Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eyestrain from new screen format

Boolit Grand Master
    Never had trouble with the speed of the old format. Kind of preferred the blue hue, it was easier on the eyes and was different from any other forum.

Geesh, I don't believe it, I must be getting older, I am complaining about this stuff!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info on changing the color of the screen. BIG IMPROVEMENT !!!!!

Boolit Master

I appreciate this site and the effort the moderators and GunLoadMaster put into it. If the upgrade makes it easier for them to manage this site, I can 'afford' to learn how to use it.

Thanks, Gear, for the hint. Maybe a future upgrade can allow the custom look to follow subsequent log-in's.

Just my $0.02.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Scroll to the very bottom left of the screen, click on the drop-down menu, and select "cb custom". That helped me a bunch.

Gear
    Mucho' better,thank you compadre'!
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Buddy
    I really like the new thread “start date/time” feature.

How many casters does it take to change a light bulb?

One to change the bulb, and four to say how much they miss the old bulb.

Boolit Master

I very much like the new format and think it is an improvement to the old one.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    Hold control down and roll your mouse wheel to make it larger
    Learned something new today. Thanks!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Mold
    What I am finding is that I cannot stay logged in. The little check box is half covered by advertising and will not let me check it off.

Boolit Master
    CB Custom seems to change the text size on the subforums but not on the main page.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master
    I understand the need for the change -- security -- and I did switch to the CB Custom setting, yesterday afternoon, but the pages blast out at the eyes and it doesn't take too long till they start to ache.

I'm confident that the bugs will soon be gone and everyone will be happy.

Boolit Master

The ASSRA site went through this some time back, same complaints most likely from the same people and just as justified. They eventually went back to a format with coloring quite similar to what they had. Problem solved.
    There is nothing wrong with change as long as it isn't just for the sake of change itself. To gain something is good.
    I for one never had any complaints with the old format other than pictures had to be of a certain size before they could be posted and I was just getting the hang of reducing them when the for format was adopted. Not sure how it is now. Some sites will automatically reduce to the correct size no matter what size they are submitted and if this is the case now then I would call that progress.
    You must consider your audience. The ASSRA site is mostly a bunch of older cadgers and I think there is a fair share of them here. Myself included.
    Speaking as one of these older types, the black print on a gray background is a real eye killer. One needs a more gentile contrast. Used to do a lot of night flying, hour after hour and found that to relax my eyes that a couple of the instruments that had a bluish tint to them would just reach out and relax my eyes even better than the traditional red.
    The print size does need to be enlarged a bit and yes, I can enlarge it with the control and roll trick ( learned something new here !! ) but I have to reset it for each time I come back. How many here look for a bit then go somewhere else then come back ? I do a lot. No real problem but it is aggravating.
    Don't have much use for a "belly acher" but if the print size could be increase just the smallest amount and get away from the black on gray it sure would be greatly appreciated.
    Just my .02 worth.

Banned

you can go to your settings page and set the default to cb custom.

Andy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Scroll to the very bottom left of the screen, click on the drop-down menu, and select "cb custom". That helped me a bunch.

Gear
    That was a big improvement. I was already at 125% enlargement. Thanks Gear.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

I like it, I like it a lot!

Boolit Buddy
    New format is useless on my phone. The mobile version sucks. And to use the desktop site on my phone blows. I may stop using this site over this. I have stopped using a few sites due to this problem on New formats. Blows. But I come here to read and learn. Not to get frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    It will take some getting used to , but its here to stay !
    It is faster...
    Rich
    Like Obama ?

Seriously, just going to a better typeface will help a LOT. Ariel is good for machine-readable applications, but we ain't machines. Well, most of us anyway.

Times New Roman (Bold)

System (Bold)

Palatino Linotype (Bold)
    Last edited by uscra112; 11-19-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Anyone else getting eyestrain from trying to read the new format? Text is now ridiculously small and thin, and I can't even change it in Firefox Options. How can I make it revert to the old screen format? CB now has the look and feel of inferior forae like Rimfire Central. More eyestrain headaches I do not need an my age.
    Try the view/zoom/reset option in the menu bar. Then check mark the " zoom text only". My latest Firefox version (16.0.2) does not give you the option of putting the zoom in/zoom out function in the toolbar, which is represented by a +/-, and is handy as you can either hit the + or the - and change font size with out having to go up the menu bar. Fortunately, my settings were kept when I upgraded to the new version. This option is not available in this version of Firefox. In previous versions, you go "view/tools/customize" then drag the +/- to the toolbar then you are set. I would uninstall the program then download an earlier version of Firefox to get this option and hopefully your resizing problems will go away. Also, me thinks the white color could be toned down a bit. Kinda slaps you in the face, especially when you have a 27 inch monitor.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gmsharps View Post

That did it for me also.

gmsharps
    Yep, me too! Now it's big enough to read. I really don't like to complain after the fellers in charge here go to a lot of trouble to make our time spent on Castboolits easier/better...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Moondawg View Post
    New Format is not an improvement, it makes my old eyes hurt just looking at it. I much preferred the old format. If it ain't broke, why try to fix it.
    As I understood from talking with a few of the staff here, the old software (hence the "format") was broken in the fact that as the geek world is constantly changing and updating and improving their geekdom toys, old formats and software becomes incompatible.

I still have a number of old Macintosh computers (Apple) from the 80's and 90's and even early 2000's in which they are simply not compatible with new software.

I'd noticed that we were starting to have a few more glitches and a noticeable reduction in upload speed with the old software (format) and it wasn't going to be long before the forum really became user-unfriendly.

Also if you'll note, every year we have a server fund-raising drive so that we can keep THAT piece of hardware as up-to-date, modern and efficient as possible.

I, too, was more comfortable with the "old look" of Cast Boolits, but I'll trade looks for content and ease of use any day of the week.

Willy did a superb job and he's not finished yet as there are still a few insects that need to be addressed and he's doing that.

Boolit Master

Whole lotta learnen goin on here !!
    Went from CB custom to default style, shows more blues in the tint. MUCH easier on the eyes and stays when I leave then come back.
    Think this is just one of those deals where you tighten the cinch, put on your spurs and put your chew in the middle of your mouth and hang on. It will work !!!