RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on C&R FFL rules for those that have a C&R

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar

Question on C&R FFL rules for those that have a C&R

Hi,

This question is for those out there that have a Curios and Relics FFL. My apologies, but I couldn't find an appropriate forum here on this board to post the question.

Can a C&R FFL receive a qualified C&R rifle from out of state for someone else who does not have a C&R FFL? I'm thinking they cannot, but wanted to check with those that have one.

Thank you,

Dave

P.S. To make the situation more clear, an out of state buyer sent me his money order and a signed copy of his buddy's C&R FFL. He wants me to ship a rifle I had for sale to his buddy and he will get it from his buddy. To me, this sounds very much like a straw man purchase and I'm not comfortable with it at all, but wanted to check with C&R FFL holders so I would know the rules/laws related to this.
    Last edited by DaveInFloweryBranchGA; 11-23-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    The c&r was going to get the gun and then give/sell it to someone else right away?... Wouldn't be a good idea as the c&r is designed for collectors and not BUSINESS. It would be a pretty gray area as far as I am concerned... I wouldn't do it....just my 2 cents

Boolit Master

Yes, it is perfectly legal to receive C&R firearms Interstate from a NON-Licensee.
    You should get a photo ID from the seller for your Bound Book record.
    If it is a C&R Handgun, the shipper may need a copy of your FFL license in order to ship via UPS/Fedex.

Here is a quote from BATFE...
    quote:
    (B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Long Guns may be shipped USPS by a Non-Licensee to ANY licensed dealer in any state.
    Last edited by Mooseman; 11-23-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Mooseman,

You're misunderstanding the question. I'm not asking about a C&R receiving from a Non-FFL holder. I'm asking about the C&R receiving the rifle, then turning around immediately and turning it over to a Non-FFL holder.

Boolit Master

Perfectly Legal
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html

Q: What does “engaged in the business” mean?
    The term “engaged in the business,” as applicable to a firearms dealer, is defined as a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms.

A C&R license holder can Buy and then turn around and resell the gun, as long as it is logged in his bound book and he is not transferring it to a prohibited person. Once YOU send it to a Licensed individual , he assumes the liability under the law to follow the regs set forth By BATFE.
    I had a C&R Holder get a Mosin for me, BATFE said it was legal .
    Rich
    Last edited by Mooseman; 11-23-2012 at 05:43 PM.
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Master
    Mooseman is spot on.

That said, if it concerns you, ask for a phone number and give the other C&R a call and talk to him to verify that the intended receipient can leagally own a firearm.
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Boolit Grand Master

Legal, but many C&R guys are REAL gunshy, so to speak, and will not do it at all
    just to keep a wide gap between their actions and the "edges" of the license.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I've held a C&R for 17 years (due up again for my 6th renewal in the spring) and I would advise the C&R Holder to NOT go through with the purchase. Its up to you as the seller to commit to the sale. I would advise you to tell him to find a local gunshop who does transfers. It sounds like he's trying to get around the typical $25-30 fee from the local gun dealer by having his buddy do him a "deal."

Technically, the 03 FFL (C&R) could "purchase" the firearm from you, log it into his bound book and then transit it out to the other fellow but since the book would reflect a very fast turn-around on the firearm (we are allowed to sell our firearm purchases but ONLY in order to improve the collection or if we have to liquidate our collections) and whenever he lets his license lapse, that book has to be sent into the BATFE for their own records and if they see something like this, it may raise questions that he may not want to answer.

The requirement to return our Boundbooks back to the BATFE is a recent change courtesy of The Patriot Act so the other 03 FFL may not be current on his regs.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

This is straight from BATFE...and their CURRENT web site I posted.

Q: Are licensed collectors required to turn in their acquisition/disposition records to ATF if their collector’s license is not renewed or they discontinue their collecting activity?
    No. The GCA requires the delivery of required records to the Government within 30 days after a firearm “business” is discontinued. A license as a collector of curios or relics does not authorize any business with respect to firearms. This is in contrast to firearm importers, manufacturers, and dealers who are licensed to engage in a firearms business. Therefore, the records required to be kept by licensed collectors under the law and regulations are not business records and are not required to be turned in to ATF when collectors’ licenses are not renewed or collecting activity under such licenses is discontinued.

If I have any question that cannot be answered by the BATFE website I call My local Agent and ask for clarification. They have always either known the answer or researched it and called me back.
    There is lots of Misconceptions, Your C&R Regulation book should tell you the answers. This type of sale is even talked about on gunbroker.Com Forums , etc.
    Last edited by Mooseman; 11-23-2012 at 10:16 PM.

The thing I'm uncomfortable with is the money is coming from one source (The buyer) and the 03 FFL from another. I haven't found anything on the BATF website that makes that crystal clear for me and I've looked there a good bit. In this day and age, if it isn't crystal clear, I feel caution is the better part of valor.

Boolit Master

ATF Publication 5300.4
    Revised September 2005

Subpart H—Records
    § 478.121 General.
    (a) The records pertaining to firearms transactions prescribed by this part shall be retained on the licensed premises in the manner prescribed by this subpart and for the length of time prescribed by § 478.129. The records pertaining to ammunition prescribed by this part shall be retained on the licensed premises in the manner prescribed by § 478.125.
    (b) ATF officers may, for the purposes and under the conditions prescribed in § 478.23, enter the premises of any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector for the purpose of examining or inspecting any record or document required by or obtained under this part. Section 923(g) of the Act requires licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers,
    and licensed collectors to make such records available for such examination or inspection during business hours or, in the case of licensed collectors, hours of operation, as provided in § 478.23.
    (c) Each licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, and licensed collector shall maintain such records of importation, production, shipment, receipt, sale, or other disposition, whether temporary or permanent, of firearms and such records of the disposition of ammunition as the regulations contained in this part prescribe. Section 922(m) of the Act makes it unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector knowingly to make any false entry in, to fail to make appropriate entry in, or to fail to properly maintain any such record.

And you are correct we don't HAVE to turn in our boundbooks at the end of the license period (3 years) but the BATFE can and have called people for copies of their boundbooks which we ARE required to maintain even if we allow the license to lapse. The reason I know that is that I was called (actually they called the house as I was deployed to Iraq at the time and it had lapsed during the 15 months I was there) to provide a copy of my book since a C&R pistol I had legally sold to another soldier a few years prior had been stolen from his residence and then used in a crime the next day. THe BATFE traced the pistol back to the importer and then to me as I had purchased it on my C&R 10 years prior. The BATFE asked my wife to provide them with the book to verify my proper trans-out record, but she was smart enough to email me immediately after their phone call. They showed up the next day to the house and got two notarized true-copies of the Acquisition and Disposition pages out of my book for them to have for their file on that pistol.

I still have that book. Its a very nice green leather-bound ledger book and I wasn't about to let them have the book just for them to just chuck the book in the file cabinet after the case was closed. That book resides in a firebox with our other important documents and my wife knows that if I should die it needs to be mailed in to the Records Center to show the disposition of the firearms to my sons.

Bruce

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    The thing I'm uncomfortable with is the money is coming from one source (The buyer) and the 03 FFL from another. I haven't found anything on the BATF website that makes that crystal clear for me and I've looked there a good bit. In this day and age, if it isn't crystal clear, I feel caution is the better part of valor.
    Dave,
    You need to be in contact with the C&R license holder and get a signed copy of HIS license and where his address listed on it is and send the gun to the listed address. This is the proper way of doing it. After that the ball is in his court.
    Rich

I didn't get money from that C&R holder, so I'm not shipping anything to that C&R holder unless I can find something in writing that says that's "ok."

Boolit Master

Funny, Thats how it works on gunbroker.com. , Auction arms, Cabelas, etc.
    If I buy a gun I pay the seller and send a signed copy of my Receiving FFL to them, they in turn send the gun to the FFL dealer.
    I am done here.

Boolit Master
    This kind of transaction does not fall within the intent and purpose of a C&R license. The buyer and C&R licensee are seemingly trying to bypass whatever restrictions (local or state laws, convicted felon, illegal alien, terrorist watch list, etc.) that prohibit the buyer from either possessing or buying a gun.

While shipping the gun to the C&R licensee is certainly legal, the admitted quick transfer of it to a non-licensee, as well as your knowledge of it, could be potentially illegal. This is not something that I, as an 11-year C&R holder, would ever want to become involved in. What if this potential transaction is an ATF set-up? Is the ATF monitoring the licensee because he's done this before?

Aside: I know an 01 licensee (dealer) who has reported such infractions to the ATF.
    Last edited by 462; 11-24-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    When you ship to another FFL licensee, he is then the responsible party when it leaves his hands.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Funny, Thats how it works on gunbroker.com. , Auction arms, Cabelas, etc.
    If I buy a gun I pay the seller and send a signed copy of my Receiving FFL to them, they in turn send the gun to the FFL dealer.
    I am done here.
    That's legal for an 01 FFL but not an 03 FFL.

This is odd. I sent the guy an email last night requesting an 01FFL to ship to or it he couldn't come up with one, an offer to return his money. Before now, he'd been quick to respond (less than 1/2 an hour) to an email via his cell phone (tapatalk), but he's not responded to this most recent email I sent. I know it's a Thanksgiving weekend, but sure seems odd the guy's not responding when he had been responding so quickly and I have his money order.

Boolit Buddy
    Go with your gut. From the beginning, you did not like the smell of this deal. You are not required to sell anything, especially as no real contract was made. I would not even consider a sale from this point on.

If you have any mis-givings at all, don't do it.

Boolit Buddy
    My opinion as a C&R license holder:

DO NOT complete this transaction. Unless you got the request/money from the out-of-state C&R licensee, this basically IS a strawman purchase. While it might be technically "legal" to do this, sooner or later, you will find a BATFE higher authority who would be more than willing to take out both you and the C&R holder for this activity. It's not worth it, and for us C&R holders, just provides the antis and gun-hostile politicians more reasons to restrict/eliminate the entire C&R license. We happily fly under most of the "gun issue" radar because we do things legally, and are less likely to be tempted to go astray, like some less-than-ethical, greedy 01FFL holders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast