That way I know EVERY round is the way I think it should be. One bad round is TOO many.

I have a 1050 and a 550 that I use for 45 acp. Big fat brass.

YMMV

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Forgot to mention that I have an aluminum "loading block" in front of me when I'm loading. It has ONE hole. I charge a case, put it in the hole. Drop a new charge in the pan and put it on the beam balance. While the scale is settling, I put a boolit in the case and run it through the press. Trickle the new charge to weight, select a primed case, dump the pan and repeat. This setup and sequence is specifically designed to make double-charging as difficult as possible, since I do many reduced and pistol loads that don't fill the case.

The Lyman is used only to seat for 5.56/.223, 9mm, 357 Magnum and .357 Max. All case sizing and final crimping get done on an RCBS Junior that is just out of the picture on the right. Priming is done with a Lee hand-held.

Primed cases are always upside down. Enables visual inspection. The only case that's ever mouth-up with no boolit (or j-wart) is in the single-hole block.

The little aluminum cylinder left front is a cartridge-specific powder funnel. Bottom is cut with the chamber reamer to fit the case neck, so it stays put while dumping powder. Hard to spill any with this little tool.

This setup looks a little cramped, but it works for me. First built it when I was in rented digs, and had to be able to move everything with minimal packing and unpacking. It's been 15 years since, and I still use it. There's a light behind my left shoulder that makes reading the balance easier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails loadbox.JPG  
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    well you have hit the main reason i use a singel stage press. i can inspect after every step. when all cases are charged i take a flashlight and look in every one of them while they are in the loading block. never had a over or under charge.

I have always used a 1981 vintage Rockchucker for my rifle reloading (I have also loaded a truckload of handgun ammo during the years before I got my Dillon 550 and when things were tight and I sold my Dillon550 to feed kids). During the last year or so I have used a Lee Classic Turret Press(how can it be a Classic when it has only been out for a few years,????LOL). This speeds up the process a good deal, but still lets you control the process completely. I lube with Lee white stuff as it disappears as soon as the case is sized) then size and prime, remove the case, dump powder which has been dispensed by the Lyman Electronic scale ( I used a Redding powder thrower previously, inspected the powder level in all cases and weighed random cases). After filling the case from the dispenser's ladle, I pressed the button for another charge , placed the powder funnel back on the bench. The charged case was then returned to the press and a bullet/boolit seated and then crimped in the final station. As I removed the round, I gave it an overall inspection as I picked up another case, if it passed inspection, it was placed into the cartridge holder/ammo tin/ ice cream container.

I find this works well, is safe and sure and a lot quicker than the old batch loading I used to do on the Rockchucker.

I have picked up a Consistent Crimp and plan to load my handgun ammo on the RCBS Ammomaster Progressive, using a boolit feeder and a powder cop die and seat the boolits on the press and crimp in a separate operation on the Rockchucker using the consistent crimp and the RCBS Case Kicker. I don't think they make the Case Kicker any more, but it is a magic bit of kit when cycling the shorter cases through the Rockchucker. You lower the handle and raise the ram enough to get the spring out of the way, insert a case, run it up into whatever die you are using then raise the handle and the case will be ejected automatically (don't use it with a Lee Auto Disk and a powder through die, lol, yo want to remove them yourself, haha! But the mere fact of not having to remove the rounds off the shellholder, doesn't sound much,but really speeds up the process. It allows you to be picking up the next case as the ram is being lowered, the case or loaded round just drops into the little bin on the side. I didn' understand it when I first bought it and didn't use it, but pulled it out some years later and after working it out (pretty simple actually, but I'm a bit of an un-co sometimes) started using it and now swear by it. It sprays dead primers around occasionally, but for the extra convenience, I can live with that.

There's a thread around here somewhere about making a duplicate of the case kicker out of an old hacksaw blade. I'm so enamored of the idea that I'm going to make one after the holy days are over.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    There's a thread around here somewhere about making a duplicate of the case kicker out of an old hacksaw blade. I'm so enamored of the idea that I'm going to make one after the holy days are over.
    It is worth it's weight in gold for loading short cases on a single stage press. Let me know if you want any photos of it, I will dig it out and take some.

Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Best way to verify powder charge in 5.56

Here's an idea. Take another seating die caliber Is unimportant. Put in empty station between powder and seat location. Take out the seating stem. Find a dowel rod small enought to fit through seater and into case mouth. . Slide an oring on top end of dowel so it wont fall through. Let it slide through empty seating die that is backed all the way out. When press comes up it will move dowel up. Make an indicator mark on dowel at top of die when a full powder charge is in case. Home made powder checker. Might even work better with a piece of 3 part cleaning rod. I only use dillon for straight wall. Just a cheap home
    Made solution.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Quote Originally Posted by kweidner View Post
    Here's an idea. Take another seating die caliber Is unimportant. Put in empty station between powder and seat location. Take out the seating stem. Find a dowel rod small enought to fit through seater and into case mouth. . Slide an oring on top end of dowel so it wont fall through. Let it slide through empty seating die that is backed all the way out. When press comes up it will move dowel up. Make an indicator mark on dowel at top of die when a full powder charge is in case. Home made powder checker. Might even work better with a piece of 3 part cleaning rod. I only use dillon for straight wall. Just a cheap home
    Made solution.
    I've been waiting for a powder cop die from the importers all year. I was just about to import one myself. It never occurred to me to make one myself, D'Oh!!!