RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything

Thread: TC Hawkins .50 cal price check...

Boolit Buddy

Question TC Hawkins .50 cal price check...

found a used TC hawkins rifle, brass fittings, looks good to the outside but didn't have my drop in bore lamp to look inside. The shop is "getting out of BP" and the shop keep quoted me $200 when he thought it was a Cabela's model. The bore looked clean and crisp as far as I could see into the muzzle. Double set trigger doesn't fuction, but I've putzed with those enough to know that it's most likely somebody fiddled with it till it was out of adjustment, so that doesn't worry me.

opinions? I doubt I can talk him down much due to two factors; 1. he now realizes that it's a TC and 2. the sticker price was much, much higher before the markdown.

seems like a good price for a TC product if the bore looks nice all the way in...

Boolit Master
    If you drop a light down and see a clean bore - yes very good price! The one caveat is that if the sear catch on the set portion of the trigger is broken off then it's more than simple adjustment. But you can always shoot it with the front trigger if the lock sear functions as it should. You could take a screw driver with you and if the owner agrees- take the guard off and trigger out and have a look see. Have the $200 cash in the other hand when asking.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

the stock is worth about 150 if in good condition and not cracked & you can pickup a set of used triggers for around 50 bucks

I just picked one up today with a TC scope for 200.Bore isn't the best I ever saw but not bad.Set trigger did'nt work till I adjusted it.Has a nick or 2 in the stock but I don't feel I did to bad on it.Just my 2 cents.

Boolit Buddy

It is MINE!

Dropped the bore lamp in and she looked new! No preening on the nipple, the hammer nose barely had a mark on its face, and the double set trigger needed a few turns out to begin engaging (works as designed now). Couple on nicks in wood from storage but not a speck of rust anywhere. I pulled the nipple (swapped out for a musket cap nipple) and the was no fouling in the breech.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Good news about the bore and trigger- that's a very good deal!
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by badge176 View Post
    Dropped the bore lamp in and she looked new! No preening on the nipple, the hammer nose barely had a mark on its face, and the double set trigger needed a few turns out to begin engaging (works as designed now). Couple on nicks in wood from storage but not a speck of rust anywhere. I pulled the nipple (swapped out for a musket cap nipple) and the was no fouling in the breech.
    Just my thought, watch out using the musket caps, the hammer is not large enough to fully cover the cap, I have picked pieces of musket cap out of my face with a TC Hawken .50 cal. I have not had a problem with a enfield the hammer covers the cap very well.

Boolit Buddy
    if i could jump in here a sec... i picked up a .50cal t/c hawken rifle kit from the flea market for a steal of a price and was wondering how much i could sell it for if i decide to sell it instead of assemble it. it has all parts on the parts list and is very clean. anyone? thx.

L. Bottoms

Boolit Mold
    What are the advantages / disadvantages of a .54 over the .50 Hawken ???

Obviously bigger - But according the TC website they don't make the .54 anymore - is it a problem or bad gun ??

Boolit Master

In a 54 the gun is a little lighter, has slightly more recoil, will have a flatter trajectory at the same volicity compared to a 50. The 54 will use slightly more powder to get the same volicity.

In large shiolette use the 50 on calm days to avoid recoil fatigue. Use the 54 in the wind as a bigger ball has less wind deflection.

The 54 has more knockdown in big game hunting.

I currently have round ball guns in 32,40,45,50, 54, 58, and 72. They all have their place and use. What I realy want is a 25 now.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Perm-Banned
    good price wish i could find those deals. if trigger is bad buy a good used one really cheap off of ebay. you will love that gun. johnson1942

Boolit Buddy
    My good luck on this one balances out the spanking I got buying a very used NEF .50 cal Huntsman from a pawn shop last year- don't ask, it wasn't pretty.

Perm-Banned
    to lead butt: brand new ones put to gether well is no less than 750 dollars and up if they are special. a good used one in rapid city s.dak cost 370 dollars. junk cost 280 0r 290. it kit that is waiting to be built, i have no idea. that is what what i would want because as a builder i could make them come out way better than factory new. you have a real find wish i could do that. thats the price i pay for living extreemly rural, but thats why i am here. some one will be lucky to get it if you dont finish it for your self.