RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Should I worry about the ring?

Boolit Mold

Should I worry about the ring?

Should I worry about the ring on the nose affecting accuracy?

Boolit Master
    I would say out to 100 yards probably not? The question is how did the ring get there? If it is from using the bullet to compress the powder then I would suggest getting a compression die instead. If it is commercial, I would try to find out why?

Boolit Master

Probably not. If you were shooting long range the flaw "may" affect it, but I'd highly doubt it for up to 100 yards. My opinion based on my experience.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    I read your post in another section. If you can't buy a 45-70 round nose seating stem, try a 45 acp round nose seating stem. A friend with a lathe would be helpful.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, I wasn't sure how much traffic it would get here.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Probably going to have a good bit of leading with that. For the seater stem to leave that much of a mark on a bullet it's liable to be compressing and changing the diameter and overall shape of the bullet nose.
    I'ld suggest you use an M die to expand the case a bit more so the bullet doesn't fit so tight in the case, or shooting the cases without resizing, or if loading blackpowder compress the powder before seating the bullet.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Mold

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the good advice, the alloy I used has a BHN of 10. The same for a 30 to 1 alloy. Its new brass, so I'll look forward to not resizing it. I also compressed the powder before seating, I also used a grease cookie. A big ole ball of Grimstache's special blend.
    At some point I'd like to be able to make rounds at the range while building a load for my baby. I think I'm the youngest guy at my club with a Sharps, everyone thinks its my Dad's.

Boolit Master
    I've seen that ring from two causes. 1) Wrong top punch in a lubrisizer. 2) Wrong seater in seating die. If the bullet is correctly sized, alloy correct, lube is good, load is good, bore is good, etc., etc., that ring is only cosmetic and will have little or no effect on accuracy or leading. It seems that with the soft alloy, your seater is wrong, so get a better fitting seater for the RN style. Also, it should not take much pressure to seat the bullet if your case neck has been sized/expanded correctly. If you are not using an M die or using one incorrectly- use one and adjust it so the small, short step barely enters the case mouth--- just enough so the bullet base can be pushed in by hand prior to seating. Good luck!
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    I've seen that ring from two causes. 1) Wrong top punch in a lubrisizer. 2) Wrong seater in seating die. If the bullet is correctly sized, alloy correct, lube is good, load is good, bore is good, etc., etc., that ring is only cosmetic and will have little or no effect on accuracy or leading. It seems that with the soft alloy, your seater is wrong, so get a better fitting seater for the RN style. Also, it should not take much pressure to seat the bullet if your case neck has been sized/expanded correctly. If you are not using an M die or using one incorrectly- use one and adjust it so the small, short step barely enters the case mouth--- just enough so the bullet base can be pushed in by hand prior to seating. Good luck!
    fouronesix gave you some good advice. I had the same problem when I first started casting. I was using a softer aloy than you. Good Luck.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne