Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Pearl Harbor Day...

Boolit Master

Pearl Harbor Day...

did someone forget, or do we not acknowledge December 7th on this website?

Rich

Boolit Buddy

I say that day should never be forgotten I have been there and it is humbling to say the least. May all those men and women never be forgotten.

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Wont ever be forgotton down here either...........well at least this current generation, can't say what our kids will remember though...............but then its up to us to make sure the memory's are held close.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Buddy
    <--- this fella never forgets and flies a "POW MIA" and "Don't tread on me" flag along with Old Glory!!!

Down here in Dixie we never forget!

Boolit Master
    An Army buddy's Dad was on the West Virginia. What a thrill getting to hear a first hand account of someone who was right there when it went down. He's been gone a number of years now, and my buddy died during one of our many deployments. Heroes both.

I've had the honor of visiting several times, and Punch Bowl. I know that I will never forget. What my parent's generation did is beyond ordinary.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

I didn't forget,m 12/7, 9/11, USS Cole, Marine barracks, etc. Nor will I. I won't forget who responded and who didn't either.

Boolit Master

It's sad to see people not realize the importance of the day. One guy in a place was asking the date. I thought, Really?? He was about 60. On the other hand, a guy in his 20's was mad because the flags at his place of work were not flown at half mast. It means something to some, nothing to some. I turn the corner almost daily and see a former Marine sitting in front of his house. He won the Silver Star on Iwo Jima. I'll always think of him, my father and my uncles on this day, for sure.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

In remembrance of: Ernie Sims, Windsor Illinois.
    Fought at the battle of Pearl harbor. From a 5” gun turret on his destroyer. Tied up three abreast at a dock with no steam on the ship. Lacking electric power to aim gun batteries four men hand cranked azimuth and elevation by command over telephone headset. Japanese dive bomber was coming in for a kill. Gunner called out commands to place the POA in the bombers path then fired his do or die shot within the split second the plane passed through his mark. That big 5” contact fused shell hit the Zero dead on reducing the enemy plane to pieces Ernie described as no larger than a quarter. Ernie was total deaf in one ear. As an earlier dive bomber had narrowly missed his ship as he was running across deck. Concussion blew out his ear drum on that side. His ship went on to fight and win through the entire war. He and one other shipmate departed the ship shortly after wars end. He was suffering from malaria. Ship was sunk with all hands aboard in the typhoon that struck our fleet.

Those men walked through the valley of death and feared no evil.

Boolit Buddy
    My father just got done telling me that it was on a Sunday, and he stayed home from church, to do the milking, while Grandpa and Grandma went. When they got home, and turned on the radio for the afternoon. He then told of the men around here, that survived, and some that didn't.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

For our tomorrow
    They gave their today
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Buddy

I feel this date will always live in the memories of men who love this country. I have an uncle who joined the Navy the following January and served through WW-II. My Grandfather was not in the military, but moved his family down to Mobile Alabama to work as a machinist at the shipyards through the war years. As long as we keep these memories alive and pass them on, maybe the revisionist will not be able to rewrite history to the point it is forgotten.
    One of the greatist delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation.- Thomas Reed (1886)
    "The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not."-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Looks like it almost forgotten here less than 200 views and 5% response almost as bad as the real world!

These aren't my words but I certainly agree

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Studying history is necessary to avoid repeating past mistakes. This
    saying comes from the writings of George Santayana, a Spanish-born
    American author of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries."

It means don't regard the subject of History lightly, as being purely academic. It has great practical value in the lessons that can be learned which can be used to make wise decisions in the present.

Human nature has remained more or less constant throughout the centuries and many of the issues we face today are at least similar in some respects to the problems of the past. By taking note of the bad decisions persons made in the past by following natural human inclinations, we can avoid the temptation to make a similar bad decision today if faced with a similar situation. But, if we forget the lesson of the past, we will most likely follow the same natural human inclination and make the same mistake as persons did in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    It's sad to see people not realize the importance of the day. One guy in a place was asking the date. I thought, Really?? He was about 60. On the other hand, a guy in his 20's was mad because the flags at his place of work were not flown at half mast. It means something to some, nothing to some. I turn the corner almost daily and see a former Marine sitting in front of his house. He won the Silver Star on Iwo Jima. I'll always think of him, my father and my uncles on this day, for sure.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

My uncle was on the Arizona. His was declared MIA and his remains presumably are interred in the wreck. The family very stoicly accepted the news. However, it got worse the next few months. They learned that another son died on the Bataan Pennsula, missing in action, no details available. No survivor has ever come forward who knew any details or the date of his death.