Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Swaged bullet postal shoot. Everyone welcome.

Boolit Master

Any interest in a Highpower-type shoot sometime? I competed for a number of years and had a blast. For those who are not familiar, there are four stages --

Stage 1 -- slow fire, ten rounds in ten minutes, standing unsupported fire
    Stage 2 -- rapid fire, ten rounds in 60 seconds, fired from the kneeling or sitting position
    Stage 3 -- rapid fire, ten rounds in 70 seconds, fired from the prone position
    Stage 4 -- slow fire, 20 rounds in 20 minutes, fired from the prone position

Stages 2, 3, and 4 start from standing, drop to position, and fire. No sandbags or rests, only sling for support. Targets are regular bullseye. Targets to official scale are available and I can post them if there is any interest. Also I can give a more thorough explanation of how a match is conducted.

This was some of the most fun I ever had shooting and not much will get a rifleman's heart beating like hearing "Shooters to the line! Lock and Load!"

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Drawing will be held by someone other then myself. I'll be looking to Bullshop to conduct the drawing if he is availaible. A simple pick your number out of a hat or something similar. You can find out what your # is from the list I am putting together in post #2 of this thread.

BT
    If that's the case, I'd like to suggest assigning numbers to the participants eligible for the drawing, and using random.org to pick the number(s) for the winner(s) of any prize(s).
    As their webpage states - their random number generator is about as random as it gets. Computer-based and human-dependent systems have inherent flaws. Drawing input from atmospheric radiation and magnetic interference is about as random as you can get.
    Proud winner of February 2012's "Ugliest Gun" contest.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post

Drawing will be held by someone other then myself. I'll be looking to Bullshop to conduct the drawing if he is availaible. A simple pick your number out of a hat or something similar. You can find out what your # is from the list I am putting together in post #2 of this thread

BT
    Already done! Check out post #2 of this thread for your assigned # and other info.

Thanks for posting link to random org. That sounds perfect! I'll check it out.

Everyone please check post #2 of this thread every once in a while for info and updates.

Thanks

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Vendor Sponsor

I got out and braved the cold , wind and rain to do a bit of shooting. I think I was rusty but got a couple unoffical targets for you guys to get an idea of what and how we are scoring this match.

I got a member that has volunteered to do all the scoring for us with his computer program but to give you an idea of your unoffical score here you go.

Group size is easy. Measure outside to outside of farthest two bullet holes and then subtract the diameter of your bullet.

Closest to center is a bit more of a challenge but not difficult. I took a sharp pencil (drafting pencil actually) and connected the corners of the diamond to find dead center. Measure from dead center to the farthest edge of your bullet hole, than subtract half your bullet diameter to find your distance from center.

I was hoping for half the size of these groups but the conditions and my lack of practice I'm sure had a bit to do with it. If anything these humbling groups should certainly encourage the rest of you, I'm sure any of you could top these. All though...... I did dang near center punched that one target

I learned another valueable lesson today too, I mentioned all shooters that turn in a "honest" attempt for a target are ellegable for teh drawing..... well an honest attempt and group size do not always equal small scores. You guys should have seen my first attempts at a scorable target.

Now that I think about it a bit, I must have fired close to 75 or more rounds today. I know these targets where the last of that string of shooting. It sure seems like I ws getting better groups earlier on the practice targets before the barrel got dirty. I'll have to try for a tighter group towards the begining of the shooting session.

I can see that we need to wright our screen name on our targets

Unoffical 2.580" target.

Unoffical 3.018" target. Looks like the wind go thte better of me on this one.

