PBcastcoRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: mauser thread diameter?

Boolit Master

mauser thread diameter?

Could someone tell me if the minor thread diameter on a large ring mauser is large enough to make major diameter on a small ring?
    I am looking at a barrel with large ring thread but want to rethread to small ring without shortening if possible.

I'm pretty sure it will. The small ring (93) is 1.0X12 tpi (both measurements are inch system). I believe the 98s are 1.2 major diameter threads. I'll check tomorrow to be sure. If worse came to worse, you could cut the threaded shank off and etc., but I don't think that will be necessary. As an aside, when rechambering a Rem or wthrby 7mm mag to 7mm mauser you end up cutting most of the chamber off of the 7 mag. because the shoulder on a belted mag is almost the .473 case head diameter or the 7mm Mauser. Better of you could find a .280 Rem barrel (fat chance of that though).
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    you can use remington takeoff barrels and thread under the remington threads. I do it for the turk actions. You can rethread a large to a small. thread pattern is the same. You can, use a model 70 and some of the threads will have a mark from the winchester threads because it is an inch shank and different finer threads. It just depends if you want a military type barrel or commercial.

Boolit Master
    leftiye
    When you say Weatherby do you mean the Howa made Weatherby?

Just one I picked up from Gunbroker. Could have been a Howa, was called Weatherby, but has no markings. Issue is that the mag chamber has to be all but cut off to make a 7X57 on that barrel. If as Flounderman says (and I do believe him) the thread pitch is the same on a 98 barrel, and if you can set up to cut the same thread deeper (not too hard to do, and doesn't have to be perfect, the cutting will make it perfect) - then all one would have to do would be to reduce size by threading.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Large ring thread major diameter is 1.1". Small ring is .980"