WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Rossi Puma Front sight?

Rossi Puma Front sight?

Hi, I would appreciate some advice.

Rossi Lever .357 Round Barrel. Cast and 50 to 100 yard paper punching at the range.

I am about to order the Bullseye rear and replacement front sight for the rifle.
    Four choices 1/8 or 3/32?.....Brass or Ivory? Which would be the better 'Target' alternative

Not having seen any and living down under which means extra postage costs, I only want to order once.

Thanks for any comments from those that have used or sighted these Bullseye sights and posts.

If THIS REAR SIGHT is the option you are considering then my own thought is "D-None of the above". Instead I'd suggest a tang mounted rear peep such as a Marbles or Lyman and stick with the existing small brass front bead. With a small screw in rear aperature you'll get far better accuracy by having a better optical platform than the ghost ring like effect from that rear barrel mounted sight.

Another option is to try doing what I've done and shown below to make what is almost your own target rear sight option. The stock rear buckhorn sight would simply not go low enough even with the stepped wedge fully removed. It was so bad that I got the idea to first file the small notch deeper and then using a small round rat tail jeweler's file I rounded the notch out to create a sideways "C" at the base of the buckhorn. This has given me a pretty decent ghost ring like sight that has actually proven to work reasonably well for target work in addtion to being a pretty fast sight picture aquisition for my primary use for the Rossi as a Cowboy Action rifle. Hey, doing this little trick will only cost you a rather nasty looking stock rear if you don't like it along with a few bucks for a needle file set and a bit of touch up blue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rossi Rear Sight.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	54580
    Last edited by BCRider; 11-26-2012 at 03:07 AM.

Boolit Master

Go to Steves Gunz and order the peep sight that fits where the safety is and get a taller front sight.

http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.ph...&products_id=5

Disregard if the puma does not have that safety there are other sight options at his site.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Thank you folks, it is this one

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...1&d=1353371437

with four options of the front post:

http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.ph...ex&cPath=21_24
    Last edited by NZSarge; 11-26-2012 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Add pic.

Those are a nice option if your Rossi is one with the bolt mounted safety.

My own Rossi was bought during the time frame that they were putting those safeties on but mine did not have one. Not sure why but I was happy that it didn't have the silly safety.

I was visiting my gunsmith buddy a while back and he showed me one of those Bullseye Marbles sights. I was getting a little tweaking done and happened to have my Rossi 357 (16 inch version) with me, and I had him put it on, just to try. A trip to the range convinced me it wasn't for me. The double-arperture thing, combined with my old-geezer bifocals, gave me inconsistent sight pictures. I quickly switched that Bullseye for a conventional Lyman 66 that I had on hand. I'd already had my little Rossi drilled and tapped, so it was a quick switch. This isn't to necessarily say that the Bullseye isn't a good sight--but it may not be for a shooter with bifocals. My choice would be a brass bead front sight and a conventional rear peep sight of some sort--or, as BCRider suggests, a tang sight.

Boolit Grand Master

Actually for TARGET use a flat black post with fine serrations would be the best choice, for combination hunting and mild target work you need to judge the bead size by how good your eyes are. I need at least a 3/32 to do decent work and my brother gets on just fine with a 1/16. When I was young I had the flat black post on my Rossi and d and T for a williams peep. I had no troublr keeping 5 shots on a playing card at 100 yards. Now as soon as it gets dusk If I don't have a white bead I am done hunting.