WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionPBcastcoInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Automating the Master Caster - Another way to skin the cat

Boolit Master
    Mine is listed as cycles, so if you have a double cavity mold in, just double it.

ADMIN

It counts cycles.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Buddy

I don't know if I need a counter but why not?

I am putting my MC back together I should have taken some in progress pics but I didn't. I took the pot off the MC and installed TC on pot. I completely did away with factory controller soldered wires together that went to original controller then put double layer of heat shrink. I cut cross bar to length out of aluminum bar stock 4 7/8" long. Drilled and tapped ends for 1/4-20 shoulder bolts, drilled 37/64" hole then tapped 5/8-18 for the 5" double acting cylinder. I should say I first drilled and tapped for a 1/2-20 hole not realizing that the single acting cylinder and double acting cylinder have different threads. Anyhow all is good now. I drilled the frame to mount the cylinder mount. This is a 5/16" hole. I drilled mine 2.075" from the back and 2.750" (not a typo) down from the top.

With everything back together I double checked where I was going to drill my hole for the working end of the cylinder. Once I had my location figured out I removed the roll pins on the carrier shaft and removed the mold carrier and drilled the 1/4" hole. Reassembled the mold carrier. After assembly I cycled the carrier by hand and had a slight bit of binding. So now I removed the cylinder mounting bar did a little filing and fitting until everything was nice and slick reassembled. All was good.

Next it was time to work on the pour cylinder. I removed the mainbracket that holds the pour lever assembly and redrilled the existing holes that are already there but not being used. Tapped these holes for a 5/16-24 bolt. Reassembled the pour assembly. Now this is where I am at. I will not be able to finish for a couple of weeks as I had to leave today to go out of town for a couple of weeks. Will finish and show completed project when done.

My machine is the Wyman Hatch design. I want to Thank Wyman for putting his build out there for so many of us to follow with our own builds. I want to Thank everybody involved in these builds for there input. I also want to Thank Hatch for all his help, info and input. And of course for Hatch's Version 7 MC automation. I have the Version 7 with the Touchscreen with the manual mode and safety bypass. Although I have not run this on my MasterCaster yet I have played with it with the lights hooked up and must say it is a great addition to the MC. It is very simple to change the timing and cycles for whatever you need for your particular situation. He makes it very simple to hook it all together and is very willing to talk you through any problems you might have. Again Thank You Hatch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150531_131659.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	140995

Name:	20150531_131752.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	140994

Name:	20150531_131816.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	140993
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150531_131904.jpg  
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,

Boolit Buddy

Didn't realize I put that last pic in there that is the factory controller I did away with. My temp will be controlled with PID that Hatch built into my panel. jroc

spstocksandgrips.com

Boolit Master
    Nice work on the build, my machine was old and the thermostat died on me, i hard wired mine too. It is now hooked up to a PID.

The thing i like about all the MC automations that have been done is the personal touches each person does. It may just be a small thing, but it makes it yours.

ADMIN

Latest update that I finished last night
    V 7.1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmL3C5zfVaA

Added a new screen to the F5 button.
    It is a combo Cycle run limiter and counter.
    It will allow you to set your machine to run X amount of cycles then it will stop.
    It also provides a counter that counts the cycles. For double cavity molds then you would double the cycle count.

This can be added to ANY of the touch screen panels that I have done.
    There is NO CHARGE for this update besides you shipping the Touchscreen and PLC to me for reprogramming.
    This can be added to the panels that have the add on counter for those that want to use the limiter feature.

The limit feature is good because you can calculate how much lead you use per cycle then figure how many cycles to use 3/4 of the pot.

Boolit Master
    Nice addition, handy if you just want x number of projectiles or as you said, work out how many you can cast on a single pot.

The next step will be a conveyor system to drop in ingots after X number of casts to keep the pot nice and full

The counter is very handy, it's good to know how many have been cast. When i know i need say 3,000 i can make sure it has run for at least that many, plus some as I don't get two dropping each cycle, every so often you get ones stick.

