MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 bolt action

Boolit Master
    I had my hands on a 23B for a while ......... long enough to grow quite fond of it, but then the owner took it back home and I was left yearning for one of my own.

Still can't get over the "sticker shock" however ......... maybe someday, I'll find a decently priced one?

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    As far as the OP,

I am not trying to be a smart allec ........ but the best deal to get to a cast "30" for cheap to me is the Mosin Nagant 7.62X54R ......... not a .30-30 bolt gun. If you can find a good one for decent price ...... that's good but barring that, get a Mosin and keep looking for other in the meantime.

The Mosin will give you a GREAT magazine system for a rimmed cartridge. Pretty smart those Russians!!!

Good hunting!!

Three 44s

Most(if not all) 340's I see out in the Pacific NW have good bores.The Savage Sporters in 25-20 and 32-20 are the ones that are sewer pipes in these parts.I picked up a 32-20 in Yakima recently and the bore is about 95% and so far it seems like it will be a shooter.it wasn't cheap though.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    My mate has a short (Roumanian I think) Mosin and it was very cheap. It outshoots all of his expensive rifles! He is wrapped in it! Mine is still a safe queen at this stage. It is a 1917 made Remington with a four foot long barrel, well it ain't quiet that long, but it is so long you bang it on everything in sight, lol.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Man
    formaly Blaine, Wa. now in Los Lunas N.M.
    My local gun shop has a couple of Savage/Stevens 30-30s for not a lot of money but I have not handled them yet but I will soon. thanks for all the replies.

Boolit Master
    In the some areas, seems the Savage/Stevens 30-30s sit on the rack month after month and can still be gotten reasonably. IIRC, here in this part of AZ, few years back I picked up my near mint bore Stevens 325 for 150 bucks. My BIL back in Missouri says where he lives, they can't be got for less than $300.00.

The Savage/Stevens bolt rifles in 30-30 hold a special place in my memories, I was 13 years old when I got my first deer with one.

Boolit Master

I am almost embarrased to say this... but picked up a Savage 23B in 25-20....beautiful bore etc. for $175.00 about 6 years ago

Boolit Master
    The Savage 340 is a great little rifle, but to really see what a .30/30 will do in a bolt gun grab the next Winchester 54 you see, if you're fortunate to stumble onto one. Seriously, give the man whatever he wants for it. You'll thank me! (Mine will print cast bullets into groups that would make me blush if I told you.)

Another fairly rare and highly overlooked bolt gun is the Savage Sporter or Super Sporter (#40 and #45) in .30/30. They were only made pre-war, but are worthy of attention too. Usually they're found in .300 savage, and .250-3000 and .30/06. (Stay away from the .30/06 if you plan on shooting it a lot with hot loads. It is a notorious lug setter-backer in that caliber. I bet it's a good cast shooter though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    My mate has a short (Roumanian I think) Mosin and it was very cheap. It outshoots all of his expensive rifles! He is wrapped in it! Mine is still a safe queen at this stage. It is a 1917 made Remington with a four foot long barrel, well it ain't quiet that long, but it is so long you bang it on everything in sight, lol.
    All ceiling fans have to be off when handling long barreled rifles! Man it's hard to get those things balanced again!
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    The Savage 340s have issues or maybe I should say I have issues with them.
    #1 is the trigger. They leave much to be desired as they come from the factory and there is little to be done to improve them.
    #2 is the bedding system or clamping system or how ever you would refer to the way the barreled action is bolted to the stock. There is only one bolt in the front of the receiver and nothing at the rear. The only other bolt is on a barrel band forward of the receiver ring/nut.
    Both these issues have caused inconsistant results for me with any of the 340s or its variants.
    There are very few custom rebuilds on 340 actions. There is good reason for it.
    If getting a gun cheap is what makes a person happy the 340 used to fill the bill but seems like even that attraction is history.
    Last edited by Bullshop; 12-02-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Yes,trigger is poor and the bedding is like a 10-22 like i said in post #2 but...They are still a rugged serviceable gun and plenty strong within the pressure limits of the cartridge.I personally dont think they are worth over $200 but they are a fine little cast bullet plinker and hunting rifle unlike anything that is made new today.I carried one in my 20's and shot many of rabbits and varmints with one and the 311291 and it never failed me.

Boolit Master

Ok, I agree the trigger is not to my liking either, a little on the stiff but there is no creep. Good enough certainly for hunting.
    I never had problems with the bedding......there is a large thrust block built into the stock which matches up with a thrust plate which is integrel with the receiver..pretty basic and stout enough for 30-30 pressures. The only improvement I made to the bedding was to add thin brass shim stock onto the thrust block so that there was no possibility of travel due to recoil before the thrust plate was engaged...in other works there is positive contact at all times. The target I posted on page 1 of this thread speaks for itself...certainly good enought for deer hunting.

Boolit Master
    I never said they were not capable of shooting well I just said I had a couple issues with them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    All ceiling fans have to be off when handling long barreled rifles! Man it's hard to get those things balanced again!
    I suppose that rules out bayo's installed as well? LOL!

Three 44s

Awhile back a friend gave me his Savage Super Sporter in .30-30. One problem. While deer hunting he lost the bolt. I've been looking for a bolt for quite awhile. Anyone here have any tips where I might find one?

Banned

I've shot factory rifles with a lot worse triggers than my 340 has. It's plenty accurate enough for a hunting gun.

One thing, the stocks often seem like the recess the recoil lug goes into isn't deep enough. When everything is loose, you can rock the barreled action on the recoil lug in the stock. I cut mine deeper and glass bedded it, but it was a pretty good shooter even before that.

I like the handling characteristics of mine, it is handy and relatively light and points well for me, maybe a longer armed guy wouldn'tthink so, but I find it to be a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    I never said they were not capable of shooting well I just said I had a couple issues with them.
    I cant disagree with your points on them because you are correct.The "getting a gun cheap is whats makes people happy" was the part that was not being fair to the rifle.Because for about $250 a Savage Axis in 30-06 will do anything a 30 caliber could be asked to do and with greater accuracy.But being cast bullets tinkerers some of these old dogs we like to challenge ourselves with are just funner for some odd reason.

In Remembrance
    HARRYMPOPE I reckon you got the point. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    I have a Stevens M-325 in 30-30 and it is very accurate with cast.

I have one of those coming soon. Bore is supposed to be pristine.

I also bought a 340 barreled action in rough shape. I'm gonna try my hand at cleaning it up and perhaps parkerizing it.

Oh.. and the Williams Receiver site is already in my hands!
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

I've owned a few of the Savage/Stevens guns. A couple in 30/30 and currently one in 222Rem.

I have the same issues with them that Bullshop mentioned.

I found a great alternative though......the "Rimless 30/30", AKA 7.62X39.....in a CZ527 carbine it offers everything you're asking for, without the trigger and bedding issues.

I really like mine. The only complaint I have is the five round magazine sticks out right at the balance point and makes carrying in the field a bit awkward at times. A flush fit three round mag is available to cure that.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast