RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Gas Check Seating

Boolit Buddy

Gas Check Seating

I have a new mould which casts a bullet of proper diameter for it's intended rifle. I need to seat gas checks without sizing the body of the bullet. IOW, I need to seat .30 GCs on a .314+ bullet but lack a size die large enoough to accomplish the task. Any suggestions from y'all? BTW, My lubrisizer is an old Lachmiller and has no GC seater as I understand newer ones do.

Boolit Master
    Lee has a push from the base sizing die in .314", just pass it through to seat and crimp the check.
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

Smile

If you have a .270 or 7mm Lee Factory Crimp Die, you can probably adjust it to do the job by holding the bullets with seated gas checks in it from the top. A .30 FCD might adjust down tightly enough to work.

But the Lee .314" sizing kit is a far more elegant solution, and is cheap. If you need a bigger one, Lee will make a custom die for $25.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Buddy
    My question is probably elementary stuff to you guys. Of the many thousands of cast bullets I have fired over the years, probably 98% have been plain base. The exception was some .30 carbine and a .357 silhouette bullet and those were years ago.
    I rummaged through my stuff and came with appr. 1500 Ideal .30 gas checks. I tried improvising to seat a few and found that they require a good bit of effort to seat squarely on the shank. I have Lee sizers in other calibers but wonder if one which does not actually size the bullet will offer enough resistance to set the check in place? I know you gents do it; I'm just thinking in terms of the force required to seat the checks I have.