Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Redding Dies Dillon Press...

Redding Dies Dillon Press...

My plan is to load 357 Sig in the Spring. Is there any reason I should not use Redding dies with a Dillon RL550 instead of Dillon dies? The Dillon dies are carbide, but the 357 Sig dies still require lube according to Dillon. I can buy the Redding dies and a separate Redding taper crimp die for $20 cheaper than the Dillon dies.

I have been all over the place on which equipment to get, but I think I have decided on the Dillon. I was originally going to get an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme, then a Redding T-7, then a Hornady L-N-L, then back to a Redding T-7, and now a Dillon RL550…I know, I am nuts. I figure that since I am only loading pistol for the time being that a progressive would be ok, and I can get a single stage later for precision rifle, swaging, etc. I like the Hornady product, but I like that you can use a Dillon as a single stage for all intents as it does not automatically move things forward. I think I just hijacked my own thread

Also, do I really need the video instructions? I would not mind having them, but it seems like that is something that should be included in the price. Hornady has detailed setup instruction on YouTube which is one of the things I like about them.

Boolit Master

It sounds like you are a beginner. Beginners need to start at the beginning with Lyman #49 and a single-stage press until they know what they are doing.

If you insist on running before walking, a semi-progressive press like the 550 is not entirely dangerous.

As for the video instructions, it helps you setup the press, but is not required.

As for the dies, non-straight walled cases require lubing.
    Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 11-24-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Redding Dies Dillon Press...

I feel really stupid now. Not a beginner, just OCD. I loaded 357 Mag on a single stage several years ago, and am getting back into it now. I have five or six manuals. The Lyman used to be my favorite, but not so much anymore. I am just unfamiliar with the Dillon presses. I noticed their dies look a lot different, and their tool head looks quite cramped and wondered if others had used Redding dies with that press. So I did walk, but I think I would rather jog with a manually indexed press than run with an auto indexed press

http://highcaliberguns.com
    http://thesitterdowners.com

You do not need a video for instruction. You only need to read the instructions and be careful. Many of us began reloading before the advent of DVDs and VHS tapes and were fine with it.

I own a 550B and continue add accessories to it. I purchased a bearing assembly for the turret and it performs more smoothly. I also purchased after-market bolts with attached knurled knobs for the powder measures. Both are improvements.

I am very happy with the Dillon crimp dies as the inserts can be removed without removing the entire die for cleaning. They are also belled for ease of alignment. These are the only Dillon dies I own as I already possessed other brands prior to the purchase of the 550 press. Use whatever brand of dies you feel best suits your needs. I have a mix of Lee, RCBS and CH dies for seating and sizing.

Boolit Master
    Arrow, you have a PM.