RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: High Copper Alloys- Lets discuss this further

Banned

i have seen a picture of low tin alloys and the surface becomes mottled with tin,but in a uniformly dotted way.
    if you increase the tin it starts to flow on the surface of the alloy but not uniformly,so it looks real patchy and builds up unevenly.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    303guy - I've been staying with the upper left side of the triangle (Sb=Cu) so that you get Cu2Sb, Pb with the 0.3%Cu as a 'dislocation' toughener in the lead. It acts like As in with Sb, forms in the lattice and keeps the lattice from shearing so easily. A smidgen of As keeps the Sb alloy in small grains. I have a report that states ~0.2% Sn helps but no reason is given as to why. I've shot 308 165 FN GCd with this alloy at the same load as 168 Amax (41g of H4895) with the same accuracy. Sorry, don't have a chrony and max load is 43g.
    What twist rate is the barrel of your 308?
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Interesting, thanks.

My alloy before I cut it in half with lead pipe had shrinkage problems in my mold and that was all. The plucked sprue was crystalline and the freshly cast boolit bent easily. It hardened up pretty soon. The cut back alloy casts fine with a shiny surface and the sprue plucks into a sharp nub (nose pour with sprue 'funnel'). I swaged a .357 boolit into .318 with no problem although it took a fair bit of pressure. I see none of the described tin flow on the surface. I did note the sprue was stiff to cut on the .357 mold. Interesting stuff this unknown alloy. I tried dissolving copper into it but didn't succeed in the tinning so I'll try again with a new bit of copper. This is way too much fun to give up on!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    BTW, I think that middle of the mitten guy is why I am going even balder. I feel we need to understand the mechanics of the alloy to take full advantage of using it. We know the mechanical properties of the Cu enriched alloy is an improvement when trying to go fast but if we understand somewhat why, we might figure out other ways to further improve the alloys.

Edd
    My Dad blames me for the same thing...maybe there is some truth to it??? :Lol: .......or maybe you both just are just plain full of it and I am being unjustly accused of folicide.

As far as the rest of your thoughts.....I totally agree but typing that is no where near as much fun as pulling your chain. Seeing as to how you want to kill all my fun I will have to agree that improving on things is good, keep thinking...you still have some hairs left.

Sb%+Cu%=Sn%, or so it is with Ideal's #1, 10Sn 7Sb 3Cu. I'm going to do a batch of it before long. Popper's method has caught my eye, especially for removing zinc, but I think the high Sn percentage of the #1 plays a big role in both the strength and malleability of the alloy.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Vrygd
    Last edited by badgeredd; 06-23-2014 at 05:36 PM.
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Banned

that 165-b boolit is outstanding in the 308 rifles.
    it's what i'm using in mine also,i'm only pushing about 2300 area right now.
    might have to get back to some copper alloys and just shove it out the barell to see what gives.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    that 165-b boolit is outstanding in the 308 rifles.
    it's what i'm using in mine also,i'm only pushing about 2300 area right now.
    might have to get back to some copper alloys and just shove it out the barell to see what gives.
    Mine is the DPMS carbine, hoot to shoot.
    I am not familiar with the 165-B. Who makes molds for it?
    I have been shooting the Lee 170 flat nose. Not as accurate as I like yet, gunna see what cu can do terminally, but not sure what to expect accuracy as I have not achieved accuracy beyond 3moa with this boolit.
    Sheep Dog
    Minutman
    Boyscout
    Contructionist
    Patriot

Boolit Master

Poohf
    Last edited by badgeredd; 06-23-2014 at 05:37 PM.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Boolit Grand Master
    I wonder if he means it won't tell what intermettallic compounds are present.
    The base metals are what makes up the ternary alloy.

Boolit Master

Hodgj
    Last edited by badgeredd; 06-23-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Banned

the 165-b is made by accurate molds.

the analyzers sometimes will give you readings of stuff based on what they are told to look for.
    sometimes they will read iron in ww alloy i have no doubt that there is [or could be] some in them, but not 4%.
    the reader is telling you all the free stuff is iron because it's closest to what it's supposed to be looking for.

Boolit Master

Well guys, I was wrong about being wrong. After reading a post today, I went into search mode and started reading everything I could find about intermetallic compounds. After 2 hours or more of reading I came to the conclusion that when one is after a BALANCED alloy we have to balance the sum of the copper+antimony = tin. Intermetallic compounds are made fron Sb & Sn and from Cu & Sn, so the SN = Sb + Cu. This is what I had said originally but had changed because I misunderstood something else I had read.

357maximum thought I was correct with my first idea and can now neener, neener.

Edd

Banned
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE...DON'T _______ FIX IT The Governement does a good enough job fixing things till they break and they do not like competition.

I had faith in your work Edd, too bad you had to start thinking and losing all that hair eh?????????????

HAR D HAR HAR

NEENER NEENER NEENER.

When an alloy allows you do J-word speeds with accuracy in several mid/upper level calibers...how much can be wrong?.....I say....how much can be wrong????????????????????????????

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep. Results speak volumes. The what outweighs the why. Heck, it may not really matter long as some Cu is present. Might be like As?

Boolit Master
    Badgeredd, am I assuming correctly that you would need say 5% antimony + 5% copper and 10% tin?

More like 3.0-3.5% Sn, 0.5-1.0% Cu, and 2.0-2.5% Sb

Banned

i'm using 4831-sc right now, i'm up to 45 grs with a little room still in the case.
    i have tried a filler with 44grs.
    and wanna try some buffer but don't have any.
    i'm using a long barelled AR-30 for the initial shooting so i'm getting all the use from the powder,it's just starting to clean up at 44.5 grs.
    i'm still using a rather soft alloy because i'm also looking at the hunting side of this, so i'm trying to keep the malleability of the alloy as high as possable.
    and the pressure down the barell as far as possible.
    i'll eventually end up switching powders around to see what's what.
    or adding a little kicker to the 4831.

Boolit Master

Chgdf
    Last edited by badgeredd; 06-23-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Boolit Master

aieou
    Last edited by badgeredd; 06-23-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast