RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Gas checks needed? .44 mag.

Gas checks needed? .44 mag.

In my haste to start casting boolets (.44 mag) I ordered a Lee90227 6 cavity mold , 310 gr. Now I see the base diameter is smaller so I am guessing that is for a gas check. The boolets measure .430 and the base is .400.

Crimeny.

Do I need to use gc's on these? I did not want to size the boolets. What are my options? I will waller that base out if I have to...

Boolit Buddy
    To answer your original question, I used to use gc's on 44 mag but I quit cause I didn't need them. I now use the 429421 cast hard.
    I used to use the Lee swcgc but I felt adding the gc added a step that introduced variation into the equation. The gc was one more variable. I went to the pb because overall it is more accurate and I can push it fast if I want to.

Boolit Master
    They will most likely shoot fine as is with a little lubing. But the base will have lube in the GC grove to be wiped off.
    Try it before you change antthing.....Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Banned

in my experince if its cut for a gas check use a gas check if you want a plain based bullet buy a plain based mold.

Boolit Master
    I have that same boolit mold but in 2-cavity. At the time I got it there were a bunch of postings about how the gas-check seating area is a bit small so don't be surprised if the gas check fits loose.

It's up to you what you want to do but with me, haven't had much luck not putting gascheck on gascheck designs either.

Boolit Master
    in my limited expereince....in my 44 mag gas check boolits without a gass check out shot the same boolit with a gas check.....not by much but it was noticeable.

most of my current shooting is a lbt 280 plain base, but i also bought the gb 290 gc.
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Push that 310 hard!

I did not get good results with that big ole slug until I was maximizing my charges. I cannot really say if you will get good results without the gas check, but my Ruger blackhawk simply loves this seated out on the second canneleur and loaded with 20gr. of H110 (remember this powder likes magnum primers). This is the only bullet I make that can always equal the performance of premium jacketed bullets. This bullet is great for hunting: accuracy, momentum, huge meplat. You will always hear the contact of this bullet with your target.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

Banned

Black44hawk, the Lee boolit shoots better with 21.5 gr's of 296 in the Blackhawk. With H110, go half a gr more. I never got tight groups with H110 in the Ruger. I also use a Fed 150 primer. This boolit has been close to an inch at 100 yd's.
    As to the gas check, I don't know how many times I have posted that it is a DRIVE BAND also. If leaving it off makes the boolit too short for the rifling, it will NOT shoot good. If it is still long enough it will still shoot good but I have seen too many boolits keyhole with the check left off. There is only one way to tell and that is to shoot it both ways. Every single boolit will act different as will every different gun.
    This is a question that CAN'T be answered by others, shoot the things and see.

Thanks for all the help guys, I will shoot some of what I have cast without GC's. Soon as I get a chance, I will machine out the base to eliminate the step for the gas check. Could even be fun.... I don't need no stinkin Gas Check!

Ok so far... Shot the 310gr with my lever gun (due to injured hand from angry mower steering wheel, I left the revolver home) both with and without the Gas Checks. They both shot well at shorter ranges. Will try ~100 yd. when I get a chance. I did have to anneal the GC's 'cause I could turn them slightly after sizing. Not a problem.

The Lovely Pamela now has me casting for her 9mm. I am wondering if this is to keep better track of me. Come to think of it, the more rounds she cycles thru her 9mm & .45ACP, the more my time is accounted for with the casting-cleaning-loading steps. She does spend time on the presses, but I am keeping an eye on these events.....

Thanks Mr. Dye for the visual aides and the rest of the contributors here for the great advice.

John O.