RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cast Iron, Eggs and Sticking

Cast Iron, Eggs and Sticking

Friends,

Is there a trick to making scrambled eggs, or eggs in general, in your iron skillet and keeping them from sticking?

I have three iron skillets that I use fairly often. I know what seasoning is. I can get them to where they look like a wet glass inside. However, it seems that whenever I make eggs they stick. They stick, unless, I literally float the eggs on about 2 tablespoons of butter.

Is there some trick I'm missing? Is my skillet too hot?

We have a older stove with cast iron plate type burners. They get very hot, very fast.

Any suggestions?

Wilco, what do you say buddy?

Thanks,

Chris
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    Friends,

They stick, unless, I literally float the eggs on about 2 tablespoons of butter.

Chris
    Isn't that how eggs are supposed to be cooked? Maybe I'm doing it wrong

Boolit Master

Chris.......Tons of butter. Let the butter sizzle and brown a bit and then crack the eggs.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Moderator Emeritus

Dedicate one of them just for eggs. make sure that it is never washed just wiped clean. Start with a small amount of oil or butter in the bottom. I try to get the smallest pan I can cook the number of eggs I want in it. This is currently a 7" import 3 for $15 from Harbor Freight. I cannot imagine that your could be any more flawed than this one is. I get it seasoned with the oil and or baacon strips cut in half. I get the oil hot then cook the eggs slowly. With a nat gas range and the burner numbers running 1-6 I get it hot on 5 then cut my heat to 3 and cook the eggs. Electric may not have the reactive time so it will stay hot longer. I do all I can not to cook with electricity and cannot help you there but I think this is a temperature issue rather than a seasoning issue.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    I have a special skillet for eggs which I cook every day (over easy with broken yolk) I spray the pan with cooking oil cook the egg and wipe it out. Haven't had one stick in years.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

I have a cast iron pan for camping. I get the pan really hot over the flames, pull off the flames add butter and put the eggs in. They cook without sticking.

Boolit Master

Lower heat use oil or crisco and I think its best to mix your eggs in a bowl first with a little milk and lot of pepper. The only other suggestion is to keep them moving don't let them sit like an omelet. FB

Love Life
    Float them bad boys on some bacon grease. That is the only advice I can offer at this time.

I cook 6 eggs every day for breakfast (for two). butter is key....melt it, crack the eggs in, mix 'em up, and keep them moving. I use a spatula to keep turning them over and over and over. Low heat. Done in a cast iron pan that gets cleaned and oiled every use. I use olive oil.

Boolit Master
    The real trick, I have found, has been mentioned here. Dedicated skillet for eggs. I have about 8 skillets at home as well as a round flat-iron. The only thing that ever gets cooked on that flat iron is eggs, crepes and tortillas. Eggs never stick to it.

The other skillets all do a variety of cooking jobs, and all of them will stick eggs every time, despite being well seasoned.

Boolit Master

For cast iron.
    Dedicate a skillet to eggs, If you chose to wash it, wash with hot water only, no soap.
    Season with a high temperature oil but do not get the pan to smoke when seasoning.
    Use a high temperature oil to cook the eggs.
    Make sure the pan is hotter than 212F when you put the eggs in but too much hotter.
    The oil serves as a barrier between the eggs and the pan. Too much heat will cause the oil to get "thin" over the metal and the eggs will stick to the metal there.
    When you are done the pan should wipe clean with a paper towel and a few drops of oil. Then wipe out the oil with a dry paper towel. usually you will not need to wash it.
    Do not leave the pan with a visible layer of oil, and never overheat the pan, even when seasoning it.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Cook an egg every morning in CI and never have a sticking problem

Pre heat the pan, but don't get it too hot*. Add the oil or grease or butter just before you add the eggs. I only have one small pan (8") that I use frequently, and cook everything suitable in it. I just wipe it out after cooking with a slightly damp sponge after it has cooled down a bit.
    * I've found by experimenting that setting the gas burner on my range to the lowest setting that will stay lit and pre heating the pan for about 15 minutes with the lid on works the best for me, and I use soy oil that I add just before the eggs, swirl the oil to cover the bottom of the pan, and just turn up the heat a little. For an over medium egg, I cook it 1.5 to 2 minutes then flip it for another .5 min with the burner off.
    Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

Boolit Master
    I have an electric stove. I also have a small Lodge pan that I use for scrambled eggs, or eggs in general. I use olive oil mostly. Let the pan get hot on medium high heat, while stirring your egg concotion in a seperate bowl. When the pan gets hot, lower the heat, dump the eggs and commence to stirring with a fork, keeping the eggs moving. By the time you turn the heat off and while you're still stirring, the eggs will be done.And they won't stick.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned

if you cook eggs in my pancake pan,or use my pancake spatula,,,,, there will be consequences.
    float the eggs on some oil,my mom always flipped some oil on the eggs to help cook the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    Any suggestions?

Wilco, what do you say buddy?

Thanks,

Chris
    Hey Chris! Thanks for asking for my two cents.

The best advice I can give is the easiest to do! Use a no stick cooking spray after the skillet is hot. It won't take much and remember not to spray into the flames of the burner. Ask me how I know.

P.S. I've used the Aldi brand of Canola non-stick cooking spray with much success.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't overwash the skillet, wipe out and rinse well then wipe with a soapy sponge a bit, rinse and dry.

You have to build up a layer of "seasoning" (carbon and oil burned onto the skillet surface) and DON'T
    clean it off. Really good seasoning takes weeks or months of use to build up.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I can count on one hand the number on pans we have that are not cast iron.
    Count the cast iron you will need at least 10 people and use all the fingers both hands on them.
    Get it to hot first, (electric or gas), turn back to less than half heat have the eggs
    or what ever ready).
    We use lard, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon is enough.
    Cast iron is all we cook in, PERIOD, yall that are using it to make ingots are
    just wrong.
    Last edited by RED333; 12-03-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Because I can
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Float them bad boys on some bacon grease. That is the only advice I can offer at this time.
    This is the only reply worth looking at. Anything else is just wrong. Use any technique you like to move them around, dedicate one pan if you wish, but my word, stop screwing around, be a man, and get the bacon out!! @(;^]#>:::
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Cast iron skillets can be very slick and never have a sticking problem, if they've been properly seasoned. Once seasoned they are not to be washed in the conventional sense - EVER. Do a google search on seasoning cast iron - lots of info out there on it.

Love Life
    It is hard for me to enjoy eggs that have not been cooked with bacon grease. I have a fat drippings jar that I collect all bacon grease in and keep in the fridge. When it is time to cook eggs, pancakes, or cornbread cakes, the grease comes out of the fridge.

For the eggs I spoon a medium sized blob into the pan while on low to medium heat. Just enough to coat the bottom of the pan with a slight "run" if the pan is tilted. Once hot enough dump in the eggs and cook as you please. My eggs never stick no matter how you cook them.

For my pancakes or cornbread cakes I spoon in a largish blob of bacon grease. Allow to melt, heat up, and coat the bottom of the pan. Once hot spoon in batter, Gives pancakes a great flavor with a wonderful texture.

I wash my cast iron skillet after every use with dawn dish soap and hot water. I scrub the heck out of it. Once clean I coat with a light film of Crisco.

I run a lot so I see no need to watch what I eat at this time. If it ain't sizzlin' then it ain't good.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast