Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728

Thread: High Copper Alloys- Lets discuss this further

I've posted this before but this is recovered from a gravel pile, 40sw (~950 fps) 165gr PB from about 5 feet. mis-shaped but lost only ~2% weight. ~3% Sb and 0.2% Cu, NO tin.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	recovered1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	319878
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    This is an interesting thread. I have been slightly interested in a general way, but since I hope to cast .22 caliber boolets for myself and for my BIL, my concern has become more focused.
    Thanks to 357Ruger, post #6 for helping me understand how much copper I can expect to incorporate into tin. (Is it possible that minute quantities of copper in pewter are responsible for some casters success alloying lead with pewter?)
    Yesterday while accompanying my wife to a local vender hotspot I scored two more pewter items to add to my stash, a sconce and a pitcher, at a reasonable price, weighing a total of 2 lbs. That brings my total to 12-13 lbs. which will require less that a pound of copper to max out.
    I plan to disassemble a defunct die grinder for the fine wire. With the pewter in a skillet over my turkey fryer (outdoors) I will introduce the copper to the melt. I will keep you posted on my progress.
    Update
    The die grinder provided a disappointing 2 oz. of copper. There was more in the armature, probably almost as much again, but it was epoxied, so in the Cu recycle pail it went.
    I am looking for a different source of copper.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Mold
    Hello,

I am new here and found this thread as a result of an old man telling me that when he was young an old man he lived near by used to melt a nickel into a pot of lead for casting with an acetlyene torch. Nickels are cupronickel and i am wondering if this is even possible or a tall tale.

I currently have pure lead, pewter, range scrap lead, and a whole mess of speaker wire that I was going to throw away. Is it possible for me to make a high copper mix with what I have? Sorry, but the chemistry is kind of beyond me as I never took it in high school.

Thanks all.

Boolit Mold
    ???

IDguy, if you start at the start of the thread, read it all through... (only takes a few hours, really) you'll see how you can add copper to what you have

anything is possible, just takes technique

I'm still trying to decipher it as well

I have a LOT of pure, 3-400# of COWW, 10# of pewter, 10# of lino, 10# of mono.... been playing with the alloy calculator to see what I can get

Try range some Range scrap first, tin some wire, dip it into the acid, then dip/stir into your melted scrap, see what happens. keep going until it won't dissolve any more copper, and keep an eye on your dross
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728