Last edited by BT Sniper; 12-08-2012 at 01:37 AM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

Thank you now i understand you closest to the center better i thought you meant a group not a singe shot. I am short on .221 Fireball brass I decided since they have none locally to form some from WCC 5.56 MM got 26 of 30 made trimmed and neck reamed also annealed. They are 5 grns heavier than Remington .221 brass so i know there is less powder capacity but not a lot less. Swaged bullets were quite consistent the biggest weight (about 85%) are 53.8 grns. I am a bit worried about some primer indents on the base i may use those for sighting. Whether getting worse here a couple inches of snow now i may have to use a different place on property to get a 100yd range then i normally do if much more snow falls or drag everything there by hand!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Vendor Sponsor

I just looked up some data in the books for these little 22 cal bulelts. @ 3100 FPS and 100 yrds we can expect 1" of movement for a 10MPH wind. That must have been the reason behind my larger groups especially on group A of the lower target.

Don't worry, I plan to cut those groups in half as soon as I can.

Good shooting guys!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

Swaged bullet postal shoot. Everyone welcome.

The sun was in your eyes, I was jittery from the coffee, I had the sniffles....... We ALL have excuses. 😏
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

I will give it a go.

Thanks for setting this up.

Vendor Sponsor

Yep! I ws just getting started on the list of possible excusses You should here how deep it gets when someone in our hunting party misses!

I was hoping for groups at least this good though and you all can bet I'll be back out soon to give it another try.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

Recommend a ruling on printed Targets up front. Some shooters may not have access to a color printer (Red/Orange Center Diamond). I recommend that Ruling should be that B&W or Color Print of Target is acceptable.

Mustang
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 12-09-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

I agree. either color or black and white is acceptable

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

Thanks i only have black and white printer i was going to ask about that too. Good looking group !
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Swaged bullet postal shoot. Everyone welcome.

Working up a load today. These are 55 FBHP made with federal brass, loaded in federal brass, with WLP's. I tried 8208 and 748 today. The 8208 was terrible. The 748 did much better towards the upper end of the powder range.

We are shooting these an a 1/9 gain twist, custom, AR from a rest. Weather was a wonderful 32 and a bit of a stiff breeze to make it enjoyable!!

Attachment 56581
    Attachment 56582
    Attachment 56583

The bottom target marked 24.5 grains has a .501 group. The largest was 1.007. Now I'm going to do some ladder work to really get it dialed in.

All in all a very productive day!!
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Vendor Sponsor

Good to see some shooting.

I'll be going out again soon too.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    The sun was in your eyes, I was jittery from the coffee, I had the sniffles....... We ALL have excuses. ��
    Well, how about gravity wells.
    Gravity wells are known to exist in the earth. When you are shooting from one, everybody knows the bullets fly wild.
    What's worse about gravity wells is that they come and go. You never can tell where or when one will pop up.
    Proof of that is right there. When I was shooting from that position that darned old gravity well was just a flaring up.
    Now it's calmed down and the guy who is shooting from the bench I just left doesn't seem to be having any trouble at all.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Well, how about gravity wells.
    Gravity wells are known to exist in the earth. When you are shooting from one, everybody knows the bullets fly wild.
    What's worse about gravity wells is that they come and go. You never can tell where or when one will pop up.
    Proof of that is right there. When I was shooting from that position that darned old gravity well was just a flaring up.
    Now it's calmed down and the guy who is shooting from the bench I just left doesn't seem to be having any trouble at all.
    Whats really bad is when they follow you around for a week or two!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

It's a proven fact that there are highs and lows in the atmosphere. This results in movement of air from a high pressure region to a low pressure area, and along with that movement the bullet is pulled off course. In other words, when I observe that my shooting is bad, it's not because my shooting is inaccurate; rather it's because the Atmosphere Sucks. It's not my fault at all.

(I should be a Progressive Liberal or a lawyer twisting facts that way. Oh, but I repeat myself, Progressive Liberals and Lawyers are the same).

Mustang

In Remembrance

Don't even try shooting while the Milky Way center aligns with the earth.......... 12/21/12

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

The older i get the more of those gravity wells i seem to find.

Vendor Sponsor

Now that holiday craze is out of the way, anyone going out shooting. Got a few more donated items for prizes. I'll see if I can track down a few more.

1 month left for this first shoot.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast