RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Encore rifle in a 357-44 Bain and Davis

Exclamation Encore rifle in a 357-44 Bain and Davis

Wowser, a real blast from the past.Got an Encore rifle barrel here in the 357-44 B&D. Sorta screams for a cast boolit, doesn't it?

Looking at the loads and velocities I found at http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w35744bd.html I'm thinking that it's best used with those nasty "J" style bullets. Or perhaps gas checked or paper patched cast boolet options. I would not expect paper patching to survice passing a cylinder gap and forcing cone. But the TC Encore barrel doesn't have such a thing so it becomes an option.

Boolit Master

I never did understand why that round didn't catch on and become more popular, I think it would have had a big following if it had of been factory chambered and loaded.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    I never did understand why that round didn't catch on and become more popular, I think it would have had a big following if it had of been factory chambered and loaded.
    There's been a long history of function problems with revolvers firing necked cartridges at higher than black powder pressures. The wedge action of the shoulder forces the case back against the recoil shield, locking up the cylinder -- this was what killed .22 Remington Jet as a revolver round (though .22 Jet Improved is a pretty decent round for single shot handguns like the Contender), keeps .22 Hornet and Hornet AI from being popular in revolvers, and so forth.

Given the simplicity of forming cases in this class (simple neck down conversions of standard revolver rounds), there really isn't much need for factory rounds anyway; a mouth annealed case run into the sizing die, loaded and fire formed, and you're ready to go.

Boolit Mold
    I have a 10" Contender. I shoot 200gr cast GC with 18grs of W-296 and CCI LgPistol primers and get 1450 fps. Puts the rams right down. Your rifle sounds fun. Might make a handy deer gun. If you get tired if it, let me know.

Waiting for dies and brass. Got an old copy of Gun World from January 1964 in-bound off flea bay, it has the first shape of the 44/357 Dreadnaught with the sharp shoulder that caused significant setback in revolvers. BUT it will hopefully have load data as well.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Davis-history

Looking for original copies of Guns & Ammo, Oct 1977, and Guns & Ammo, Big Bore Handguns, most likely @ 1977 as well. Scan 'em for better readability.

By Lee Martin
    http://www.singleactions.com/BainandDavis.pdf

Boolit Grand Master
    Hmmm, can you say 357-445supermag. That would be one heck of a round.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a Ruger Blackhawk 357 with a spare 9mm cylinder. Gary Reeder in Flagstaff rechambered the 9mm cylinder to his 356 GNR, a 41 mag case necked down to 357. It had a sharp shoulder and short neck. Never had an issue with case setback and ran some very hot loads thru it.
    The Bains should be a great cartridge in the Encore.
    Check Reeder's website for other similar cartridges if you want some more power.

Boolit Master
    Always wanted that caliber for my Contender, never found one. It is on my list to make a barrel for my TCR-87, or maybe I can make one for the Contender.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Hmmm, can you say 357-445supermag. That would be one heck of a round.
    358 GNR. Gary will rechamber for $150, dies for $89.

If you look at the 444 case, it is a larger diameter. Gary uses the 445 SuperMag case, which is a stretched 44 Mag.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    Always wanted that caliber for my Contender, never found one. It is on my list to make a barrel for my TCR-87, or maybe I can make one for the Contender.
    https://www.bullberry.com/custom-contender-barrels
    Bullberry offers 357-44 B&D Barrels for Contenders if you are still interested in one for your pistol frame.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club