Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Perrennial question: is the 7-30 Waters enough for deer? 230 yards, heck yes!

Exclamation Perrennial question: is the 7-30 Waters enough for deer? 230 yards, heck yes!

Once again, the old man popped a buck at 225 yards (plus) with his G2 Contender rifle and a 23" 7-30 Waters barrel, with a 120 grain Nosler.

About even with the upper right corner of the barn, there is the single tree at the fenceline.

Attachment 61564

Blasted thing took three of us to lift up and slide into his Jeep.

For you nay-sayers that think anything below 3,000 fps and 160 grain (or bigger) bullets is barely adequate, think again... Now if I could only see one that isn't on the skyline or running, I might see how 130 grain Speer HotCors do...

Last edited by ohland; 02-17-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have the 7-30 waters barrel in a super 14. Pleanty accurate and it does hit hard. I am using 150 grain hunters from a NOE mold water quenched 50-50. It has pleanty of thump.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been on a "slimming-down" kick for a few years now - narrowing things down to the few I really need, like, use and apprciate and threads like this cause that old counter-productive tingle to start when one gets excited about a "new" cratridge. I have always been a 7mm fan, prticularly the 7x57, and have been interested in the 7-30 Waters since it came out - just never got around to that one.

If H&R were to chamber the 7-30 Waters (and get their act together in a number of other ways) I would likely succumb and add one more rifle when I should be removing two more. As much as it hurts to admit this, I could probably (for the type of shooting that I do) replace my 30-30, 6.5x55 and .257 Roberts with a good-shooting 7-30 Waters and be in good shape with a couple jacketed loads and a cast load or two. If a Ruger Number Three were to come along in that chambering, I would lose all composure and start trading things I thought were what i really needed.

Boolit Bub
    I have the 7-30 Waters in a TC Contender Carbine. Love that rifle, really fun to shoot. If things work out I may have a chance to use it on black bear over bait this coming spring. It should be more than adequate for a 50 yard shot on a bear that weighs less than 300 pounds.

Boolit Buddy
    I love my Contender carbine and the 7-30 will do work. I have taken two pigs and two deer with mine in the last two seasons. My longest has been 175yds and also shot a hog about 6 years ago at about 150 yds with my super 14. I'm about ready to get out of the 7mm08 business.
    Ohland, which Nosler are you using? I've been using Speer 120 Hot Cor for my Contender and the Saeco 145FP for my Win 94. I'm out of the Hot Cor and apparently they are no longer made. I guess if I continue with the j-words it will be the Sierra 120 Pro Hunter

Using the 120 gr Nosler in the 7-30 and I use the Speer Hot Cor 130gr FBSPT in my 7mm-08.

Speer makes two 7mm Hot Cors (both 130gr)
    1623 7mm 130 / 8.42 Spitzer SP
    1625 7mm 130 / 8.42 SPFN