Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: First shot, cold barrel

Boolit Master

First shot, cold barrel

I tried a little experiment while we had our cold snap. I shoot black powder and use bore butter as a lube and as a barrel rust preventer. My experiment went as follows:
    Lubed my 41mag barrel, that normally shoots the first shot high with a clean cold barrel, with bore butter and ran a few dry patches to just leave a film. Set it and the ammo in the garage overnight(18degrees in the morning), shot it at 8am when the range opened. Bullseye, first shot and the rest of the cylinder all went into the same group. So, I went home and cleaned it and did it again, Bullseye, all shots grouped right where they should. Barrel looked clean and bright like normal. I use a 3parts BAC 1 part Carnuba lube. I have to do more testing but the temps haven't been low enough. I want to try the same with a few guns and see if it carries over.

Boolit Master

I'd like to see your results..so please keep us posted.

Boolit Buddy
    Not that it gets that cold here, but I am curious to see your results. Please keep us posted.

Matt

Banned

you could also try not lubing the bbl and lowering the first shot's powder load by 4.5%,
    this will usually keep a rifles first shot in the group when they have a tendancy to throw the first one high left.

Boolit Master

This is for my hunting loads mainly. I may not get a chance until after our 2 week rifle season that starts on Monday. Looks like temps will stay in the mid to upper 20's overnight through the weekend. I may do another one tomorrow just to see, supposed to be 24.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    You may want to just sight your hunting rifle with a clean bore that has one fouling shot. Sight it to where this second shot is always dead on and keep it that way.
    Most rifles will print the shots after the first to the same POA.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Man
    I am haveing the same thing with my 77/357 Ruger. Bullet is the RCBS .357/180 Sil. Lube is 1 lb beeswax,13 oz petroleum jelly and 3 oz Amsoil 100:1,2 cycle oil. I've used this lube since the mid 80's but always in warm weather. After the first shot high and left, it will rip a 1" bullseye out of the target,10 shot,50 yds.

Boolit Master

I haven't had a chance to range test again. I will tell you that at least in my 41mag, The boolit went right where the cross hair was on my deer today. I will get the test shooting done after next week.