Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply PBcastco
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Automating the Master Caster - Another way to skin the cat

ADMIN

It's getting there.
    Waiting on another SSR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Mold
    Hatch,

Are you still making these for sale? I'll be moving back to the States sometime this summer and I wanted to start saving up some funds to buy one. I really like what you've done with the automation panels.

BTW, what's the cast rate with a automated Master Caster with 2 cavity mold versus, say, a Lee 6 cavity done by hand? I know if you run 2 hand casting molds at the same time it can really speed up production, but my hands would wear out fast I'd think.

My goal is to eventually have an automated Master Caster and a Dillon 1050 w/an Ammobot. Do you think you could automate a Dillon too? <-- I could be like that smiley!

ADMIN

Yes I still make the panels. I have a listing in Swap and Sell.
    You can get between 600 and 750 boolits per hr on average.

The advantage with the automated caster is you can do other stuff while it works and it produces commercial quality boolits provided you feed it with good lead.

Boolit Master
    You should get around 600-800/hour. I have had mine running pretty fast, over 1,000/hr but you start to have issues of heat making lead stick to the mould. Run it as fast as you can to get good quality, the best part is, you can sit back at just feed it lead.

A lee 6 banger will do more, but it is more taxing on your hands if you run two at once.

Boolit Buddy
    i get 720/hr and has Hatch says, one can "multi-task"....i lube and size at the same time....
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life
    Frontier Cartridge Black Powder Shooter

Boolit Master
    My automated MasterbCaster will do 800 per hour but when you add lead to the melting pot and allow the melted lead come up to temperature the average will come down to an actual rate of 600 cast bullets per hour. When I run the automated Master Caster I cast for several days and cast 8000 bullets using several molds for different caliber cast bullets. All of the cast bullets are powder coated over a few days after the casting machine is mover to a dedicated storage location.
    The machine is mounted on a steel structure made from 1 inch square tubing, swivel casters are mounted on the bottom legs of the steel structure.
    Most of the powder coated bullets have a home made gas check installed on the base of the plain base cast bullets. I make the gas check makers with my lathe in the shop behind my house.
    I am 72 years old and have the available time since I retired at the age of 70.
    All of the cast bullets are used by me self, my family and a few friends who help with the casting and powder coating. I do not sell cast bullets as a business, I cast as a hobby only.
    The casting machine is ran about ever 4 months so as to have bullets available for reloading.
    I have 16 different molds for the automated casting machine most are from the machine manufacture but a few are converted RCBS molds.

Boolit Buddy
    hatch,? on your control panel, my master caster is setup in a non heated garage (separate building), will the control box handle cold temps dipping below zero at times

ADMIN

The operating range is 32f to 120f
    I believe if the panel isn't powered up at zero you would be fine.

I can look at installing a heater to keep the panel above 32f

Boolit Buddy
    I may hold off now on the panel set up because of the temp issue, or if something that can be resolve latter.
    in the mean time I showed your system to a friend and he wants one and I will be doing the setup for him and his garage is heated
    my other option is leave my stock and just use his
    I will pm you for details

so I will pm you
    Thanks

ADMIN

Do you intend to cast when its zero degrees or are you going to heat the building so you can work in there?

Boolit Buddy
    I use a propane torpedo style heater to get the chill out

ADMIN

If it brings the inside temp above 32 then your fine

Boolit Buddy
    one more ? can I run the pot before powering up the panel while I am waiting for working temp ,plus I will not be out there when it
    gets real cold anyway ,the coldest I will go out there will be in the 20's, as long as the cold temps don't affect it when the system is shut down

ADMIN

I can install a override switch that bypasses the SSR and energizes the pot. But unless you still have factory thermostat hooked up it would be wide open with no control.

Another thought, I can install a switch for the PID that would allow you to power up it without powering up the entire panel.
    It would allow you to have thermostatic control.
    You would need to tell me that you want this when I am building your panel as currently the PID controllers I use for MC panels are powered by the D.C. Power supply (24vdc).
    This isn't a problem as I normally stock the AC PID controllers as well.
    There is no additional charge if you want this done.
    The PID is prob 32-120f as well but it's not that expensive should it fail but I don't think that it would fail. I do think the display may not work at freezing temperatures though.

Boolit Buddy
    YES that's sounds good lets go that route with the extra switch
    I will pm you

Boolit Buddy
    UPDATE

thought i would chime in here and give an update to the Hatch/Wyman automated Master Caster

as seen in post #1 of this thread Hatch automated my version of the air assisted Master Caster. i believe in have control #2!!!

just wanted to say the automated Master Caster AND the Hatch controls worked this past weekend like they were brand spankin new cranking out about 720 bullets/hour for a total of 12hours (that's about 8600 9mm bullets or 150# of alloy) over the weekend....about the only glitch is the return spring needs to be replaced, probably every 10,000 cycles

like a Timex watch...it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin...!!!

thanks again Hatch for a GREAT controller...

wyman
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life

ADMIN

Wyman, thanks for the update.

You know we can swap out the movement air cylinder to a double acting and do away with the spring.
    You can use the same air valve as you do on the Star but just have the voltage 24vdc instead of 120v.

Let me know if you want to do that minor update and I will hook you up with a new air cylinder at no charge.
    It will require you to redrill your rear bracket though....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    Wyman, thanks for the update.

You know we can swap out the movement air cylinder to a double acting and do away with the spring.
    You can use the same air valve as you do on the Star but just have the voltage 24vdc instead of 120v.

Let me know if you want to do that minor update and I will hook you up with a new air cylinder at no charge.
    It will require you to redrill your rear bracket though....
    what are the part numbers to the new air cylinder and the new valve...might just think about this a bit...

thanks Hatch!
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life

ADMIN

6498K637, SST air cylinder, 3/4” bore-5” stroke, double acting, nose mount, $39.50 (AD- A12050DN $22)

AD = automation direct
    Ad is cheaper and they offer free shipping if you buy enough stuff ($100?)

The valve. Snap me a picture of the valves you have. I might have a extra you can have.

Basically the up stroke valve is hooked up normally closed. You don’t have to rewire anything.

On the new panels I build, I energize the upstroke when the machine is powered up but not in run mode. This allows free movement of the handle
    I can provide you a relay and instructions

this thread helped me deciding on an automated mastercaster.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast