WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Who knows the "bit screwdriver head cast hollow point bullet"?

Boolit Mold

Question Who knows the "bit screwdriver head cast hollow point bullet"?

Hey cast boolit experts,

a friend of mine told me about a YouTube video.
    There was a boolit caster who made hollow point boolits for his .45 cal hunting rifle.
    They had not a common hollow point, rather a profile very similar to the phillips ph 2 screwdriver head: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DV_8_8233989_01_4c_DE_20150526080210.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	316423
    The clue should be the collapsing bullet nose, that mushrooms, or better deformes or compresses to the inner side and not to the outer side like 99% of the other bullet desigs.

I'm searching for that video or an article about these bullets. Does anybody know it?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
    Blackforest

Boolit Master

We've seen a few bullets of that general concept - if I remember correctly, made of solid copper alloy. The operating theory *SEEMS* to be to enhance the effect of a basic flat point. The bullets generally look like LFN/WFN profile solids with those "screwdriver" scallops cut out of the sides.

The current conventional wisdom (FBI's wound ballistic ammo testing protocols) driving defense ammo design is that handguns are not throwing bullets fast enough to cause damage from hydrostatic displacement in most body tissues, which tend to be fairly elastic. Any impact below 2,000 fps will still create a temporary cavity, but won't displace the tissue forcefully enough to cause real damage beyond the physical diameter of the bullet - read: the bullet only makes a useful effect on that which it actually touches.

My thinking is that these screwdriver point bullets are trying to use those channels to either (a.) compress and displace tissue at a velocity higher than a mere flat point at the same speed would, on the "garden hose" principle that constricting flow increases speed; or (b.) they're trying for a bit of cutting damage like an archery broadhead.

Since frontal area is not increased in impact, these will penetrate much like an FMJ of similar diameter and mass. Like anything else choose your projectile based on your ultimate goal.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Vendor Sponsor
    Bigslug +1.
    At self defence, or even hunting velocity it is near impossible to improve on a wide meplat for creating a wound channel. But ain't it cool looking though! Lol
    Last edited by ammohead; 07-29-2023 at 05:44 PM.

Vendor Sponsor
    Other benefits could be moving the center of gravity toward the drive band area of the boolit more. But no more would be gained over a round hollow point.

Lehigh sells those as Extreme Defense or Extreme Penetrator, with the idea that incompressibility of fluids forced into the channel then the channel narrows and fluid disruption speeds up exponentially...or something along those lines. Thier bullets are solid copper and very pricey.

Boolit Buddy
    A flat nose bullet can make a hole larger than the size of the flat nose when velocity is high. This is because the flesh squirts off the nose like a 360 degree pressure washer and damages other flesh nearby. The faster the impact, the larger the hole because the pressure is higher and the flesh squirting sideways off the nose is squirting harder. The Lehigh bullets concentrate all the force into 4 high pressure jets and it really does cut a plus sign in flesh like a water jet. The Lehigh bullets penetrate much more shallow than a plain flat nose of equal weight and make a slightly wider wound.
    Last edited by mnewcomb59; 07-30-2023 at 11:57 AM.

I believe that the OP is asking about Phillips head shaped HOLLOW points as opposed to regular hollow points…….
    But the picture of the bit throws thought off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if the goal is to obtain hollow point bullets that have the negative imprint of the phillips screwdriver, you have posted the cheapest punch to manufacture them starting from any soft lead nose, and test them on targets that eventually confirm the implosion theory. I just have the impression that they may turn out to be a disappointment, but I haven't tried
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

Sorta reminds me of the Penta-Point hollow point that NOE makes ...

I wonder how easily the Phillips Head Hollow Point cast boolit would come off the pin and out the mould .

You could always make an old school (think Lyman) single cavity mould with a Phillips Head Hollow Point plug and do them one-at-a-time !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Sorta reminds me of the Penta-Point hollow point that NOE makes ...

Gary
    Yes and here is a similar 458 Mihec version. These drop just fine.

Boolit Master
    30 cal 140 grn MP here:

In my experience you are better off using flat points, making more bullets and practicing more. Bullet placement, bullet placement, not expansion is the object of shooting anything. You want a bigger hole in the target use a bigger flat meplat and / or caliber.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

I have a tool in the loading room that impacts a lead ball when you load it. It has 4 points that can supposedly change the rb to opening at different depths after it impacts an animal. It was marketed by Thompson Center decades ago. I shot two deer with full penetration and quick deaths so it acted no different than normal/ TC stopped making that tool soon after it's inception.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I have a tool in the loading room that impacts a lead ball when you load it. It has 4 points that can supposedly change the rb to opening at different depths after it impacts an animal. It was marketed by Thompson Center decades ago. I shot two deer with full penetration and quick deaths so it acted no different than normal/ TC stopped making that tool soon after it's inception.
    I would have bought that kit from TC back then if I wasn't so poor. Finally figured the pure soft lead boolit and round ball worked well enough without that punch on the end of the ramrod.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Yes and here is a similar 458 Mihec version. These drop just fine.

Beautiful. What bullets are those?

MP Molds is famous for their holow point “penta” making moulds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Beautiful. What bullets are those?
    A group buy from Mihec. I managed to get NLG PB, mine weighs 450 or so.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...rain-Group-Buy

This bullet is still available from MP.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    A group buy from Mihec. I managed to get NLG PB, mine weighs 450 or so.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...rain-Group-Buy

This bullet is still available from MP.

Ahh I have that same one in PB LG. I didn’t realize he did a NLG version too.

As evidenced by the photos, the corners on the cavity creates weak points to promote fracture and help to provide consistent behavior.

When we were kids we did that to .22 short hollow points with a small screw driver to avoid losing rabbits in the dark.
    It also works pretty good with .38 Special HBWC's when they're loaded backwards.

Another variation on the same theme, during the mid 1800's some hollow base bullets had polygonal cavities rather than round because it helped the bases to expand into the rifling while keeping the skirt wall strong enough so as to not distort when exiting the barrel.