ADMIN

Problem with the conveyor is you would have to code in a entry for weight of boolit and number of cavities.
    But it could drop a ingot into the pot after a set amount has been cast.
    I wouldn't do that just because I would be afraid of a operator error that would dump a ingot when the pot was full or full enough to cause a overflow situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    How about a conveyor from caster to collater for the sizer? Just an idea.....
    Fox

Boolit Master
    As these machines really can't be left unattended for long periods of time, i was thinking of making it adjustable, or even with a float that detects the lead level is low and to drop an ingot in. As long as it adds a enough for it to not run dry too fast, even if it is lower than actually needed it will help.

You could make a float out of say a sphere of metal with a rod attached, it will float on the lead and you can hook up a switch to it so when it gets low it turns on/off.

The thing is, where do you stop?

ADMIN

With the exception of tappers I am stopping right where I am.
    This project has gone way beyond my initial idea.
    I can't think of any additions (realistic) to make the operation better (using controls)
    Adding a counter setup was a ten minute deal that I should of looked at during the initial touchscreen write.
    Again I need to say that I will update any touchscreen setup at no charge.
    You pay for shipping to me and I will pay for return shipping.

Boolit Buddy

Hatch when I get back from Fl and before I go to Arkansas I will ship you my PLC and Touchscreen to get it updated. At this point it looks like I will be keeping it for a while as I have not had any "reasonable" offers for my unit.

spstocksandgrips.com

Boolit Master
    There needs to be a point where enough is enough, the touch screen is very fancy. Mine has plain 'ol switches and knobs, not as modern but works.

Tappers are a good addition, but what i found with mine is that the tapper ends i'm using, wear pretty fast. I have small single acting air cylinders that strike on the bottom allen head screws on the mold. This makes them shake up and down to get 99% of them to drop. I made a brass end fr the cylinders to hit the screw to not mushroom the head after being hit thousands of times. The brass mushrooms with a divot in the end that needs to be ground off every 5,000 or so cycles (10,000 projectiles) or else it starts to hang up on the bolt head and will eventually bed the cylinder rod. Easy to do when you have a lathe, they are simple to drill/tap new ones, but they are a wear item.

Boolit Master
    Jroc - That's a shame, for what is going with it, the price seemed about right to me. All the bits and pieces add up fast. Over here, a mold costs with shipping and conversion about $135 each then add the PLC and touch screen, control box, air cylinders etc, the MC it's self.

Boolit Buddy

Ya no biggy I'll just keep it. I don't really have room for it since we downsized but I'll see what happens. I may just rent a little garage or something somewhere so I can go putts.

spstocksandgrips.com

Boolit Buddy
    i am still subscribing to the original Hatch automated MC....keep it simple i say...LOL...

i rather enjoy being out in my Cave (reloading room) tending to the MC busy purring away making about 720 bullets per hour all the while why i either sizing or pulling the handle on one of my Dillons....

life is good in the Cave...

y'all be good now, hear!!

wyman
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life
    Frontier Cartridge Black Powder Shooter

ADMIN

I will leave this here - in progress panel update for me
    . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4530.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	201832

It's not a version update but a larger touchscreen and I am updating to the latest version for myself.

Boolit Master
    Such a clean look, mine has a bunch of switches, an LCD and pots to adjust timers, looks kinda messy but when you use it a bit, you just remember what does what.

What does the larger touch screen cost these days? I'd like to get something that i could use with my system, it uses the I2C protocol, wonder if something could be found to do that.

To the ebay to see what china has available!

ADMIN

I bought two used demo panels for $100 each.
    At the time they were $300 each new.
    They discontinued this model. The replacement is $300 also. Not sure if it does the same.
    I know that the panels I have just plug straight into the plc just like the 3 inch models do.
    They get power via the rj45 cable

There are several on eBay right now for around $150-$200.
    I would offer $100 and see what they say. The demand for them isn't that high

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a good deal to me, 1/3 the price of new, even used and in good shape it's worth it.

I need to find a good outlet for cheap used gear, i want to get my hands on a cheap used VFD, the one i have on my sizer works better than i expected, it was also free

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast