RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please rate the mould manufacturers!

Boolit Master

Please rate the mould manufacturers!

For those of you that have used several "brands" of moulds, could you list them in order of Best to worst. Those being equal group together. I'm curious to see how this works out! Thanks! Here's mine;

Best= (Mihec, NOE, RCBS, NEI)
    Ok= Lyman (2 good, 1 undersized GC shank, 1 undersized, 1 not round)
    Worst= Lee
    Last edited by fatelvis; 07-01-2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: used more crappy Lee molds
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Grand Master

Best= Mihec, NOE, Accurate, Mountain Molds
    Very good= RCBS, LBT
    So-So= Lyman, SAECO
    Poor= LEE

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

I have 6 Lee molds and I like them, so they are the only ones that I can talk about.

Moderator Emeritus

I can't really do this, Lee's are gonna be notoriously rated as poor, BUT I have had Lee 2 cav. molds that cast as good as any. Besides Lee, I have cast with Herters, Hensley, NOE, Lyman, MP, TC, LBT, Accurate Molds, RCBS, Seaco, ....and soon Balisticast.

I could rate individual molds, but I won't rate all the manufacturers in order of best to worst. BUT, I will state my personal favorite.

That is NOE. For a very reasonable price, Al makes top quality molds and he provides good quality accessories as well as instruction (personal, if needed) And quite possibly the best customer service (I've had the odd luck to need that from him, not due to quality, just an honest mistake).
    Jon
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 11-19-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Best: MP molds, LBT, NOE, SAECO
    Very good: RCBS, Ballisti-cast/H&G, Mimek, NEI
    Good: Lee, older Lyman
    Poor: New Lyman

I don't have any experience with Accurate molds and Mountain molds yet, but I'm sure they are up there with the best.
    Last edited by Humbo; 11-19-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added info

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Best ; H&G , Cramer , Hoch and old time NEI
    Very good ; LBT , RCBS , Lachmiller and a Saeco from about thirty years ago
    Good ; Ideal and some older Lyman along with a LEE sometimes
    Poor ; NOE , LEE ( normally ) Lyman most of the time now

Lots of molds I haven't tried Mihec and Accurate come to mind but I may get an Accurate for my Russian zip gun just to try it out .

Jack

Boolit Master

Well, you are the first person I have ever heard of calling an NOE mould "poor"...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Best ; H&G , Cramer , Hoch and old time NEI
    Very good ; LBT , RCBS , Lachmiller and a Saeco from about thirty years ago
    Good ; Ideal and some older Lyman along with a LEE sometimes
    Poor ; NOE , LEE ( normally ) Lyman most of the time now

Lots of molds I haven't tried Mihec and Accurate come to mind but I may get an Accurate for my Russian zip gun just to try it out .

Jack

Boolit Master

I am also curious as to why you rated Noe as poor? I have 29 molds from NOE. They all perform very well. Customer service is excellent.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Boolit Mold
    Best---RCBS
    Second best---Lyman
    Worst by far---Lee

Boolit Master

Best - H&G, Mihec, NOE
    Good - Old Lymans, RCBS, LBT actually very good
    Not so good - Some Lee's

Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've had only a few moulds that aren't Lee moulds.

Best 3 RCBS
    Good 5 old Lyman
    Acceptable 11 Lees

I will quantify this all of the RCBS and Lyman moulds are 2nd hand , 3 of the Lyman moulds are aluminum Maxi ball moulds and work well but 1 of them has closing alignment problems about 1 in 10 . 2 RB moulds are a little quirky to work w/and require your full attn to walk the line between hot/cold/too hot.

The RCBS moulds also 2nd hand an RB, 45-200 swc and a 27-130. All worked well right "outta the box" and are all iron moulds. The RB is a little quirky but runs well once you get it in the running window. The RCBS moulds are easier to keep in the run window temperature wise I don't foresee me ever running more than a 2C iron mould

Lee, well "acceptable" means its a simple tool to do a simple job.... ....a job which requires that tool. They work work, they heat up fast,come w/handles on every single and double, and for the same money at retail pricing I can get 11 6 C Lee moulds for what it would cost to replace the 8 Lyman and RCBS singles and doubles dollar for dollar or! ( 2C moulds. I'm one that will buy a wear tool based on it doing the job if its 1 I'm likely to wear out and I can buy 2 that will last 2/3 as long each as the good 1 that costs twice as much I'll buy them. At this point except a couple of commercial casters here I bet nobodies ever said "I gotta get a new RCBS iron mould mines just worn out " and if they did it must have been abused and/or cast about about 10 million Boolits. Added bonus of Lee moulds no rust wingtips at the end of a session and if you boogger 1 up you can afford to replace it and/or try your hand at prototyping a patch mould from the 1 you wrecked 1 calibre up or more.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Re: Please rate the mould manufacturers!

I feel like there ought to be a higher category for Miha's molds. The term Fine Art comes to mind but you guys call them as you see fit.

Super Moderator

Based solely on my personal experience:

1) RCBS best
    2)Lyman good
    3) LEE hit & miss passable

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorggg View Post
    I am also curious as to why you rated Noe as poor? I have 29 molds from NOE. They all perform very well. Customer service is excellent.
    That's easy , I bought two of them . First one wouldn't take a Hornady gas check unless you used a mallet to put it on regardless of alloy . The second absolutely refused to fill out no matter the alloy , temperature , ladle or bottom pour , how it was cleaned , time of day or cycle of the moon .

Jack

Boolit Grand Master

All my molds work and that's all that matters. Like any product there will be lemons from time to time. I am in the process of replacing all my aluminum molds with brass but this is just personal preference. There is nothing wrong with the aluminum molds. Why bother rating them when they all work?

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Boolit Master

H&G
    Lee
    Lyman
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Moderator Emeritus

1] LBT, NOE, old H&G
    2]RCBS
    3] Lyman, some Lee, Saeco-casts great after they fixed it bought in 2004-
    4] Le rest of the Lee's
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

NOE rated as poor?? you have got to be kidding me. I have 12 NOE molds and all work great and any checks that where a no fit from hornady turned out to be undersized for a 308 caliber.NOE is one of the best mfg's in the USA. gd
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

There isn't really any way to rate them, they are just in catagories that mostly follow the price you pay

Group 1= NOE, H&G-Ballisticast(so far my best),MP, Accurate(my second fav's), I don't own any NEI,LBT or Mountain Molds but I would assume they would be in here.

Group 2= RCBS, Seaco, Lyman , MAYBE a few Lee, basically factory stock molds

Group 3= Lee (if price is a concideration they can be higher than some of the others in group 2)

If someone had 30 of each brand maybe a person could give an accurate rating based on condition recieved, tweeking needed to work better/or at all, return for refund or replacement ect... otherwise to rate on a few samples is rather inaccurate.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Master
    Best= Mihec, NOE, Accurate, Mountain Molds,CBE, Hoch
    Very good= RCBS,Saeco
    OK= Lyman,
    Poor= NEI
    Worst= Lee
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast