RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Lee Loader question

Boolit Master

Question Early Lee Loader question

I have heard that the early Lee Loader's (made in the 1960's) full length sized the cases. Does anyone know whether this is true or not? I don't have one left that was made that early to check and see. I am going to try to find one in 30-30 if it is true. Thanks, james

James, The ca. 1960's .243Win. Lee Loader I have only sizes the case neck. It also produces very little run-out and seriously accurate ammunition...with jacketed bullets.

The loaders that full length sized are the Lee unitized loaders. They pop up on ebay from time to time and generally go for 30 to 40 bucks in 30-30 caliber.

Boolit Master
    Does anyone know whether this is true or not?

Yes, it is not true.

The Lee Loaders did full-length size some calibers like 45 acp and 30 carbine, probably some other pistol calibers as well. I know that it took 3 men and a boy to pound a lubed 30 carbine into the sizing die!

Boolit Grand Master
    The classic lee loader neck sized only. I learned to reload with one in 30-30 back ca. 1970. Was real proud of my DYI ammo. Lead to a tale of ignorance onmy part later though. The Lee loader instructions had you processing each case through all the steps, ie. sizing, depriming, re-priming, powder charging, bullet sesting and crimping before you went onto the next one.

I went into the Marines and while stationed at Pendleton, found an old Pacific C=press at a yard sale for 5 bucks. I had a brand new .357 to feed, so I got a set of RCBS dies at the PX, bought primers, powder, and bullets. It took me hours to complete a box of ammo, screwing and un-screwing dies for each individual round until I finally re-read my Speer manual and discovered it was much faster to size ALL of my brass, then decap and Flare and prime, then charge 50 cases and then seat them. Greatly reduced the time to reload, not changing dies 150 times a box.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies and information guys. It sounded too good to be true, but I hoped anyway. I started out reloading after getting out of service in 62 with a Lee Loader in 30-06 but foolishly trade it in the late 60's when I got my first C-H H style press. My memory is not what it used to be , along with a few other things. james

Here is what the Lee loaders that full length size look like. You can search for 30 30 unitized loader or sometimes people will list the unitized loaders without boxes as just Lee loaders, but you can look at the photo of this one to note the different appearance of the die. It may help in your search for one in 30-30. This one is in .22-250 and the asking price is a bit steep! I'm really surprised that more folks here are not familiar with them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-UNITIZED...-/280833422028

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I started out reloading with a Lee Loader for my brand new 94 Winchester. I was as dumb as dog shoot! Dad wasn't really into tools, but did all of the maintenance of the house and a lot of the car maintenance with me offsiding him, I used the only hammer he had, a carpenter's claw hammer of a good weight (Grandfather was a licensed carpenter/plumber / drainer/ gasfitter and all of Dad's tools came from his father in law, so it was a full sized professional claw hammer. I would tap as gently as I could, but would still set off 1-2 primers every ten cases, haha! No matter how much you prepared for it, the bang still frightened the tripe out of you.

I have a few sets that I have picked up over the years, don't use them much, more interest's sake than anything else. I didn't realise until I saw the picture, but I am sure one set is the unitised loader set. I will have to have a look.

If you want to FLS without a press, the Aussie company, Simplex make a series of 'vice dies.' As the name suggests, you lube the case, start it in the die and run the case in using the vice. They supply a steel rod to knock the case out. Simple, but effective. They are pretty cheap here and the guys I deal with ship o/s, but the shipping will be a few bucks. I feel that you would be better off getting one of those cheap Lee presses and a RGB die set. They have a hand press which takes full sized dies.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

I still have my 60's era Lee Loaders in 38/357 and .45 acp. They neck size only. A full length resizing would require a sledge hammer to run the cases in and out of the die.

Flash
    You Gotta Die Of Something........It May As Well Be Something That You Like!

Lovin' the Harley Idle: potato........potato...........potato

Boolit Bub
    The Mequon Unitized Loader made by one of the Lee's (There was some family split or something) back in the 70's or 80's did indeed full length resize. I have several. I haven't seen the Mequon in 30-30, but haven't looked for them either. It didn't take a sledge hammer either. You lube and then using a vise, arbor press or a mallet to do the resizing. Ideal/Lyman made the dies as well and I do have some in 30-30. Actually I have about every caliber in this set-up. My bug out kit for my Glock 17 has one of the Ideal resizing dies along with a Lee Set for the finish. Works very nice. These Ideal dies did recommend a block of wood and a steel hammer on some of the more difficult cartridges.

Final the best "hand" full length resizing dies were made by Wilson. These are awesome. In Phil Sharpe's book he talks about using one in 8mm to resize 30-06 to the 8mm caliber.

