Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman Mould Dia.'s

Boolit Master

Lyman Mould Dia.'s

Hello, everyone. I think it was in the early 1990's that I started to see Lyman change the profile on their mould cavities..This I think was due to their change to a CNC type cutting operation..gone were the old curved sweeping ogives ..replaced by angular shapes. I prefer the old victorian styles for pure aesthetics..but if the newer styles shoot..thats all that matters. However, I keep hearing of undersized bullets from these new moulds.
    In the early days..I'm talking Ideal and early Lyman era..things were just the opposite..oversized moulds were common..the reason? it was thought in those days that sizing was good for a cast bullet..and those early sizing dies would literally "cut them down to size"..they had a sharp step instead of the now tapered leade. And there was another practicle reason..cutter life..every time a cutter was sharpened it became a bit smaller in dia. By having a maximum sized cherry..long production runs with that tool were possible. This is one of the reasons an older design made during the early 1970's might be found undersized..due to repeated sharpining when the same model 10 or so years earlier might very well be too large.
    But there is no excuse for undersized cherrys today..Lyman I fear, like many older American companies is letting quality slide..Where is a John Barlow when needed today!

Boolit Bub

Lyman Mould Dia.'s

No doubt!

Boolit Grand Master

This is a post I made on another thread; the offer in my post still stands. No PMs wanting to take up the offer as of this post.........

Larry Gibson

Over the years I've had several 311299s and 314299s, single and double cavity. All of them have case nominal or larger diameter. The 311s almost invariably ran .312 - .313 with .229-.301 noses. The 314s ran .314 - .316 with .301 - .303 noses. This was with an appropriate ternary alloy (doesn't necessarily have to be Lyman #2 but the tin to antimony ration should be correct). With straight WWs or most range lead alloys they cast undersized and out of round. A little tin and/or some lead added to the alloy always solved the problem. Also appropriate casting technique solves a lot of problems; casting at 725 degrees, opening the spout of a bottom pour to get the alloy into the hot mould quickly, keeping the prue plate within 1/4 - 3/8" of the spout when pouring, leaving a good sprue (even if some runs over) or using correct laddle technique are just a few of the others.

I've offered several times here to test Lyman moulds that were supposidly casting "undersize". I've been taken up a couple times here and numerous times over the years by others. Haven't had one cast below nominal yet. I'll offer to anyone with a Lyman mould in good condition that if you think it doesn't cast to at least the nominal diameter stamped on the mould send it to me for testing. So her's the offer;

If I find the Lyman mould (single, double or four cavity) casts to at least nominal diameter I will return the mould with sample castings and all the alloy and casting technique particulars and will pay the postage both ways. If the Lyman mould does not cast to the nominal diameter stamped on the mould I will buy the mould from you. I will pay a reasonable rate for a used mould (rate pretty much as what a used mould is slling for on the "For Sale Forum") or if you bought it new and have the reciept I will pay what you paid for the mould. Fair enough? If so PM me for my address.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Mr. Gibson, absolutely no disprespect intended and I enjoy reading your posts and your sharing of your vast experience but what about when Lyman sends a recut mold back with their sample castings with their alloy and the nose is still over 2 thousandths undersized from their own stated specs? My own neophyte casting experience with my WW's plus tin solder added aside.

I admire your stance against radical postings and witch hunt pilings on against an old company but sometimes the facts are the facts.

I almost didn't post this out of respect but I figured that'd be dishonest in a small way.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I will return the mould with sample castings [/I]
    Larry

With an offer like that everyone of my molds cast under size. I only have about 80 molds(only about 20 lymans). I would only need 1,000 to 2,000 samples from each as proof.

The only mold that I have owned that I couldn't get to cast to size was a TC 45 cal Maxi-ball.

Boolit Grand Master

Often, it is a factor of the rifling being oversized, and then the mold being blamed for being undersized. That said, when that happens, there is always beagling.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

I don't get we're all the Lyman "bashing" comes from.
    Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have lots of Lyman molds, all of wich cast at least what they are supposed to.
    Just my two cents.
    Waco

I think Larry's claim will be hard to refute based on the Lyman molds I've owned. However, Co. E. H. Harrison pointed out at that time almost no manufacturer produced a correctly dimensioned .30cal. bore riding design. E.g., I owned an almost new Cramer RG-4 (now Saeco #301) which cast barely .308" on the body and only .3005" on its nose. As for Lyman bore riders, e.g., #311291, #311334, #311284, and #314299, only the latter casts at least .311" (body) x .303" (nose). The others all had undersized noses, which shot poorly in my .30-06 (Win. Mod. 70), but not in my K-31's (7.5 x 55mm). As for the Lyman Loverin design, I've had no problems at all with the dimensions of my #311466 or #245496. Btw, all of those molds were well constructed and cast beautifully.

Boolit Master

I would be very happy with Lyman 2 cav rifle bullet molds in iron versus going to custom molds. I like the iron material.

I just saw some of what the OP mentioned. Had a 313266 for the 32 S&W long. Buddy had an Iver Johnson pistol that slugged around .315" (odd # of lands and grooves he was having trouble measuring). By happy coincidence the little bullet dropped them at .315". There was a time when Lyman was in touch. They knew what the customer needed and provided it. Most all the 32 cal molds I see now start with 311. Is that the as cast diameter? If so, they're not going to fit a lot of 32 pistols. Could be the one I had was cut with a fairly new cherry. Can't say for sure, but glad it did cast bigger than the 313 number it had on it.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson