RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Has anyone tested MP HP bullets for expansion?

Boolit Buddy

Has anyone tested MP HP bullets for expansion?

Has anyone tested MP HP bullets? hat type of bullet were you using, what ratio of lead:tin:antinomy did you use, what powder did you use, what was the MV, and what medium you used?

Quote Originally Posted by BJung View Post
    Has anyone tested MP HP bullets? hat type of bullet were you using, what ratio of lead:tin:antinomy did you use, what powder did you use, what was the MV, and what medium you used?
    I shot the MP359 Hammer bullets. My Bullets weigh 155 grains cast from a 4 cavity brass mold with the deepest hollow point pins installed, made of 90 / 5 / 5 alloy, powder coated light blue, sized with a Lee 357 push thru sizer. I loaded in 357 Magnum Starline brass with 16.5 grains of H110 shot through a 6.5 inch Ruger Blackhawk at steel plates. I was unable to locate bullet fragments. Those bullets were getting there real quick. I do not know the velocity.

Boolit Master
    I'm shooting the same Hamer boolits, with the Penta pin hp's. Only I'm using a softer alloy at 1200fps or so. I havent checked them for expansion, as I havent come up with a suitable testing media.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Master
    Ask and you will receive...

Pistol Caliber examples of HP testing:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...expansion-test

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...y-for-9mm-HP-s

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-they-worth-it

Rifle Caliber Examples in this thread:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...C-Solid/page28

That should be a pretty good start for you to answer your own questions.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    If you look at some of my old posts, I’ve had good luck and bad luck, depending on what alloy I use. I use 10.5 BH 50-50 clip on wheel weights and pure in my 35 Remington at 2100 ft./s and it puts fist size holes in and out of ribs on deer and drop them in their tracks. I’ve also tried 15.4 BH out of my 44 magnum rifle was zero expansion at 1750 ft./s. It was like shooting deer with an arrow with a field point or FMJ. Soft alloy, gas checks, and power coating with the softest alloy your gun will shoot accurately is the key to good expansion. I’ve switched to 40 to one in my rifle for the 44 magnum but yet they have a deer walk by during our antlerless only hunt to test it on. I’m sure it will expand very nicely at 1600 ft./s which I have it loaded at. I use the deep round pin in the .35 cal MP mold.

For my LHP I go 20-1 lead/tin for bullets 1000-1300fps. For under 1000fps, 25-1 seems to work well. HP designs can be all over the place though.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol