Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 bolt action

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    My sears 101 something or other (suppose to be the same as savage 340 has 4 holes in the left side of the reciever. I assume these are for a side mount scope mount, will that fp 340 sight fit two of the existing holes? Thanks.
    My 340 is actually the Sears variant like yours. I didn't try a reciever sight (though I should have), but there is a seller on Ebay with machined aluminum scope mounts that bolt right on, are much more solid and look better than the stamped metal Weaver ones and have a rail system on top so you use ordinary Weaver type mounts and you can get a lot more fore and afet scope movement with them than the standard stamped sheet metal ones. If I can find it again, I'll post a link.

I really like mine. That little rifle that way I have it set up is a nice woods gun, very handy and pleasant to carry and shoot.

Boolit Master

yes the four holes on the left side are for a side mount ...Williams currently makes the correct side mount hardware and rings

In Remembrance
    Thanks, I think I want to go with the reciever sight and not scope it.

Boolit Master
    Ok, lets keep this thread going. I got this stripped 340 action a couple years ago and stuck it in a old 670 win stock I had stashed. I replaced the top mount to center the scope over barrel. I have not found the sweet spot for cast in it but it sure drives barnes bullets with perfection. I plan to bead blast and give it a stainless look sometime. It really is nice to carry in the woods and just look at the stock if nothing else is happening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2300.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	56430
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    That's definitely the prettiest 340 I ever saw.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    As the English would have said years ago, 'you have made a silk purse from a sow's ear' That is a nice looking rifle, well done that man!.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    thanks guys, your very generous with your compliments . This gun has a soft spot in my heart and goes along hunting quite often. I love taking butt ugly stuff and messing with it to see what I can do.
    Look twice, shoot once.

In Remembrance
    Neckshot, I reckon you have done a fine job there.

Boolit Master

Every one of the 30-30 Bolt guns I have seen were $325 and more.
    No matter the make, model or condition.

Thus I do not have one!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Every one of the 30-30 Bolt guns I have seen were $325 and more.
    No matter the make, model or condition.

Thus I do not have one!
    Keep looking, I picked mine up at an auction a few months ago for 90 bucks, and I wasn't even looking for one. lol

It doesn't look quite as good as nekshots though. lol

Boolit Master

first, Nekshot...thats a very nice stock ! And are you using Barnes Round nose?

lastly....I did find a 340 for $150.00 a few months back in a small gun shop in Oregon,,,so they are out there for a decent price. I passed it up since I already owned on and didn't need another.

Boolit Master
    atr, yes that deer was shot with the 150 gr 30-30 barnes. I tried the barnes 130 but it is too long. I cut some nosler 165 gr with a flat nose to 140 gr and those shot exellant also. The design of the receiver on mine will not let me eject any thing but short length bullets. It shoots the hornady flex tips half decent. For a gun to go hunting with me it must put 3 shots in a inch at 100 yards and this will do it with some jacketed bullets. The only cast boolit it shoots close to my accuracy demand is the lyman 311466. If all 340's eject like mine, having the scope over the barrel is no issue. It sure helps the feel and look of the gun to have the scope over the barrel and you still get to use the open sights.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Hey nekshot, I like it. Its amazing what a good imagination and the proper amount of talent can do and your rifle shows both. How did you tie down the action and barrel? Did you glass bed? I would definetly be interested in one of those if Savage would make it. Thanks, james

Boolit Master
    james, I fit the action in stock(670 has a blind bottom) and made an aluminum billet to fit in stock where rear of 340 action ends. The billet has a notch in it to recieve the rear tang of action. Only the receiver and 2 inches of barrel are glass bedded. The rest of the barrel is free floating. If you look close at rear of action you can see the extra area filled with glass bedding stained real dark. It blends in alot of fellas never guess it is bastardized this much. This is not gunsmithing by any means but maybe A higher level of bubba work than normal. I only use the screw at recoil lug to hold action in stock. It does lock up tight into notcth in billet and doesn't seem to affect accuracy. If I can get some of these photos to load it will make sense. I also include my sons stevens 200. We got this gun really cheap and swapped the plastic stock for a rem 700 adl stock. Sure is better to look at than that grey plastic. Shoots awsome with jacket or boolits.

Name:	IMG_0150.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	56841

Name:	IMG_0212.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	56842

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	56843
    Look twice, shoot once.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    No doubt about it that stock is way better looking than most Savage stocks I've seen . I was down at the local gun emporium yesterday and saw a Savage 30-30 bolt rifle on the used rack for two hundred fifty bucks . Walnut stock , blueing good ............... I was able to resist the urge .

Jack

A 30-30 is a fine little caliber and I've seen a lot of deer harvested with'em but with that said
    I would look for a .308 in a bolt action configuration if all thing were equal. A 308 can be loaded down
    and they are plentiful. A 30-30 can only be loaded up just so far..as I said not to diminish a 30-30 in
    any way, fine caliber.

In Remembrance
    Yea, you are right, the 308 is probably better in any logical way, and I have one too, but there is just something about a 30/30 that makes them fun, and they will get the job done too.
    I never actually looked for a 30/30 bolt gun, but found mine at an auction and couldn't pass it up. lol

Boolit Master
    I bought my 788 in 30-30 off of this forum. Timney trigger and a Boyd's stock. I really like it.

I've wanted to build a Savage 10 action into a swap barrel gun with a 30-30 barrel, a 219 Don Wasp barrel, and ,maybe even a 32-40 barrel, but have never seen a 30-30 sized bolt head for one. If I do ever find one, I'll build it asap.
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Boolit Grand Master
    Wonder how a magnum bolt would grab the 30-30 rim? Only about .026" larger, might work. Or , you might be able to fit a spacer ring in the bolt face and loctite it in place, for the smaller rim.

I have a 788 and a Savage 340 in 30-30 along with a 340 I had Jesse rebore to 38-55, but haven't gotten around to testing it yet. The 340 30-30 shot under an inch with factory loads the first time I took it to the range. Same with a 340 in .223

Banned

I bought a nice condition 788 .30-30 a month or so back and I finally got it to the range today. I just stuck an old Weaver K4 I had laying around on it (had to remove the sights, but they're in a safe place).

Wow! That's a good shooter. I just has some loads around, Ideal 31141, cast of WW and sized to .311 in front of 26 grains of IMR4895. Dime sized groups at 50 yards. Ran out of time before getting it down to 100 but I think I have a winner. Definitely more accurate than I've gotten the 340 to do (yet), but not as handy a rifle.

I think this 788 will find it's way onto a tree stand with me next year.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast