RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersADvertise hereInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 6135 USD (102%)
OUR GOAL HAS BEEN MET!
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: I believe the cast lead rifle boolit is the most effective projectile in the world.

I use my 500 S & W with 95:5 Pb:Sn subsonic 600 grainers and a suppressor at ranges <100 yards out back of my house. I don't get near that devastation, but with head shots they go down instantly. Back in November I took a muley in the Ft. Peck area of Montana at 883 yards with a Hornady 143 grain ELD-X using my 6.5 Creedmoor. One shot, cold barrel, double lunged him. Ain't no way in the world his head would be mounted on my wall right now and his meat would be in my freezer with a cast bullet from any rifle. Later in the season I took 2 more whitetails with my Thompson Center flintlock at ~60 yards out behind the house in PA. That's a more reasonable range for cast lead. If lead was as good as jacketed, it would be still be in use by all the militaries in the world. Its a great hobby, just keep in mind the limitations and work within those bounds so your harvest is done ethically.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpkunz View Post
    Back in November I took a muley in the Ft. Peck area of Montana at 883 yards with a Hornady 143 grain ELD-X using my 6.5 Creedmoor.

Its a great hobby, just keep in mind the limitations and work within those bounds so your harvest is done ethically.
    These two sentences don't belong in the same post.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Agree
    Lead Bullets Technology
    45/70 might get that done

Banned

why would you shoot an animal almost 900 yds away.
    was he watching you with binoculars?

Boolit Master

Half a mile? Wow. Maybe I shouldn't be second guessing myself when they are only at two hundred.
    Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.

― Confucius

The photo is gone from the very first post showing the destruction it did to the thread starter's deer. Can someone repost it or mods fix so I can see it? Thanks
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-08-2018 at 02:04 PM.

90 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I tinkered a lot to find an alloy that would hold the speed and pressures for a couple of small caliber cartridges and still expand without breaking up .
    30 cal , 200 gr 197-199 remaining .610 dia , impact speed in powdered dg clay approximately 1700 fps .
    Name:  593d7bd974c2b-bpfull.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  4.4 KB

I have a picture of a "properly" constructed exit hole from a way down loaded 264 WM down to a fiesty 6.555 and I'm not crazy about the foot sized hole .

I know that a big hole leaks .
    If a bullet expands in addition to flat point shock then more of the energy is put in the target .
    Bigger holes leak more than smaller holes .
    If a smaller caliber makes a bigger hole it's a success .

If it wrecks more meat than you think it should slow it down or cast it harder or softer or tougher . These are the beauties of the self cast bullet over a commercial cast or jacketed or monolithic copper/brass etc . We can pick and choose shape , weight , MV , terminal proformance , and many other points .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    "know that a big hole leaks .
    If a bullet expands in addition to flat point shock then more of the energy is put in the target .
    Bigger holes leak more than smaller holes .
    If a smaller caliber makes a bigger hole it's a success .

If it wrecks more meat than you think it should slow it down or cast it harder or softer or tougher . These are the beauties of the self cast bullet over a commercial cast or jacketed or monolithic copper/brass etc . We can pick and choose shape , weight , MV , terminal proformance , and many other points ."

All the mental masturbation and racetrack reasoning that goes on at times on this forum, and it's just as simple as that,,,,,,,.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by mpkunz View Post
    I took a muley in the Ft. Peck area of Montana at 883 yards with a Hornady 143 grain ELD-X using my 6.5 Creedmoor....just keep in mind the limitations and work within those bounds so your harvest is done ethically.
    Hornady's ballistic calculator says 880 ft lbs at that distance with a max charge. I'm guessing little or no bullet expansion. Kudos for your long range work, but I'm thinking the vast majority of hunters are taking big game much closer.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

NRA write your reps link: http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-l...your-reps.aspx

DEAD THREAD...... RESURRECTED!

Any link to the OP's photo that was the subject of all this discussion?

I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeks View Post

I'm curious.
    Photobucket ate it.
    Missing the target is not the worst thing you can do.
    Not taking the shot is.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    why would you shoot an animal almost 900 yds away.
    was he watching you with binoculars?
    Why? Advanced stage of egotism.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeks View Post

I'm curious.
    I believe that picture is long gone but I do remember when it was posted, from what I remember the front shoulders were torn to bits and much meat destroyed. I think the OP proved his point that cast is a better killer but maybe a little too much of a good thing. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

That is what I recall as well, OP said he should dial it down a bit for less meat destruction. But later he took his ball and bat and went home.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213