Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: sprues as buckshot?

sprues as buckshot?

Has anyone tried using sprues as buckshot? Im thinking about doing them by weight say 1 ½ oz and see how they are at 10-15 yards.
    As Thomas Jefferson wrote, we must "prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them."

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Your Sprues must be way smaller than mine!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

I was thinking the same thing!

My 2 cav lyman and rcbs mold sprues are small disks but my H&G sprues are good sized fishing weights...

A non-symetric projectile like a sprue will immediately start to tumble end over end, around an axis going through the center mass (that's what create the characteristic whistling sound of a ricochet). The trajectory will form a curve instead of a straight line. In short; Your "buck shot" will be all over the place.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

Ahha.....a close range spreader buckshot load.

I would be surprised if you'd get decent or acceptable patterns..

Boolit Master

For range use or inside of 15 yds it'll work. Not as accurate as factory. Like comparing a M18 claymore mine with a homemade can filled with brass, nails, rocks. Deadly all the same.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

Spreads fast. 2 Nyquil cups of sprues over 1 Nyquil cup of black power from a 1-1/8 inch bore cannon at 50 yds pretty much covered 50 yds of backstop. Buckshot / round balls patterned almost 1/2 of that. It loses velocity fast too. I recommend spending your effort on real buckshot loads.

I will take the advice and put my time into buckshot, it is hard to cast and sprues are EZ. Most of the 3 gun matches at our club are done at 20-35 feet.

My house is set up with a clear zone around it with the longest shotgun shot at about 50 feet. Anything further out is in the woods and needs the special attention of a rifle. Inside the house is handgun, my idea of 3 tier defense.
    As Thomas Jefferson wrote, we must "prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them."

to load up 5 or so to see what would happen might be fun but to load them up and shoot them regularly, why not just cast more buck shot?

Boolit Master
    Try this out.

http://www.buckshotmold.com/
    I have one (0000) for casting balls for slingshots. Many calibers. Makes casting buckshot easy. I don't use the flush cutters. I prefer to grasp the sprue with pliers and twist the balls until they snap off. Same technique I use for casting fishing lures. It does not leave a sharp projection on the ball. Better an ocassional small torn cavity than something sticking out into the slipstream. Also you will get better accuracy and penetration if you heat treat the balls, assuming you use wheel weight for lead.