Regardless, you lube them then resize them. This was the primary way to full-length resize back in the day before Pacific came out with their press which really changed the game.

Boolit Bub
    I am finally finished with business travel this week. As time permits I will take some pics of the ideal sizing die as well as sizing a 30-30 with it. I will also show pics of the Mequon (Lee) Unitized and the Wilson resizing die.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    The Lee Loaders did full-length size some calibers like 45 acp and 30 carbine, probably some other pistol calibers as well. I know that it took 3 men and a boy to pound a lubed 30 carbine into the sizing die!
    HaHa, I must be a He!! of a guy then.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

You know they are going to be hard to size when the manafacturer puts a warning on the box. The fls dies used in the past HERE IN AUSTRALIA (Update) which are still available, are designed to be used in a vice. Pretty easy then to size, then to eject the case with the rod supplied, either with a mallet or by being put back into the vice.

With the easy availability of Lee dies and cheap presses, including the Lee hand press, there is no real need apart from nostalgia to subject yourself to such punishment nowadays, lol.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 12-13-2012 at 03:31 AM.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

yeah, it is more work and I don't really "need" one, I just was drifting down memory lane a little. Seems to be a habit with old men. I have several Lee sets for other calibers. Neck sizing isn't the way to go with a Marlin 336 in 30-30. I started out with Lee Loaders in the early 60's and I still find a spot in my reloading gear for them. Guess I'll just go put a John Wayne or Joel McCrea oak burner on tonight. james

Boolit Master
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Improved-Lee...item3ccd3a5280

is this what your looking for? the parts look like the earlier posted unitized loader

Boolit Master

Bored1, yes, that's it. But the lady won't accept anything but paypal and I don't support anti-gun companies. james

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I don't support anti-gun companies.
    Referring to eBay? As far as I've been able to tell, their policies aren't anti-gun, they're just trying to ensure they're not accessories to NFA violations and similar "crimes of ignorance". They don't permit sale of the serialized part of a firearm (frame, receiver, etc.) or of complete "non-firearm" items like cap and ball revolvers, because of either Federal transfer requirements or moderately widespread state or postal restrictions that eBay sellers are fond of ignoring; banning those items is just CYA. They do permit sales of most parts, the same stuff that's unrestricted to ship and requires no paperwork to transfer.

Yep, they aren't in control of the stuff moving around and there are a lot of flakes out there who would not hesitate to violate all sorts of laws shipping guns and ammo around to anybody that paid for their hot/illegal/homemade whatever gun and as such are in a tricky position legally, which is a shame. PayPal and EBay make it easy otherwise. I don't use EBay much, but PayPal is really convienient for an Aussie who buys stuff off Americans (and others).

Previously, I had to go to the Post Office and buy an International Money Order ($8+) and an Air Mail envelope (around $3 from memory). Then I had to wait a week or two until it made it's way to the States. This added $11+ to the cost of things before we started. With PayPal, you just add the 3% and the goods are usually shipped in a day or so.

Possibly on things costing more than $300 or so, the IMO might be an option, but the convienience and quick turn around are really good.

There was a guy in the States selling spare parts for pistols on EBay. There was a picture of the stripped pistol, a Ruger Mk1, 22LR auto pistol. My mate has about three of them and was about to buy another couple for his twin daughters who were getting interested in shooting. The price was pretty cheap and he decided to give it a go, thinking that it would just get confiscated. It arrived sometime later and was a complete pistol in bits. My mate was worried that he now had an unlicensed pistol in his hands. I told him to take it to the club armourer to store temporarily (like an FFL, licensed to trade in guns and ammo for club members) and contact the Police Firearms Registry, stating that he found it in his recently deceased Father in Law's property. The cops were glad to get it on the books and all was fine. If my friend had of been a crook however and went out massacring innocents with it, EBay would have had more trouble than is bearable, so while it is unfortunate, you can see why they backed away from it. Shady characters could use it for gun running to all sorts of other shady characters.

My long deceased Father in Law had nothing against guns and had never fired a gun in his life, but he sure had a few tucked away in his stuff which I 'found' later on and got registered.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 12-13-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Boolit Master

paypal may make it easy for some to purchase items as long as paypal agrees with what is being bought. There are always and always will be individuals that don't follow the laws on the books. paypal or ebay will not change that. They simply do as most governments do and classify everyone as a crook and proceed on that premise. Meanwhile, the rights and priveleges of the vast majority of law abiding people are loosing more and more of their personal freedoms. We are explaining and compromising our freedoms down the drain for the sake of convenience or commerce. It is my money and I will decide where and on what I spend it, no government or corporation need apply. Others are free to make their own decisions. We decided that back in the 1770's and 1780's. james

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast