RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H i Point Carbine

H i Point Carbine

I never really paid much attention to a HP carbine. Ugliest gun I ever seen. But I had a chance to shoot one in .40. With a 1.5X scope, it but 5 rnds. @ 25 yards you could cover with your thumb. And I don't have big hands. Anybody else been around these things??
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Well, "ugly" is a pretty forgiving description of the little troll.
    However, I too have shot one of the humpback little beasts, and have decided that it's kinda like a fat girl.
    It may be fun, but you don't want to be seen in public with one.
    Griz44Mag
    Here in Texas, It's the Biggest, Best and Most Important (or we just won't talk about it)

Moderator Emeritus

I have one in 40, it remains unfired as of yet.
    Someday soon as my SIL has interest in shooting it.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I have one in 9mm with the ati stock and red dot on it. It is a blast to shoot and quite accurate too. The ATI stock takes care of the ugly factory stock!

Boolit Buddy

That is one ugly gun but gunsmiths have told me they never come back for repair.

Boolit Master
    I had one in 9mm but I traded it for a Marlin Camp Carbine. It shot extremely well and I don't think I ever had a malfunction with it. They are quite a bargain.

If they ever make a high cap version I would probably pick one up.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M4bushy View Post
    I have one in 9mm with the ati stock and red dot on it. It is a blast to shoot and quite accurate too. The ATI stock takes care of the ugly factory stock!
    I have one with the ATI stock as well ... add a light with a pressure switch and a red dot scope (1x) and you have the perfect home defense rifle. If you have to use it and it is kept as evidence, you are not out a lot of money.

Love mine .. dead on accurate as well and the OP stated.

I had a 995 carbine. The new style Hi Points are sexy compared with the 995! I totally regret selling it. It never misfired on me.

I currently have a Hi-point .380ACP pistol that I keep stashed in my car (in the hub in the spare tire). I take it out once in a while and fire mostly cheapo Blaser ammo out of it. I have to admit, both the carbine and the pistol are hideous, but neither has given me a hiccup. And from what I understand, customer service is second to none. A buddy of mine had jam after jam with his .40 pistol, and they just replaced it without a question. And made in the USA.

My impression is if you get a good one, they are very good. Once in a while you get one that's flaky one.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Master
    Aint the place to put it, but I have 3 old style hi-point 9mm carbine mags I'll let go for $18. Just sayin...................
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Well I picked one up in 45 acp. Did some research on the net and found how to convert 1911 mags to fit. Been shooting Lee 230TL and Unique. Seems to work it likes jacketed better. If I could figure out how to post pictures on this new format I would

Boolit Grand Master

Only bad point is the chap magazines I have had to replace a few of those.

Boolit Lady

I have one in 9 mm; shoots great, very accurate, and a lot of fun! My only problem is keeping enough ammo loaded up for it-- EVERYONE wants to shoot it when we go to the range!

Bought a 45 pistol, too. And IT shoots great. Weighs a ton, but shoots great!

Boolit Master

Pro's -Best firearms warranty in the business 2nd to none(The best)!!!!Accurate, and they function, my purchase was made knowing this.The con is they are hard to classify as tactical with a 10 round magazine, and they were not designed for a models runway,pretty is only skin deep normally anyway... I proudly own the 9 & the 45!Try one and then report your findings,don't listen to the negative opinions,you don't have to pay mucho' dinero' to get a fully functional & accurate and reliable weapon! GT27
    Last edited by GT27; 11-20-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Master
    I didn't know there was a 45. Why did you have to tell me that?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

I wasn't aware they shot all that well. No exposure to them. Odd thing, today I stopped by the local gun shop and the owner just took one in on a trade (a 955 in 9 mm) Homely as a mud turtle but in good shape with three mags. I thought 140.00 was reasonable for a barn gun if nothing else. I'm blaming all the people that have been participating in this thread I didn't know I had a scratch till I read this dang thread.

Vendor Sponsor

They are ugly things, however sometimes form follows function, and if the function is right then you can learn to live with the looks.

I am currently working on finding and buying a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 rifle in .40 S&W which is similar to the HiPoint in function but folds in half and uses Glock mags.

I think it is a better gun but the problem is they are hard to find and you don't see them in gunstores because they are gone as soon as they show up. If they show up at all.

That said, the .40 S&W and 9MM cartridges seem to deliver excellent short range accuracy when fired from rifle length barrels.

I think the Hi Point could be an excellent home defense weapon, similar to what I expect the KT to be.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    I wasn't aware they shot all that well. No exposure to them. Odd thing, today I stopped by the local gun shop and the owner just took one in on a trade (a 955 in 9 mm) Homely as a mud turtle but in good shape with three mags. I thought 140.00 was reasonable for a barn gun if nothing else. I'm blaming all the people that have been participating in this thread I didn't know I had a scratch till I read this dang thread.
    I'll give you 150

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Aint the place to put it, but I have 3 old style hi-point 9mm carbine mags I'll let go for $18. Just sayin...................
    Which brings up another great thing about Hi-Points... Buy the mags from the factory for $17 shipped free! But 3 for $18 is a steal.

If you do ever need anything, and can do the job yourself, they will ship the parts to you for free, something S&W has stopped doing (at least for my Shield 40, Bodyguard 380 and 500).

After starting with a Hi-Point 40 JCP pistol, added the 4095TS (tactical stock), which takes the same 40 S&W mags. Later could not pass up a used 9mm pistol for $120. After a couple days thought about selling the 9mm, since 9mm is not my thing, but the hassles selling these changed my mind and figured for $120, might as well just keep it. It is the most accurate and reliable handgun I own (even better than the S&W's mentioned), and the only pistol that comes close is the Hi-Point 40 JCP. After several hundred rounds of Lee 120gr TC cast boolits, zero issues to report. Always went bang. Even these pistols are 50 yard range shooters (fully adjustable factory 3 dot sights, along with blowback fixed barrels help).

Some copy and paste from Hi-Point:

The Hi-Point Warranty
    All Hi-Point firearms carry a lifetime, "no-questions asked
    warranty." Whether you are the original purchaser, or the
    third-hand owner, your Hi-Point firearm will be repaired
    free of charge.

Cleaning and Maintenance:
    Barrel should be brushed every 300-400 rounds. Complete disassembly and cleaning at 1500 to 2000 rounds.
    Last edited by RobsTV; 11-20-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Everybody talks about how ugly these guns are. I guess I am lacking in gun fashion, I like the way they look. But looks isn't what really matters, this thing never malfunctions and eats ammo as fast as you can pull the trigger. With the green luminated light and red dot, the night time garden pest don't have much of a chance. Mine is 45acp, 25 yards is close to one hole accuracy, still trying to improve the 50 yard range as groups open up to about 6 inches. It will thump the 12" gong at 75 yards all day long. Been feeding it mihec 200 gr hollow points

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hi Point 007.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	54235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hi Point 008_1024x768.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	54236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hi Point 005_1024x768.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	54237

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I, too, am a Hi-Point owner, just not the carbine. I have a C9 9mm pistol and it eats anything I feed it. I wanted a cheap-O pistol that I wouldn't mind if it got stolen or confiscated. I wouldn't be out that much moula. It's kinda heavy with that zymac slide but the dang thing is rated at plus p ++. Mine shoots right and I don't think the sights are exactly on centerline, but for $139 I couldn't pass it up. It's my CC weapon eventhough it's heavy. Made in America by Americans and the lifetime warranty is just a plus for the heavy little pistol. I had a few feeding problems right outta the box. I bought an extra 10 round magazine for it and found the spring in the mag was put in backwards. The original mag that came with it had problems too. I fixed that when I took it apart. They had put the spring in with a twist in it and it wouldn't hold 8 rounds. The feed lips on the mags had to be adjusted and now it never jams. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."